LG 42-inch OLED

R3X

R3X

Soldato
LG keep on improving the C2/G2 series, new firmware which fixes the ASBL issues on movies, TV series and more is available.

Short answer, C2/G2 owners have been complaining when they watch TV series like house of dragons, game of thrones, haunted house, silo, Latest Dune film or Sports the TV auto dims making it almost pitch black, so now it uses the 2023 C3/G3 advanced Algorithm software but on the C2/G2 series to fix the issue.

Link to new firmware is here (Usb version) here the exact readme info is here

I got the update popup today for the new 03.33.65 firmware so updated it, still have TPC/GSR in the service menu but there is no longer a need for casual
users to use service menu remote tricks since LG fixed it via the firmware.

Further info here

and

here

Last edited:
Caporegime
LG keep on improving the C2/G2 series, new firmware which fixes the ABSL issues on movies, TV series and more is available.
Good to know thanks, I might be in the market for a 65in OLED later this year if the itch finally gets me...

(trouble is my 55in B7 is just too good!!)

Man of Honour
LG keep on improving the C2/G2 series, new firmware which fixes the ASBL issues on movies, TV series and more is available.

Short answer, C2/G2 owners have been complaining when they watch TV series like house of dragons, game of thrones, haunted house, silo, Latest Dune film or Sports the TV auto dims making it almost pitch black, so now it uses the 2023 C3/G3 advanced Algorithm software but on the C2/G2 series to fix the issue.

I got the update popup today for the new 03.33.65 firmware so updated it, still have TPC/GSR in the service menu but there is no longer a need for casual

Further info here

and

here
Def useful for occasions where ASBL kicks in during dynamic content but it’s still an issue for those wanting to use it for static / pc usage which requires a service menu to disable it really. Good LG are addressing problems though for sure :)

Reactions: R3X
Associate
Glad they keep improving

Further info here

and

here
Am glad they are continuing to improve it I have a E8 currently and I may get a new TV in the next year so glad to see the continued support

Associate
Just discovered some burn-in on white and light grey in the form of shadowy bands on my C2, which aren't visible in normal images really, but solid white and grey. TV bought in April 2022.
20230821-135318.webp

Last edited:
Associate
Checked mine, got it novemberish 2022 I think. Used about 8 hours a day and I'm not seeing anything like this. I use max brightness too.
Unlucky me, I suppose. The defect is quite subtle so may have developed months ago, I'm not sure. My brightness is set to 73 at the moment, but was slightly less for the first few months.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unlucky me, I suppose. The defect is quite subtle so may have developed months ago, I'm not sure. My brightness is set to 73 at the moment, but was slightly less for the first few months.
Have you tried the pixel cleaning feature to see if it helps? I'm wondering what you had in those areas on the screen to cause that...

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried the pixel cleaning feature to see if it helps? I'm wondering what you had in those areas on the screen to cause that...
Looks like a text list, can see individual rows. My OLED phone has the keyboard burned in a bit, and much deeper burn-in around key areas like Discord channel titles, logos, and icons along the left of the screen.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

1st have heard of any 2020+ set getting burn in, where did you get it from?

If its currys, just tell them some weird lines showing on screen and they should hopefully just replace the screen. Costco usually decent about it also too.

Its the other companies like Richer and JL that are problematic imo. Only other long shot work around is still try with retailer or LG its a long shot though another option might be LGs oled panel swap service but I heard LG stopped it due to lack of stock, it comes time to time usually £250-300 to swap the entire panel.

73 is very high OLED brightness, is that for HDR gaming?

Associate
When I bought my C2 from JL I got the extra insurance which covers burn-in for five years. If you got yours from JL and have the extra insurance it should be easy to replace.

Associate
1st have heard of any 2020+ set getting burn in, where did you get it from?

If its currys, just tell them some weird lines showing on screen and they should hopefully just replace the screen. Costco usually decent about it also too.

Its the other companies like Richer and JL that are problematic imo. Only other long shot work around is still try with retailer or LG its a long shot though another option might be LGs oled panel swap service but I heard LG stopped it due to lack of stock, it comes time to time usually £250-300 to swap the entire panel.

73 is very high OLED brightness, is that for HDR gaming?
Nah, 73 for SDR, but it was 60 something for the first several months. HDR generally in the high 80s.

Richer sounds.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Nah, 73 for SDR, but it was 60 something for the first several months. HDR generally in the high 80s.

Richer sounds.

Richer sounds are a nightmare sadly with burn in issues, its always worth a go but most I have read from existing rs customers they just tell you get the OLED panel swap service and pay for it yourself directly from LG warranty helpline and that is if they have the service running which is rare... the customers that complain more and further sometimes RS will pay for the entire charge or half of it.

If you do send it for repairs or off for any reason, re-activate GSR/TPC.

I think 73, 60s is pretty high for SDR that may have pushed the panel further its generally recommended to keep the OLED panel brightness to something more suitable with the right room brightness as explained and shown here, some owners use isf bright for morning or bright lit room watching and isf dark with OLED light 35 in evenings. I prefer just to keep OLED brightness right down around 37 and use Flux windows app to control overall brightness, anything more is eye piercing bright to my eyes at least.

Not that you should have to reduce or alter settings, defaults should work at least with the built in protection switched on.

Still see how it is in a few weeks time, you might find after a few normal automated pixel refreshes it hopefully improves.

Associate
Hello guys I have a 4090 what settings do you recommend I use in the nvidia control panel?
I set maxframe to 117 any other option you suggest like low latency mode and vsync?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an AMD card(S), but also have a C2 42" and C2 48" in differnet rooms with differnt PCs connected to them, as second monitors...
one is an i5 6600k with an RX 480, the better one is an i5 13600k with a 6800XT.

I'd say it depends.. on some games Vsync seems to be good, in other games not. I run my games at 1440p, I only run 4k for movies, as it's easier on the hardware and the electric bill.

You really just have to experiment and see what works for you on a per game settings, per TV settings basis.

For example, I generally think Vsync is rubbish, but strangley the harry potter game seems to run a lot smoother with vsync.

I don't do image upscaling though, as I find it jsut makes the image crap and blurry, I just run 1440 (on a 4k screen) for gaming, and if I have to turn down the settings from ultra to high/medium, its a better overall experience. IMO

Back
Top Bottom