LG OLED 2022 Thread - A2, B2, C2, G2

Associate
I'm torn on what to do guys. I'm in the market for an LG C2 - either a 77" or an 83". The viewing distance is about 13FT. I am debating whether the extra £1700 premium is worth the 6" increase in size. I hear opinions that always go as big as possible for more immersive viewing, but admittedly viewing distance may be that little close and my eyes are having to track around the 83" screen?

I'm upgrading from a 65" LG C8. Primary use is 1080p/4K movies and TV with a negligible amount of gaming.

Any opinions on the matter? If I go 77" and realise I could have easily got the 83", I'd be disappointed. Likewise if I go 83" and its painful to watch, I'd regret that too.

Soldato
I'm torn on what to do guys. I'm in the market for an LG C2 - either a 77" or an 83". The viewing distance is about 13FT. I am debating whether the extra £1700 premium is worth the 6" increase in size. I hear opinions that always go as big as possible for more immersive viewing, but admittedly viewing distance may be that little close and my eyes are having to track around the 83" screen?

I'm upgrading from a 65" LG C8. Primary use is 1080p/4K movies and TV with a negligible amount of gaming.

Any opinions on the matter? If I go 77" and realise I could have easily got the 83", I'd be disappointed. Likewise if I go 83" and its painful to watch, I'd regret that too.
Sounds simple but mock up a cardboard sized dummy and see how it actually feels in your space.

Soldato

As you already have a 65, do you feel it's too small? I have a 60 and sit a similar distance and I'm looking at the 77 too, that's why I ask. People think I'm crazy want such a screen size, but it does look small.

Soldato
I sit about 11ft away from 77" and no issues with it moving up from a 65". Important point at that sort of distance, at least for me is the height aspect and ensuring its mounted at a height that does not mean say tilting head back or eyes elevated, rather pretty neutral position for both. I think a 83" being not significantly larger would be okay at 13 ft, but that is for me personally, all down to what works for you in your room IMO.

Associate
I sit about 11ft away from 77" and no issues with it moving up from a 65". Important point at that sort of distance, at least for me is the height aspect and ensuring its mounted at a height that does not mean say tilting head back or eyes elevated, rather pretty neutral position for both. I think a 83" being not significantly larger would be okay at 13 ft, but that is for me personally, all down to what works for you in your room IMO.

Yes I'd always thought we could go larger than 65" to be honest.

Good shout also on height as when we first installed the 65" it was that little too high and later had the bracket dropped to a better eye level.

83" is very tempting and can easily justify the price premium for what usage the TV gets in our household. Just waiting on some new deals to come along. Ideally prefer to buy from Richer Sounds as like their customer service should the worst happen, theyre also good at price matching like for like deals.

Soldato
Yea I reckon 83 above a fireplace would look stupid and give some serious neck issues :cry: . Our tv stand raises the bottom of my current 60 about 60cm off the ground, so a 77 wouldn't be that different, although I assume the oleds are all like my c9 which has the mounts on the back quite low so that would artificially raise the height of the tv, I know a lot of mounts give some adjustment but I don't think you'd make it the same height as a normal lcd.

Soldato
Does anyone have real world experience with the 77" G2?

Thinking of making a change - currently have a Sony XF9005 75" - nothing wrong with it, just considering a change. I'm not in a rush so perhap will wait until the current sets drop in price.

I need to go with the G2 because the TV is in a recessed wall space where the 77 is going to be a tight fit. I'd need a cantilever bracket which would likely risk a C2 or a Sony 80K (the other candidate) sitting proud of the wall.

fez

fez

Caporegime
We have a normal sized living room with 2 alcoves either side of the fireplace that will just fit a 42" TV. I have tried to persuade the missus that we could get a bigger one and just have it stick out a bit but shes having none of it.

Until this year, 42" didn't include OLED but now it does I am contemplating it. My only issue is that the 42" is basically £1100 and I'm not sure if its worth that much for a TV of that size.

We have a budget LG at the moment from a few years ago which is fine but I have a PS5 and I think OLED would really complement it.

Does anyone have one of these in their living room and have any opinion on it? A lot of the views out there seem to be either purely technical or coming from a monitor use case. We just want it as a TV.

Second question is whether a soundbar is a good upgrade to these as well?

Soldato
Does anyone have one of these in their living room and have any opinion on it? A lot of the views out there seem to be either purely technical or coming from a monitor use case. We just want it as a TV.

Yes it's my main living room TV and I do 99% of my gaming there these days (mostly PC).

It's gets pretty equal use for live TV, streaming, gaming, and other content like Twitch and YouTube. I use it at least 6 hours a day to be honest! It's just fantastic and I much prefer doing things through a remote, on a sofa, than using a PC to drive other stuff.

Downsides I could mention are brightness during daytime, but I do have it directly next to a South facing window and I haven't tried turning brightness up. More that my night time settings aren't ideal for daylight!

The sound is plenty enough for me. I'm not a surround sound aficionado yet but it goes loud and boomy enough that I turn down action films at night. Likely you'll want an upgrade for more cinematic experiences or if you have trouble with dialog (I do if I've turned the volume down).

Caporegime
OP
We have a normal sized living room with 2 alcoves either side of the fireplace that will just fit a 42" TV. I have tried to persuade the missus that we could get a bigger one and just have it stick out a bit but shes having none of it.

Until this year, 42" didn't include OLED but now it does I am contemplating it. My only issue is that the 42" is basically £1100 and I'm not sure if its worth that much for a TV of that size.

We have a budget LG at the moment from a few years ago which is fine but I have a PS5 and I think OLED would really complement it.

Fill the alcoves in to create more space?

Just had the same issue and got some builders in to create a media/extended wall of sorts. Space above the fireplace would only fit a small TV, now I've got a 77" G2 on the wall

Soldato
How does the C2 compare to the Samsung QD-OLED?

Plenty of reviews up. C2 is very good in general and will not be disappointed. QD-OLED though is a step forward, competes well and exceeds the G2 in some areas even being first gen, the G2 itself being a step forward vs the C2.

You do miss out on DV however so something to consider, but IMO outside of that QD-OLED is pretty good, more so that Samsung now offer one pretty accurate picture mode with updates. Would have waited until next year myself tbh to get a larger QD-OLED, though possibly from Sony if I did not get exceptional pricing on the 77" G2.

Soldato
Plenty of reviews up. C2 is very good in general and will not be disappointed. QD-OLED though is a step forward, competes well and exceeds the G2 in some areas even being first gen, the G2 itself being a step forward vs the C2.

You do miss out on DV however so something to consider, but IMO outside of that QD-OLED is pretty good, more so that Samsung now offer one pretty accurate picture mode with updates. Would have waited until next year myself tbh to get a larger QD-OLED, though possibly from Sony if I did not get exceptional pricing on the 77" G2.

Thanks mate. The Sony QD-OLED does support DV but it's quite a big pricier than Samsung. Might get a C1 instead if I can get a great deal and just wait it out for a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom