LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
Oh hell yeah, b***! Almost January for LG to announce their new cool crap and then perhaps, robbing a bank just for the 42" in April?

Anyway, probably an odd question, since I really like it how the 3480x1620 looks, what are the resolutions to make it 2560x....? Like 2560x1296?
I once saw a very nice aspect ration from a game pic, can't remember where but it was not really ultrawide like 2560x1080. I like the mild 'ultrawides'

And oh yes, seeing how messed up the GPU prices are, I'm not planning to upgrade my 1080Ti for a couple of years. So the 2560x... are the sweet spots for this "ancient" GPU.

-edit-
I found this aspect ratio! It's this one:
https://vimeo.com/642132829

Which aspect ratio is that called?

Associate
Just played a bit of fifa with my nose right up against the screen to really see the difference. It's not as big a difference as I thought. 1440p is only a tiny bit smoother than 2160p. If you are sat back in your chair, unless you have both TVs next to each other, I'd be surprised if you could tell to be honest.

Yes, 1440p is smoother, but only a little bit.

I tend to play open world games and racing games where draw distance is a factor sat back with a pad. New pc on the desk at 4k, 3-4 foot distance and old pc on the couch at 5-6 foot 1440p both work well.

Associate
Wow thanks for all the details!! Well now I just need the 42inch to be released!!

Hmmm thought I was set and then I watched the Linus YouTube video on burn in.....not sure how much of any issue to it is? Assuming I will be ok with just 3-4 hours of gaming and web browsing a day? Any tips? Assuming screensaver and hiding start bar?

I have a oled TV for normal films and TV with no concerns...

Soldato
Hmmm thought I was set and then I watched the Linus YouTube video on burn in.....not sure how much of any issue to it is? Assuming I will be ok with just 3-4 hours of gaming and web browsing a day? Any tips? Assuming screensaver and hiding start bar?

The C1 is very bright for a start. I have turned the OLED screen down to 15 which is still plenty bright enough. I'm also using translucentTB from the MS store which makes the taskbar translucent (looks really good).

Mines on the desktop hours a day for work, and I also use it for gaming. Not seen the slightest hint of either burn or retention.

I guess if you run the thing at 100% HDR and leave something on the screen overnight things might be different.

It's one of the best things I've bought in a long time.

Associate
The C1 is very bright for a start. I have turned the OLED screen down to 15 which is still plenty bright enough. I'm also using translucentTB from the MS store which makes the taskbar translucent (looks really good).

Mines on the desktop hours a day for work, and I also use it for gaming. Not seen the slightest hint of either burn or retention.

I guess if you run the thing at 100% HDR and leave something on the screen overnight things might be different.

It's one of the best things I've bought in a long time.

Cool ok good point, my oled TV is only on 60 brightness and that's an old one so I'm sure new one as monitor could be loads lower...

Soldato

He's just a prat, ignore him. I haven't seen a single other report of OLED burnin on 2020 or 2021 models. Sure they're only 2 years old at this stage but still, you'd think more would be failing than just his.

FTR I must have 3000 hours on my CX now and never modify any display or Windows settings. Stock desktop, no screen saver. I just don't have the brightness up all that high.

Associate
He's just a prat, ignore him. I haven't seen a single other report of OLED burnin on 2020 or 2021 models. Sure they're only 2 years old at this stage but still, you'd think more would be failing than just his.

FTR I must have 3000 hours on my CX now and never modify any display or Windows settings. Stock desktop, no screen saver. I just don't have the brightness up all that high.

Cool, yeah thinking it will be more then fine for my usage...

Soldato

I don't think he's being a prat on this one; it IS an issue with OLEDs, like it was for Plasmas; although it is overblown for many people, especially the sort of people who change TVs every 2-4 years. There are reports from other users on places like AVForums of issues developing on 2018 onward OLEDs; also RTINGs OLED burn in testing did begin to get it seriously; and Linus also featured Wendell from Level1Techs in his video, who uses his every day, and has started to get some issues; so it wasn't just hear say or a manufactured issue.

The thing is, for normal (mixed) usage, it'll probably be fine for a number of years; BUT if you're a heavy user or do long runs it will begin to become an issue all the more sooner; its just how much you notice and how soon; there is genuinely a limited lifespan on these panels. You CAN get it on LCD, I have it on one that is around 7 years old; but they are less susceptible.

Last edited:
Soldato
The thing is, for normal (mixed) usage, it'll probably be fine for a number of years; BUT if you're a heavy user or do long runs it will begin to become an issue all the more sooner; its just how much you notice and how soon; there is genuinely a limited lifespan on these panels. You CAN get it on LCD, I have it on one that is around 7 years old; but they are less susceptible.
Yeah I do agree there - I think probably all OLEDs will have a lifespan of significant degradation over time. Whereas more or less all LCD TVs and monitors I've used basically performed the same until something else caused their demise. I do think that the useful lifetime is long enough to justify the picture quality though. Then I'm a very mixed user, it is primarily a TV for me, which does a lot of PC gaming and is my personal PC (so sees a lot less use than my work screen).

Associate
My main usage for an OLED tv/monitor will be only for gaming and netflix. For longer browsing sessions or when me and my sisters and brother has to use Word, I already got a small portable monitor for that. I think I'll be fine having an OLED tv. I although have found an interesting LCD monitor, namely the BenQ Mobiuz EX2710R but I want to hold off till the 42" OLED are actually released.

Soldato
Got a message when I turned on CX today saying it wants to start screen restoration to improve picture and will take about 5 minutes. Not seen that one before...

Seems to be referring to the 5 min pixel refresher but I thought it would be doing that automatically during standby.

Soldato
Got a message when I turned on CX today saying it wants to start screen restoration to improve picture and will take about 5 minutes. Not seen that one before...

Seems to be referring to the 5 min pixel refresher but I thought it would be doing that automatically during standby.

Every couple thousand hours it does an "extended" pixel refresher, this is in addition to the "mini" one that happens almost every time it's put into standby. Nothing to worry about :)

Associate
The only time I have seen the message on mine is when I turn the TV off at the plug. Ever since leaving it on standby I have never seen the message again. Every 2000 hrs you'll get the prompt for the big refresh that takes about an hour.

Associate
The only time I have seen the message on mine is when I turn the TV off at the plug. Ever since leaving it on standby I have never seen the message again. Every 2000 hrs you'll get the prompt for the big refresh that takes about an hour.
Every time you turn it off at plug it can't do the pixel refresh so it resets , if you leave it at standby when you go sleep it will refresh the tv itself at night automatic:)

Last edited:
Associate
I wonder who will be first to show off a Philips 48OLED806, seems to getting good reviews and has ambilight to go with all those RGB gaming rigs.....

I have an old Philips oled as my main TV and love ambilight...

Back
Top Bottom