LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
While I’m sure Branson isn’t short of cash in the bank. Most of his net worth is calculated on the value of the companies he owns (eg. shares) not how much he has in the bank. Many of those companies have had a significant amount of their value wiped out over night. The airline industry in particular is cut throat.

Edit, should say I’m not trying to defend the 1% and no doubt he has done well for himself but it’s really not that simple as you make out.

Associate
I’m thinking of buying this set when it finally arrives to replace my beloved Pioneer Kuro.

At the moment to have 5.1 sound, I have everything plugged into my Marantz NR1603 receiver which only supports HDMI 1.2... so does this mean for me to take full advantage of this TV I would need to upgrade my Marantz too?

MONEY! MONEY!! MONEY!!!

Associate
OP
Just Connect the TV directly from the video card, don’t put the receiver in-between. Always a bad idea for that and gaming...

Use alternative means to get the sound from the PC to the receiver.

Associate
I had a similar challenge with my current LG OLED, xbox and yamaha soundbar setup.

Xbox is connected directly to the LG tv via hdmi (had 4K passthrough issues when connected via the soundbar).
Connected the TV back to the soundbar with an optical cable and configured LG sound settings to output over Optical/HDMI ARC.

Associate
I had a similar challenge with my current LG OLED, xbox and yamaha soundbar setup.

Xbox is connected directly to the LG tv via hdmi (had 4K passthrough issues when connected via the soundbar).
Connected the TV back to the soundbar with an optical cable and configured LG sound settings to output over Optical/HDMI ARC.

That is good but obviously you are limited to the surround sound format so won't be able to get HD or high bit audio such as Atmos etc. Depending on your soundbar most likely not an issue. However when the new consoles come out I would probably myself get a new soundbar one with multiple HDMI 2.1 inputs or a new receiver that's compatible.

I did read the new consoles are meant to have new audio tech in them.

Caporegime
So, I assume some of you have read about LG restricting the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth, but for those of you that haven't... https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...k-oled-and-lcd-tvs-dont-support-full-hdmi-21/

This means it can output maximum 4:2:2:2 at 10-bit. Apparently this could be limit Nvidia's support for specific 4:4:4 10-bit modes (please feel free to correct me guys).

I don't fully understand the impact, but I do get a sense that as gamers we probably won't be able to tell the difference anyway and that the outrage is mainly at the principle of LG gimping the port without telling people.

Soldato
So, I assume some of you have read about LG restricting the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth, but for those of you that haven't... https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...k-oled-and-lcd-tvs-dont-support-full-hdmi-21/

This means it can output maximum 4:2:2:2 at 10-bit. Apparently this could be limit Nvidia's support for specific 4:4:4 10-bit modes (please feel free to correct me guys).

I don't fully understand the impact, but I do get a sense that as gamers we probably won't be able to tell the difference anyway and that the outrage is mainly at the principle of LG gimping the port without telling people.
'This means it can output maximum 4:2:2:2 at 10-bit', eh :confused:

10bit panel 4:4:4@10bit 4K 120Hz = 40Gbps, so it is fine. 48Gbps is only needed for 12bit colour which the panels dont support.

Soldato
Not got time to watch the videos but I dont even get 60fps with my two 2080ti in SLI on witcher 3 at 4k - not at the graphics quality settings I want to run at anyway.........

What graphics settings are that? Besides blowing up shadow map size to >4096 or adding SSGI I can't think of what would tank performance like that in Witcher 3.

Associate
OP

10bit panel 4:4:4@10bit 4K 120Hz = 40Gbps, so it is fine. 48Gbps is only needed for 12bit colour which the panels dont support.

Correct; setting 12 bit color on virtually all displays, just like the 48CX, is meaningless. I love all the outrage from clueless people. There are NO 12-bit panels in the consumer market, nor 12-bit source end-to-end workflows.

Last edited:
Caporegime

From what I read, Nvidia don't seem to support 4:4:4 10 bit over Hdmi on the 2x00 series... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...ad-faq-posts-1-6-no-price-talk-105.html?amp=1 and https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...ad-faq-posts-1-6-no-price-talk-106.html?amp=1

The goal is 4k120 RGB/YCbCr 444 (full chroma) 10-bit because that is the maximum the CX will accept at 40Gbps. However, nVidia does not support full chroma at 10-bit over HDMI on GeForce cards currently (only Quadro). AMD does, but the likelihood of AMD releasing a card capable of rendering games at 4k120 is highly unlikely.
Assuming nVidia does not add full chroma 10-bit support on their next gen GPUs, then you would have to use a C9, which will accept 4k120 RGB/YCbCr 444 at 12-bit and display at 10-bit, to achieve that goal. However, the CX is the preferred model because it will have a 48 inch model. A C9 55 inch is too large to utilize on a desk comfortably.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did you read the previous post?

Like you say, it's probably to segment from the professional group of cards. Doubt gamers would tell the difference between 8bit though BUT 10bit essential to decent HDR? If so I hope they change their stance, over HDMI at least (even if it's a silent update).

Caporegime
Like you say, it's probably to segment from the professional group of cards. Doubt gamers would tell the difference between 8bit though BUT 10bit essential to decent HDR? If so I hope they change their stance, over HDMI at least (even if it's a silent update).
Yeah, i think there may be enough of an "enthusiast outcry" for them to do so, lets see. I can see the LG 48 CX becoming a really popular 4k TV/monitor for many PC gamers.

Caporegime
Yeah, i think there may be enough of an "enthusiast outcry" for them to do so, lets see. I can see the LG 48 CX becoming a really popular 4k TV/monitor for many PC gamers.

Yup, and in becoming popular I can't see the price dipping too much (the 55" may end up being cheaper at some point!).

Associate
rtings review is out

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

"The CX has a near-perfect response time, but unfortunately, motion still looks blurry. With the refresh rate at 120Hz, motion blur is noticeable in most content"

"This TV has a black frame insertion (BFI) feature to improve the appearance of motion. To turn it on, set TruMotion to 'User' and OLED Motion on 'High'. The 'Low' and 'Medium' settings offer less aggressive BFI, resulting in a brighter screen. When the TV is set to 120Hz, the BFI isn't timed well and causes duplication in motion"

Quite sad to read! I was hoping for better motion handling. Lets hope they fix it with an update.

Back
Top Bottom