LG 42-inch OLED

Soldato
I can't wall mount unfortunately as it's a plasterboard wall where my desk is. I was thinking a monitor stand/arm thing but I'm unsure how much space that will get me tbh. From a picture I saw it may even be closer than with the original stand.
You can mount to plasterboard fine. If you are lucky you will find a stud there. If there isn't and you are worried you can mount a piece of ply first and then mount to that

Associate
What's the scoop regarding dead pixels on these? Do TVs have less likelihood versus monitors or is still a complete gamble?
A good question, one I would like to know as well. I don’t think I have seen people post up about dead pixels on OLED but then again I have not looked hard in to it.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I can't wall mount unfortunately as it's a plasterboard wall where my desk is. I was thinking a monitor stand/arm thing but I'm unsure how much space that will get me tbh. From a picture I saw it may even be closer than with the original stand.

I have plasterboard myself, you can purchase snap togglers which are special adaptors for plasterboards they almost clamp behind the wall giving a secure fixture, guys even hang off it in some reviews. I think 1 snap toggler on an plasterboard does something silly like 30-40kg, the C242 is I believe 9kg so even 4-5 would be overkill.

review

If you want extra peace of mind, use a neo magnet about a tenner from amazon and locate your wooden studs behind the plasterboard, then you have even more wall mount strength. I use both my wall mount going into 2 bolts in the wooden studs behind the plasterboard and the rest where there was no wooden studd (too far away from the mounting holes) I used the snap togglers.

Its going to be sturdy and more safe then any stand or desk arm that's for sure.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Where did you get a 100cm desk from? I can’t anything deeper than 80cm.

Very rare and hard to find desk depth beyond 80cm, have checked many times I think the easiest and most cost effective way is to do it custom or DIY, get the desk stand separate maybe those electric height adjustable ones or a sturdy one piece stand and then get a custom size wooden top yourself then you can choose the depth size. You could I guess go to ikea and get their desk tops which are 80cm and since there like 15-20 quid get another one and cut it to size its a bit of DIY though but at least you get the perfect size.

The alternative is like I said earlier, mdf boards, 4x2 wooden bars or just pull it away from the wall and have the gap.

Soldato
What's the scoop regarding dead pixels on these? Do TVs have less likelihood versus monitors or is still a complete gamble?

Going to get odd samples here and there with dead pixels, just return in that case. Vast majority will be fine. Just like most monitors tbh, some will get samples with issues now and then.

Associate
Thanks for the offer. I am waiting till I have a 7900XT before getting the C2. As I think playing 4K on a 6800XT won’t be as good.

Where did you get a 100cm desk from? I can’t anything deeper than 80cm.
I've built my desk and I use a 62cm Oak worktop and then I made a pull out section from Oak also which is 100cm width and 55cm depth so I get around 110cm depth in total.

Could get more if you get longer sliders. The ones I used are really strong, no flex in it so you can smack the desk in frustration when its not going your way in games.

You can get some worktop that is 960mm width, normally used for kitchen islands. Can be expensive though and I preferred the pull out section so the whole desk wasn't so wide.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Just googling and actually spotted some 120cm depth and 100cm depth wooden desk tops here

even height adjustable desk stands here

looks like technology improved

Soldato
This thread got me. I’m patiently waiting for the C2 to be ‘last gen’ then I’ll nab it for my overkill Working from Home Screen. Was looking at some of the LG Ergo options but the display tech is dated and the stuff I use for work has issues w/scaling so ideally I’d like a decent sized display running 100% that at least looks like something modern as I can fit everyone on that at once or just alt+tab where necessary (don’t really need multiple displays).

If you’re not trying to be as thrifty as possible https://sitstanddesktops.co.uk/ will do pretty much any size w/a variety of woods, and as a bonus you can just tell them what legs/system you’re using and they’ll put all the holes in the right places.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
Associate
I bit the bullet and ordered mine today and comes on Tuesday. The stand unfortunately won’t be here till the 30th. But will just use it on my desk and play some games that use my controller till it arrives.

I am quite excited to properly try an OLED. I think I might the right decision in picking the C2 over the Neo G7.

Associate
Has anyone had any luck playing around with Cleartype or making fonts look less weird?

I followed the TFTCentral guide a couple of times now, and as soon as I've got the input type configured as PC the fonts just look awful no matter what I do. I've given up and set it back to normal HDMI for now rather than as a PC input, but I feel like it should be possible.

Associate
The alternative is like I said earlier, mdf boards, 4x2 wooden bars or just pull it away from the wall and have the gap.
If you are up for a bit of DIY... what I did was buy someone's old dining room table, chopped it to the dimensions I wanted with a circular saw, sanded it down and then stained covered with an acetate varnish. Screwed the whole thing onto of a used sit/stand desk system and now I've got a 1inch thick solid oak sit stand desk that matches the furniture in the room :)

Cost about £400 all in but you'd be paying a fortune for that type of solution from a retailer, like 2k or more

Reactions: R3X
Man of Honour
Has anyone had any luck playing around with Cleartype or making fonts look less weird?

I followed the TFTCentral guide a couple of times now, and as soon as I've got the input type configured as PC the fonts just look awful no matter what I do. I've given up and set it back to normal HDMI for now rather than as a PC input, but I feel like it should be possible.
That is weird, although I noticed similar with the pc input tbh. It’s optimal in terms of supporting 444 chroma properly as HDMI mode will restrict you to 422. But the text is then impacted by the unexpected WRGB pixel structure, which can sometimes look a bit off as you’re experiencing. The HDMI input mode masks some of that a bit as it “softens” the text because of the chroma drop. If you find it looks better and don’t see any other issues with colour quality in other areas then there’s no harm leaving it in that mode instead :)

Caporegime
Cost about £400 all in but you'd be paying a fortune for that type of solution from a retailer, like 2k or more
I'm thinking one of these atm in Dark Oak and 200x60cm (link courtesy of @khemist )

Think I'm going to go for it, and free shipping which is a bonus!

Associate
That is weird, although I noticed similar with the pc input tbh. It’s optimal in terms of supporting 444 chroma properly as HDMI mode will restrict you to 422. But the text is then impacted by the unexpected WRGB pixel structure, which can sometimes look a bit off as you’re experiencing. The HDMI input mode masks some of that a bit as it “softens” the text because of the chroma drop. If you find it looks better and don’t see any other issues with colour quality in other areas then there’s no harm leaving it in that mode instead :)

Yeah I think I'm just going to accept running in HDMI mode. I took some photos close up and realised what I'm seeing is an orange glow on some letters, particularly prominent on straight lines e.g. L and larger font sizes. It's news headlines that look particularly bad. Up close it doesn't look so bad, or further back for that matter, but at my current range (approx 26") it just looks like there are extra lines next to the letters.

I've been using TN for the last few years, so I'm not really in any position to start complaining about colour quality anyhow.

Man of Honour
Yeah I think I'm just going to accept running in HDMI mode. I took some photos close up and realised what I'm seeing is an orange glow on some letters, particularly prominent on straight lines e.g. L and larger font sizes. It's news headlines that look particularly bad. Up close it doesn't look so bad, or further back for that matter, but at my current range (approx 26") it just looks like there are extra lines next to the letters.

I've been using TN for the last few years, so I'm not really in any position to start complaining about colour quality anyhow.
Yeah perfectly fine to stick to non pc mode in those situations. Hopefully you found the other settings in the guide helped? :)

Back
Top Bottom