LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
Looking forward to picking up the 42" OLED. Had my CX48 since June 2020, best monitor I've used since the NEC 20wmgx2 days (for it's time), though I feel 42" on a 80/90cm desk, will be absolutely perfect for FPS as well as other types of games.

Any smaller than 42", and the benefit of 4K tends to be lost (IMO, having tried a 27" 4K and 32" 4K). Any larger and some slight head movement is required.

Plan to use my CX48 in another room (for a couch gaming/VR setup PC), as the current TV i'm using there just looks pathetic compared to an OLED.

Associate
Looking forward to picking up the 42" OLED. Had my CX48 since June 2020, best monitor I've used since the NEC 20wmgx2 days (for it's time), though I feel 42" on a 80/90cm desk, will be absolutely perfect for FPS as well as other types of games.

Any smaller than 42", and the benefit of 4K tends to be lost (IMO, having tried a 27" 4K and 32" 4K). Any larger and some slight head movement is required.

Plan to use my CX48 in another room (for a couch gaming/VR setup PC), as the current TV i'm using there just looks pathetic compared to an OLED.

NEC 20wmgx2 those were the days .....

Soldato
Im thinking of picking up a second hand CX (unless the C1 really drops in the upcoming sales).
Is there much difference in the CX and C1 for PC monitor use?

Associate
Im thinking of picking up a second hand CX (unless the C1 really drops in the upcoming sales).

The C1 & CX is the same panel, but the C1 is A9 gen 4 Webos 6 with Game Optimiser the CX is A9 Gen 3 webos 5 without Game Optimiser as for PC use both the same with 1ms, 120hz,

Associate

No practicle difference for use as a monitor, I'd get whatever is cheapest. I bought a C1 as a TV, tried it on the PC and didn't want to take it off again. Found a good deal on a CX so bought that to use as a TV.

Out of a sample size of one of each, the CX is slightly brighter, sounds much better and has a remote with play and pause buttons. It also has a fake HDR mode that I quite like for some SDR movies. The C1 has better laid out menus. As a TV I like the CX. For a monitor either works well for me. I'm using an old surround speaker set up for the PC.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Just wanted to double check something with Nvidia 30xx owners and CX, you can set 120hertz, 10bit, RBG under the nvidia control panel ?

Associate
I've been using a 55CX for 2 months now and loving it. I sit in an armchair at approx 5 feet away, display is used for a mix of desktop work, gaming and movies (physical media, no streaming). Not worried about burn in as I've upgraded from a 2011 panasonic plasma (1080p60 8bit 4:2:2) of equal size and they were worse for burn-in but by learning good habits and many UI tweaks I avoided permanent burn in so an OLED should be no trouble especially with the ASBL function. GPU is a 3080Ti. Before various plasma TVs I was still using CRT monitors (1600x1200 at 75Hz) as I've never liked LCD or LED.

For desktop work (i.e. web browsing, MSoffice work, video conferencing etc) the output is 3840x2160 120hz 10bit 4:4:4 RGB Dynamic Range=Full, windows HDR=off, windows DPI scaling at 200%. No crushed blacks or whites, colours look great. The upgrade to 4:4:4 capability (plasma could only do 4:2:2) is very nice indeed.

For gaming I don't bother with the VRR, instead I adjust the game settings to get constant 120fps. In older games 3840x2160 120hz works fine at highest/ultra settings. In games from the last couple years I either have to compromise on graphics settings or resolution, and I prefer to decrease the resolution to 2560x1440 120Hz* or use DLSS if available and keep most of the settings on highest/ultra and maintain solid 120fps. Looks fantastic. Playing RDR2 right now and it's really spectacular, even in SDR.

*Even though the CX supports it, some games won't let me select 2560x1440 120Hz, but they will allow 2560x1440 at 119Hz, looks the same but just odd.

Majority of my movies are HD Blurays or DVDs, no UHD or HDR yet. MPC-HC + MadVR does a great job of upscaling to 4K but it does push the GPU somewhat and get the fans going.

Can strongly recommend LG CX/C1 OLEDs to anyone considering it for a gaming monitor, if you can manage the size.

Associate
Currently a good deal on the 48 C1 at Costco - after auto deduction at checkout it’s £899.89 delivered.

Bought my CX from Costco. Had to be an online member but I paid the 15 quid for the sub at the same time as I ordered the TV. Took a couple of weeks to come and I didn't get to choose the delivery time but it was the cheapest deal I'd seen.

Associate
What do you reckon minimum desk width would be for 42inch version of this wall mounted? I'm hoping 60cm..... going to blow my GPU money on it next year in hope my R9 390 will be able to do 4k in some old games....

P.s how does it run 1440p? Not too blurry?

Thanks

Soldato
What do you reckon minimum desk width would be for 42inch version of this wall mounted? I'm hoping 60cm..... going to blow my GPU money on it next year in hope my R9 390 will be able to do 4k in some old games....

P.s how does it run 1440p? Not too blurry?

Thanks

I have the 48" and desk depth is 60cm. I wouldn't want to be sat any further away. My sons desk is 80cm but I think that's a bit too much, although I'm looking at new desks at the minute as I might be buying another two for triple screen, and think I'll still go for 60cm if I can make everything fit.

Associate
I have the 48" and desk depth is 60cm. I wouldn't want to be sat any further away. My sons desk is 80cm but I think that's a bit too much, although I'm looking at new desks at the minute as I might be buying another two for triple screen, and think I'll still go for 60cm if I can make everything fit.

Cool thanks for info, have you tried 1440p gaming on it?

Associate

1440 is softer looking than 4k but it isn't terrible if you need the frames and don't have your face pressed up against it.
The CX speakers are fine for a TV, the C1 sounds flat and lifeless in comparison. Still using my PC speakers with the C1.
For desks I've got an 80cm desk with the C1 on the original stand. Be about the same as wall mounted and 60cm.

Associate
1440 is softer looking than 4k but it isn't terrible if you need the frames and don't have your face pressed up against it.
The CX speakers are fine for a TV, the C1 sounds flat and lifeless in comparison. Still using my PC speakers with the C1.
For desks I've got an 80cm desk with the C1 on the original stand. Be about the same as wall mounted and 60cm.

Great thanks for info!

Soldato

Just played a bit of fifa with my nose right up against the screen to really see the difference. It's not as big a difference as I thought. 1440p is only a tiny bit smoother than 2160p. If you are sat back in your chair, unless you have both TVs next to each other, I'd be surprised if you could tell to be honest.

Yes, 1440p is smoother, but only a little bit.

My personal preference is 21:9 ratio (3840x1620) as you keep the clarity of 4k, get extra visuals at the sides with the trade of being black bars top and bottom.

3840x1620

4lWxeuf.jpg

iDMgYXV.jpg

1440p

xnkHTxj.jpg

7nUkPaC.jpg

1440p

WDOkIWe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom