LG 42-inch OLED

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I may update the thread with some photos showing exactly how I extended the power supply cable.

Unfortunately, I had to order some pieces to finish my latest PC build and I can't do anything else so... :D

That pic would be handy if you get the chance, I know guys over on AVF are just cutting it with scissors and joining it up to another plug with gaffer tape and then when it goes faulty trying to undo the quick fix job thinking they will get blamed for the tv fault:cry:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

That pic would be handy if you get the chance, I know guys over on AVF are just cutting it with scissors and joining it up to another plug with gaffer tape and then when it goes faulty trying to undo the quick fix job thinking they will get blamed for the tv fault:cry:

This is the connector for the OEM power cable. It basically houses 2 female spade connectors and I wanted to maintain the original cable, so I removed this and used my own length of 0.7mm2 cable.

This is the inside of the TV. You can see there are two terminals used, either side.

I used zip ties in a cross pattern around the post on the door, to prevent it being accidentally yanked out. Works surprisingly well although there are probably more elegant solutions :p

I believe the spade connectors were just 4mm female spade connectors I bought at B&Q. Again, function over form is king.

This is the end result…

I chose to route all of my cables between the tv bracket and the body of the TV to prevent the cables accidentally falling down under the TV. This is not really required but it helped hold them in place whilst I lifted the thing on my own.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: R3X

R3X

R3X

Soldato

This is the connector for the OEM power cable. It basically houses 2 female spade connectors and I wanted to maintain the original cable, so I removed this and used my own length of 0.7mm2 cable.

This is the inside of the TV. You can see there are two terminals used, either side.

I used zip ties in a cross pattern around the post on the door, to prevent it being accidentally yanked out. Works surprisingly well although there are probably more elegant solutions :p

I believe the spade connectors were just 4mm female spade connectors I bought at B&Q. Again, function over form is king.

This is the end result…

I chose to route all of my cables between the tv bracket and the body of the TV to prevent the cables accidentally falling down under the TV. This is not really required but it helped hold them in place whilst I lifted the thing on my own.

Hope that helps.

thanks, that does look far cleaner and better set up. Shame LG just could not have made that cable a bit longer!

Associate
Tested the G8 vs the 42C2 and there is no comparison across the board. G8 returning to Samsung.

20220630_205238-jpg.488046

Associate
It sounds amazing .. very, very tempting
I'm quite biased, as I like LG products and have had OLED's since they were first released. But honestly, it's well placed praise. They're not perfect but it's an excellent product, especially if you can get it under £1000 and with an extended warranty. :)

My main concern (other than getting used to size) was the FPS you can hold and performance in games but I've had no issues as mentioned. So really it's a win-win-win for me: Tidier desk, larger screen, 4K and far superior colours to my previous monitors (which were good e.g. Acer Predator etc).

Associate
I'm quite biased, as I like LG products and have had OLED's since they were first released. But honestly, it's well placed praise. They're not perfect but it's an excellent product, especially if you can get it under £1000 and with an extended warranty. :)

My main concern (other than getting used to size) was the FPS you can hold and performance in games but I've had no issues as mentioned. So really it's a win-win-win for me: Tidier desk, larger screen, 4K and far superior colours to my previous monitors (which were good e.g. Acer Predator etc).
That has always been my concern is the FPS I would get. As there are loads of benchmarks for the 6800XT at 4K but they always seem to differ and no idea which ones are truly accurate. I know I will get higher frames at 3440x1440p but then the resolution of 4K would be amazing. Having been spoilt all these years of 100-144fps going to 60-90fps I am not sure I will be happy with.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd personally prefer the higher resolution at 60-90fps. You can always upgrade the GPU, but you'd have to buy another monitor/TV to get the higher resolution.

Not to mention you could run a custom resolution on the TV (to simulate 3440x1440) and artificially bump up your fps ;)

Associate
Few questions if I may, been desperate to hunt down someone who got it from costco.

What build date do you have on the back of it (should say on the sticker) and does your serial number start with 204 by chance?

Long shot here you don't also have a service menu remote and know what the oled module number is?

By chance do you know when Costcos offer expires, not a member there so cant see the site but £944 is tempting since they have the best Customer services imo.
Sorry for delay in coming back to you.

Manufactured: 04/2022
Serial number: Begins with 204
How do I find out about service menu remote and oled module number?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Sorry for delay in coming back to you.

Manufactured: 04/2022
Serial number: Begins with 204
How do I find out about service menu remote and oled module number?

cheers much appreciated, that does sound encouraging since its the same as EVHs I believe, April build date and his serial number was also 204MAX
and his is WBE panel.

Did it say 52 W also?

That is another positive sign since it uses less electricity then the WBC panel.

To get to service menu you need a special remote called LG service remote, about a tenner off ebay or Amazon but its ok people buy it to get to the service menu to switch off ASBL auto dimming feature and check hours used and also the OLED module info, its not too important for regular users but if anyone is interested a good video here showing you the basics.

Its important to use it properly since hitting the wrong button can mess things up ie the In stop button should NOT be pressed only instart button

Associate
cheers much appreciated, that does sound encouraging since its the same as EVHs I believe, April build date and his serial number was also 204MAX
and his is WBE panel.

Did it say 52 W also?

That is another positive sign since it uses less electricity then the WBC panel.

To get to service menu you need a special remote called LG service remote, about a tenner off ebay or Amazon but its ok people buy it to get to the service menu to switch off ASBL auto dimming feature and check hours used and also the OLED module info, its not too important for regular users but if anyone is interested a good video here showing you the basics.

Its important to use it properly since hitting the wrong button can mess things up ie the In stop button should NOT be pressed only instart button

This also works without needing to buy a remote. I've only used it to view the panel details so far. Haven't had the courage to try turning off the ABSL :

Associate
Ya, in order to get Dolby Atmos I have to run "Bitstream" instead of PCM which adds like 100ms of audio lag. I found an even larger problem though. While randomly opening Youtube etc in Chrome, an extremely loud and sharp glitch/buzzing sound occurs which scares the **** out of me. So looks like I will have to go back to PCM and lose Dolby Atmos.

Another thing I forgot with these dang OLED TV's is it precludes me from being able to see my BIOS POST screen. That is super frustrating and basically means I need to keep some sort of backup monitor around. Has anyone found a way around these LG TV's not displaying BIOS screens?
I was getting the same issue couldn't get to my BIOS, turns out if I unplug my Vive VR display port cable it works fine

Back
Top Bottom