Lila Connect - VX Fibre 1gig - Stoke on Trent

Associate
That's where my wife comes from.
Nearly there

lila2.jpg

Fingers crosses it'll be soon. I contacted Lila and they do offer static IP addresses if you take out a connection directly with them. I'll be doing that once my contract with Breeze is over as they no longer offer connections here.

Man of Honour
Fingers crosses it'll be soon. I contacted Lila and they do offer static IP addresses if you take out a connection directly with them. I'll be doing that once my contract with Breeze is over as they no longer offer connections here.

I'm a bit lost here.
For a long time my virgin IP has been similar to 86.23.104.118 and never changed, are you saying it could constantly change?
All the devices in my house always have the same address, are you saying I would have to continually update stuff like servers and STB boxes?

Actually it's the 192.168.0.** etc that don't change.

Soldato
For a long time my virgin IP has been similar to 86.23.104.118 and never changed, are you saying it could constantly change?

It (the WAN IP) won't constantly change, but it could change fairly often and it's highly likely you'll never notice it. Virgin don't have static IP addresses for home users but the IP addresses don't change all that often.

All the devices in my house always have the same address, are you saying I would have to continually update stuff like servers and STB boxes?

Yep, your internal IP range, so the IP addresses that your devices are using won't change when the WAN IP changes. Though assuming you're using a new router a result of this shiny new connection you may find that the IP range on the new router may be different to the old one. That's unlikely to be a problem unless you have devices on your LAN using a static IP address, a printer for example. That's easy enough to sort though.

Man of Honour
It (the WAN IP) won't constantly change, but it could change fairly often and it's highly likely you'll never notice it. Virgin don't have static IP addresses for home users but the IP addresses don't change all that often.

Thanks

Yep, your internal IP range, so the IP addresses that your devices are using won't change when the WAN IP changes. Though assuming you're using a new router a result of this shiny new connection you may find that the IP range on the new router may be different to the old one. That's unlikely to be a problem unless you have devices on your LAN using a static IP address, a printer for example. That's easy enough to sort though.

Actually a couple of weeks ago I think Lila knocked Virgin off for around 8 hours, when it eventually came back on a couple of my devices on the Internal IP had changed.
Yes I would expect all my internal IPs to change with a new router.

Associate
I'm a bit lost here.

Sorry, should have been clearer on this. If you play any online game, or access smart devices away from your home, you would want a static IP with Lila. The reason being is because they use CGNAT (Carrier-grade NAT). I don't fully understand it but when I first had the connection, I could not access anything on my home network from outside of it (cameras etc). My NAT type when playing on Call of Duty was 'strict' too meaning ping was high and would take a while to fine a game.

Caporegime
Your Ring and Blink cameras create outbound connections to their respective cloud services, so you don't need to worry about them.

Associate
Having my full fibre installed 3 nov.
Iam in trentham area.
Free router.
Free install.
£30 amonth 18 month contract.
A neighbour had it installed , he checked connection speed and it was 989.

Today I spoke to an engineer doing an install from the street. He showed be connection speed 1008 Mbps.
Seriously fast.
Then again you will have over heads from router so slower.

Does anyone know if you can use your own router?
The router they supply is Zyxel ex3301.
My current router is netgear nax50 WiFi 6.

Anyone?

Man of Honour
Iam in trentham area.
Free router.
Free install.

Excellent
I'm going to give Virgin a chance to compete, if not I'll bugger them off.
The thing is in all the years I've been with C&W > NTL > Virgin I've never had a problem so it will be hard to break free.

Associate
Excellent
I'm going to give Virgin a chance to compete, if not I'll bugger them off.
The thing is in all the years I've been with C&W > NTL > Virgin I've never had a problem so it will be hard to break free.

Same position I was in.
I’m with zen internet at moment, never really had any problems , connection speed 34mbps.
£39 month.

But Lila connect 1 gigabit for£29.98 it’s a non brainer. Couldn’t turn offer down.

Associate
Iam in trentham area.
Free router.
Free install.

Today I spoke to an engineer doing an install from the street. He showed be connection speed 1008 Mbps.
Seriously fast.
Then again you will have over heads from router so slower.

Does anyone know if you can use your own router?
The router they supply is Zyxel ex3301.
My current router is netgear nax50 WiFi 6.

Anyone?

You can use your own router as i use my own. Just plug the ethernet cable from the ont box into the wan port. You may need to configure it based on the ISP settings.

This is the speed test they use http://speed-uk1.vx.se/index.html

Associate
wow cool!
i thought i would be locked into there router. nice!

theonenonly1
can i ask what wireless speeds to get?

It'll depend on your router and the device your using. From looking online, your Netgear one has very good specs but I can't say for certain. When I get home, I'll test mine on WiFi from my phone and post the speeds in this thread. For reference, I have the Asus rt86u which is WiFi 5.

Associate
I’m potentially moving into the ST3 area and it seems the only broadband choices are generic Sky/TalkTalk or LILAConnect.

After reading through forum it seems very confusing for someone who doesn’t know too much about it.

For playing games on Xbox/PC and general use, would I be okay with the 1GB option and there anything I should keep in mind when ordering (extra chargers, IP address issues) etc

Associate
I’m potentially moving into the ST3 area and it seems the only broadband choices are generic Sky/TalkTalk or LILAConnect.

After reading through forum it seems very confusing for someone who doesn’t know too much about it.

For playing games on Xbox/PC and general use, would I be okay with the 1GB option and there anything I should keep in mind when ordering (extra chargers, IP address issues) etc

For what I know.
Lila-connect is now an isp,
For 1gig connection £30. Cheaper than the other 3 isps that you can use with Lila.
Not sure if you get a static ip ect...

1 gig on Lila is blistering fast, I i said earlier in a post,
A guy a street away gets well into the 980mbps .

At the moment say if you have a standard 40 meg connection, you can download a movie say on pc at around 5mb a sec
Now with Lila you can dload a file movie ect... at 130 mb a sec

What’s not to like.

Associate

1Gb is amazing to have. I came from 36Mb with PlusNet and now get around 950Mb download through Lila. Downloading games takes almost no time at all. As an example, Warzone on PC is around 80GB. I can download this in 15 minutes with Lila. On PlusNet, that would take around 3 hours, maybe more.

For the cost, it's exactly what you see on the website, £29.99 for the 18 month contract which includes the £9.99 monthly fibre subscription (think of this as the line rental). You may have to pay installation fee of £49 but they sometimes offer that for free.

You will want a static IP address with them to avoid strict NAT type on Xbox and PC.

I live in ST3, are you sure Virgin isn't an option?

It's not for me in ST3 (Weston Coyney). The infrastructure was never built for Virgin.

Yeah I checked on their availability and sadly it’s not available on that property.

Does anybody know if the £600 instal is still applicable, or is it just the 18 month contract and that’s it?

I paid for this back in December but not sure if they still offer it. If they offer this, only pay it if you don't plan to move for the next 5 years. You don't have to pay this and if you don't the £9.99 is added to the bill which as I mentioned above is already included in the prices they show online.

Back
Top Bottom