LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
Interesting.... might be desk-worthy. Picked up the B9 55 on black friday because it was under 1K and have not regretted that at all. The only problem with this for desk use, IMHO, is going to be burn-in. I use my machine for software development work, so long periods of comparatively static screen elements.
I was thinking about this too, and now reckon I'll use the OLED exclusively for games and video. For all other tasks, i.e. internet, productivity etc, I'll use my existing 27" monitor on an arm so that I can swing it out of the way while gaming. Won't be the cleanest looking of set-ups, but it would be functional.

Associate
I was thinking about this too, and now reckon I'll use the OLED exclusively for games and video. For all other tasks, i.e. internet, productivity etc, I'll use my existing 27" monitor on an arm so that I can swing it out of the way while gaming. Won't be the cleanest looking of set-ups, but it would be functional.

Exactly what I will do, as then I dont have to be afraid of that burn in, even tho it seems way overblown and very rarely happen. And I dont like to browse/work/write - whatever on such a big screen. My PG279Q is perfect for that. But man, pure gaming and movies on the OLED will be freaking insane. Cant wait to get one :D

Soldato
Cannot wait for this. Currently have my pc connected to my 77c8 oled and the difference in picture quality is huge compared to my ultra wide lcd monitor. Even for £1499 compared to high end monitors the price is very good when you think about how good the quality is going to be. The only downside is if you can fit a 48 on your desk.

Soldato
Come Black Friday this year when this thing is closer to £1K (perhaps even less given the 55" hit that last year), it's going to make any high end monitor purchase look like a joke. The only issue for most people is going to be if they can fit 48" on a desk. Outside of that, no brainer really.

Burn-in won't be an issue for general gaming. I'd be reluctant to use this for constant web browsing, MS Word, Photoshop etc. but I'm not sure I see that being a common use case... there are better monitors for that anyway. Gaming and video content is where OLED shines, and in that regard it destroys every LCD on the market, and then some.

The upcoming Acer/Asus 32" 4K Mini-LED monitors are more than twice the price of this... says a lot about the state of LCD really. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Do any of these come with anti burn in warranty or is it the owners risk?

Some retailers may cover it on behalf of LG.

The issue is with burn in, if you fancy your chances at a new panel/new model 4-5 years down the line towards the end of your warranty period, you can just leave a really bright static image on the screen for days on end and then put a claim in. This is likely why LG won't cover it as you would get far too many chancers.

Soldato
I think I'll wait until the new consoles are out before purchasing, just in case something doesn't play nicely. I've not trawled the specs properly but I'm assuming it's Freesync compatible as well as G-Sync. Hoping there's no Nvidia exclusive tie-in on the VRR front.

I've hung on to my 40" Panasonic for 5 years hoping they'd be an OLED around that size, sadly 48" seems as small as it'll go, it should just fit in the recess next to the chimney breast, if I stick it on some sort of arm it might make it look a little smaller overall.

First new toy I've been excited about in a while though!

Associate
I think the issue at present is that AMD freesync-over-hdmi is not yet a thing. I *think* HDMI VRR is an open standard, and AMD have announced that all cards supporting Freesync over Displayport will at some point be able to support Freeync/VRR over HDMI, but we're not there yet.

So for now nvidia get to say they have the only solution, and call it G-Sync.

Soldato
I think I'll wait until the new consoles are out before purchasing, just in case something doesn't play nicely. I've not trawled the specs properly but I'm assuming it's Freesync compatible as well as G-Sync. Hoping there's no Nvidia exclusive tie-in on the VRR front.

I've hung on to my 40" Panasonic for 5 years hoping they'd be an OLED around that size, sadly 48" seems as small as it'll go, it should just fit in the recess next to the chimney breast, if I stick it on some sort of arm it might make it look a little smaller overall.

Careful! I got chewed a new one for posting without having researched the specs!

This panel is G-sync compatible Freesync so will be good for AMD & Nvidia GPU's which is good. To use 4k 120hz though you'll need the next gen gfx cards with HDMI 2.1 as no display port. But if you happy with lower resolutions for gaming then you can use it with your current gfx card on purchase.

Soldato
Careful! I got chewed a new one for posting without having researched the specs!

This panel is G-sync compatible Freesync so will be good for AMD & Nvidia GPU's which is good. To use 4k 120hz though you'll need the next gen gfx cards with HDMI 2.1 as no display port. But if you happy with lower resolutions for gaming then you can use it with your current gfx card on purchase.

Aye you sure it's Freesync? The Nvidia vrr was added via firmware and driver updates, don't recall amd being mentioned in the fw release notes.

*G-SYNC included only in ZX, GX, CX and BX models. FreeSync included in ZX model; software update required for GX, CX and BX models. FreeSync may not be available at the time of purchase of this product.

Only the ZX model for AMD PC.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled65cxpua-oled-4k-tv#none

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye you sure it's Freesync? The Nvidia vrr was added via firmware and driver updates, don't recall amd being mentioned in the fw release notes.

Specs for the monitor I was meant to read before posting. Wasn't it you that had a go about me assuming that it was G-sync only from the review in the OP when I started the sentence with 'maybe'?

The TV this thread is referring to is this one

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-oled48cx6lb

Freesync = yes

Like I was told - you should read the specs before posting

Associate

Only the ZX model for AMD PC.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled65cxpua-oled-4k-tv#none

If you go to the page for (say) the CX 55 incher then it says FreeSync in the specs too - https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled55cxpua-oled-4k-tv
With the disclaimer - "(May not be available at the time of purchase of this product)"

But it says that on the ZX too.

Soldato
Specs for the monitor I was meant to read before posting. Wasn't it you that had a go about me assuming that it was G-sync only from the review in the OP when I started the sentence with 'maybe'?

The TV this thread is referring to is this one

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-oled48cx6lb

Freesync = yes

Like I was told - you should read the specs before posting
Actually it was because you made stuff up saying, 'they gave LG G-sync modules in return forcing people to buy a new Nvidia Gfx card'. which was nonsense.

Mine was based of information from LGs website :rolleyes:

Soldato
Actually it was because you made stuff up saying, 'they gave LG G-sync modules in return forcing people to buy a new Nvidia Gfx card'. which was nonsense.

Mine was based of information from LGs website :rolleyes:

Ha ha ha ha

You missed the 'maybe' off again. I did explain why I though that from the review in the OP.

Well, you coulda looked at the right model off the LG website that this thread is aimed at.:rolleyes:

Anyways, I reckon these'll be popular, one for people affording OLED for smaller bedrooms and gamers using these as monitors though many may wait for the gfx cards with HDMI 2.1 on before purchasing.

Associate
Depending on what happens around the world I’ll get one of these some time down the line. Definitely wouldn’t purchase before Black Friday that’s for sure.

Caporegime

No, they will get smaller in years to come. The issue they are having is making the individual OLED small enough at a viable price. Once they do they will be 40" OLED TVs available. I suspect they wont bother shrinking at low as 32" screen as people wont pay £1500 for a 32" OLED screen no matter how nice it looks.

Associate
No, they will get smaller in years to come. The issue they are having is making the individual OLED small enough at a viable price. Once they do they will be 40" OLED TVs available. I suspect they wont bother shrinking at low as 32" screen as people wont pay £1500 for a 32" OLED screen no matter how nice it looks.

32 is firmly into monitor sizes and unfortunately, a lot of monitor use involves a lot of static elements so OLED isn't (yet) good for them AFAICT.

Soldato
I reckon the manufacturers are missing a trick here. I know they obviously research their market, however, loads of people love TV/gaming but don't have the space (or want) a massive TV in their house. Living in London, in a period property, I literally don't know a single person who has the space for anything bigger than a 40/43" TV (without it taking over and becoming the "TV room"), a fully specced up OLED at that size would fly off the shelves imo, good old quality over quantity. Personally I'd pay £1500 for a quality 40".

Soldato
Smaller oleds are just to expensive for them to make at the moment. A 48 inch model is a good step though for those who want a large gaming monitor with the best picture quality.

Back
Top Bottom