LG 42-inch OLED

Soldato
I picked one of these up in the sales and it's arriving tomorrow. I have a 65cm deep desk, will I survive?

Going to vary if you mount it, how far back you sit. My desk is only 60cm deep, but mine is mounted vs stand which saves about 5cm (as it still partly hovers over the desk) in terms of eyes to monitor about 90cm and find it fine.

Impressive am sure its all fine the settings, so all one had to do now is do that firmware trick to rename the TV to an G2 to get the extra brightness and disable firmware updates so it can't fix itself then add an heat plate on top of the Evo processor, take a picture of it and email it to LG saying this is how to go about doing it :D

Amusingly someone else with G2 and larger C2 used as monitor on AVS noticed same thing today: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2022-lg-c2-g2-owners-thread-no-price-talk.3236262/post-61780881

So cannot be going fully mad. G2 does stay decently brighter with ABSL not being as aggressive. Heh, I suggest someone try those tweaks with the C2 :cry: :D

• Haha
Reactions: R3X
Associate
Would it not be even better to have it wall mounted on that back wall though?

The better depth between you and the 42 C2 is always going to help imo and it makes such a big difference from going stand on desk to wall mounted, you free up so much space and it just feels more OCD cleaner.

I may well do yes. I wanted to try it out first, I'm very happy and will be keeping it. My 65" is mounted on the wall in the living room, it's a much cleaner look.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I picked one of these up in the sales and it's arriving tomorrow. I have a 65cm deep desk, will I survive?

its a highly debatable subject which size and depth of desk is suitable, I have 80cm depth can't do it sure I could live with it and adapt to it which I have done so with an 48" and 42" in the past but I wouldn't be happy happy if you get me or should I say my eyes and brain wouldn't be happy.

For a daily monitor id prefer 28-34" and the 42" or above for gaming, movies etc

I think everyone is different due to room lay out and size, but generally Id say most on these threads have said the bigger the depth desk the better.

I think 120cm depth would be ideal for me since I moved my desk a good 40cm forward from the wall and found it was so much nicer.

One guy in the past put a thick plyboard on top and modded his desk to give himself 100cm+ depth, I see where he was going with that idea!

I use to advice in the past cut a piece of paper or cardboard of the screen size and stick it on the wall with bluetack so you can get some sense of
depth but to be fair its one of those things you need in front of you to really grasp the sheer scale and size of the screen and if you eyes and brain
can handle it.

If you are able to take breaks every 20 minutes and actually stick with it you could ignore the essay above lol

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I may well do yes. I wanted to try it out first, I'm very happy and will be keeping it. My 65" is mounted on the wall in the living room, it's a much cleaner look.

ahh gotcha, it makes the world of difference imo when its wall mounted just look for a slim wall mount I use:

Amazon Basics Performance Range 32-70" Low Profile Flat to Wall TV Mount​

16mm from the wall, I believe its one of the closest wall mounts going and the 42" looks like a painting on the wall almost.

Soldato
Is the Burn In protection any better on these than the C9? I effectively killed a C9 with Fifa in the space of about 9 months.

Was thinking of getting Samsung G8 when it drops, but having seen the extremely aggressive curve on it I don't think its the one for me so now considering other options.

Man of Honour
Is the Burn In protection any better on these than the C9? I effectively killed a C9 with Fifa in the space of about 9 months.

Was thinking of getting Samsung G8 when it drops, but having seen the extremely aggressive curve on it I don't think its the one for me so now considering other options.
It depends in what way you “killed a C9”? Burn in protection can only do so much, if your usage patterns are largely the same I expect you’d have the same risks with any OLED

Soldato
i know its probably a stupid question to ask but is the C2 capable of running at 120hz for gaming?
It sure is!

You will need HDMI 2.1 for 4k 10-bit 120Hz. If you have anything pre-30 series Nvidia you will be limited in either framerate or colour depth. You can pick and choose i.e. with my GTX 1070 I play 1080p HDR for 120Hz and stick to 60Hz for 4k.

Associate
Does it add any delay to the audio though? I was using ARC with my CX but it actually added just a tiny bit of lag to the audio which was annoying enough that I went back to using a phantom monitor.

Ya, in order to get Dolby Atmos I have to run "Bitstream" instead of PCM which adds like 100ms of audio lag. I found an even larger problem though. While randomly opening Youtube etc in Chrome, an extremely loud and sharp glitch/buzzing sound occurs which scares the **** out of me. So looks like I will have to go back to PCM and lose Dolby Atmos.

Another thing I forgot with these dang OLED TV's is it precludes me from being able to see my BIOS POST screen. That is super frustrating and basically means I need to keep some sort of backup monitor around. Has anyone found a way around these LG TV's not displaying BIOS screens?

Soldato
Ya, in order to get Dolby Atmos I have to run "Bitstream" instead of PCM which adds like 100ms of audio lag. I found an even larger problem though. While randomly opening Youtube etc in Chrome, an extremely loud and sharp glitch/buzzing sound occurs which scares the **** out of me. So looks like I will have to go back to PCM and lose Dolby Atmos.

Another thing I forgot with these dang OLED TV's is it precludes me from being able to see my BIOS POST screen. That is super frustrating and basically means I need to keep some sort of backup monitor around. Has anyone found a way around these LG TV's not displaying BIOS screens?

I don't have an issue, I can see my bios as long as the TV is booted a couple of seconds before the PC, restarts no problem

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I may update the thread with some photos showing exactly how I extended the power supply cable.

Unfortunately, I had to order some pieces to finish my latest PC build and I can't do anything else so... :D

R3X

R3X

Soldato
£944 at Costco :)

Few questions if I may, been desperate to hunt down someone who got it from costco.

What build date do you have on the back of it (should say on the sticker) and does your serial number start with 204 by chance?

Long shot here you don't also have a service menu remote and know what the oled module number is?

By chance do you know when Costcos offer expires, not a member there so cant see the site but £944 is tempting since they have the best Customer services imo.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

FYI I picked up my service remote from Amazon for about £8 or so. Handy to turn off the auto-dimming feature as well as confirming what panel you get ;)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Is not bad but I would want a warranty that includes burn in and RS does not cover it.
I think to date I have met 1 person with an actual modern OLED (LG C1) ie last 3-4 years who has claimed he had real burn in, but when I asked him for pictures of it got nothing in return.

I think that was the answer :D

These OLED owners in 2018-2020 might have got the very last old OLED panels inside (from 2016-2017) so might have been hit with the burn in issue still which has somewhat skewed the burn in worry further then it is.

Otherwise LG last few years have been very confident burn in should not occur claiming the issue is fixed, which is why I guess Samsung jumped onboard with OLED again since they were also confident the issue was resolved.

Still the JL protection is there and peace of mind is a big factor but I know my JL burn in protection was a giant waste of £140, since you could see the tech working in the background to prevent it all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom