Lila Connect - VX Fibre 1gig - Stoke on Trent

Associate
Thank you for your help, I think it’s a no brainer, the only thing worrying me is the static IP as I play a lot of games. No doubt I’ll have to pop them a quick call and see if they can offer me the static IP.

Man of Honour
Does anybody know if the £600 instal is still applicable, or is it just the 18 month contract and that’s it?

Go on the Lila site and sign up and they should be in touch when available and hopefully you get it at just £30 a month with no extras.
You can also have GemTV with a 4K recorder for an extra £10 which is a great deal.
I don't need it because I've just updated my Satellite system, I can record 8 channels at the same time (or more) and access from anywhere in the house with a Firestick or similar.

Associate
Thank you for your help, I think it’s a no brainer, the only thing worrying me is the static IP as I play a lot of games. No doubt I’ll have to pop them a quick call and see if they can offer me the static IP.

I contacted Lila about this the other day and was told they do give static IP adresses,

Associate

I jus rang em.

Connection is dynamic, you can change to static at any time £4.99

Associate
From this thread I gather static is needed for gaming, have sent and email to lilaconnect to check on pro endure.

If this is the case information static IP isn't greatly published on any ISP provider. I've only stubbled upon this thread from research.

What's the future for these ISP selling a service and users suddenly finding they need to pay extra for addon service.

I'm happy to pay the extra as service so much cheaper then Virgin, just looking into alternative to set top box now.

Maybe they should just sell a gamer bundle straight off and avoid potential upset.

Sorry if started to ramble, just seems odd using cgnat which isn't really up to the job

Associate
Main reson for companies using CGNAT is due to the amount of IPv4 addresses available. The majority of people wont be affected by CGNAT so it's easier. There will be a handful that require static IP address for gaming and being able to access your own network from anywhere else.

Static IP isn't necesarrly required for gaming but it will help with gaming. With CGNAT, you can connect to others but they cannot connect to you.

Soldato
It's not so much that you need a static IP, it's that you need a public IP. Most ISP's that implement CG-NAT choose to offer them both as a package, so you often can't get a dynamic public IP address from an ISP that implements CG-NAT.

CG-NAT isn't a problem for the vast majority of people so saying that CG-NAT "isn't really up to the job" isn't true. It all depends on your use case, ie, what the "job" is. And for most people CG-NAT will be fine for that job.

I do agree that ISP's should be more clear about this sort of thing but then again, it won't mean anything to most people that are signing up for an internet connection.

Caporegime
The answer to IPv4 exhaustion is for services to support IPv6. All new ISPs will deploy CGNAT because there are no blocks left to assign, so they're having to buy them at auction.

Hyperoptic as standard gives you CGNAT IPv4 and an IPv6 allocation - really the pressure needs to be applied to online services to fully support IPv6, and for other ISPs to support it so you can connect without needing a public IPv4 address.

Soldato
ISP's should be better at reusing IP blocks that are no longer in use. For example, I have 2 /24's, a /25 and several /27's that still list me as the netblock owner when I check the WHOIS. They come from the days when the company ran it's own networks and data centres. All of those services have long since been terminated but the IP address space hasn't been reassigned and is sitting unused.

If that's happening to IP ranges that are assigned to me, it's happening to other people too.

But yes, IPv6 is the answer.

Associate
Am I correct in thinking that a static IP is only really needed for P2P type games?

Also just noticed that Lila only install ground level, that's no good for me since my router, pc and consoles are in the back bedroom.

Associate
Am I correct in thinking that a static IP is only really needed for P2P type games?

Also just noticed that Lila only install ground level, that's no good for me since my router, pc and consoles are in the back bedroom.

First question: You can play without but likely to have a bad time. Main issue is that you can connect to others, but they cannot connect to you.

Second question: They install two boxes at your property. The first box is where the fibre will terminate into from the road. The second is the ONT box that you would plug an ethernet cable into that then goes to your router. They will install the ONT box to the front of the property by default, however you may be able to get them to install elsewhere. It would need to be reasonable though. I had the ONT box installed in my garage as it shares the wall with the living room. This was last December and they didn't charge me an extra for doing so.

Associate
First question: You can play without but likely to have a bad time. Main issue is that you can connect to others, but they cannot connect to you.

Second question: They install two boxes at your property. The first box is where the fibre will terminate into from the road. The second is the ONT box that you would plug an ethernet cable into that then goes to your router. They will install the ONT box to the front of the property by default, however you may be able to get them to install elsewhere. It would need to be reasonable though. I had the ONT box installed in my garage as it shares the wall with the living room. This was last December and they didn't charge me an extra for doing so.

They definitely will not install upstairs, a guy in the street asked them for bedroom install, they didn’t.
Best thing would be have ont box down stairs and run an Ethernet to the upstairs to a switch.

Associate
I am looking forward to my install on Thursday. I was signed up with rocket broadband but heard nothing from them after months of waiting. I phoned lilaconnect and they said I can go directly with them £29.99 a month for 18 months. Walking around a large part of my estate there is no sign of anyone taking up this very good offer?.Virgin said they could offer the same speed for £62. I am wondering what the cost will be after 18 months.

Associate
I am looking forward to my install on Thursday. I was signed up with rocket broadband but heard nothing from them after months of waiting. I phoned lilaconnect and they said I can go directly with them £29.99 a month for 18 months. Walking around a large part of my estate there is no sign of anyone taking up this very good offer?.Virgin said they could offer the same speed for £62. I am wondering what the cost will be after 18 months.

I was thinking the very same, I can’t see the price jumping too much, would never pay £60.
Having mine installed Wednesday morning.
Hope the rain stops, don’t want muddy feet in the house,
Just got to figure out where to run the connection under the lawn or under the border. Decisions decisions.

Ouch What area are you in? Stoke?

Associate
i had my 1 g fibre installed today!

its PANTS, 126 to 300 mbps.
been talking to them all day, actually one guy frome lila told me its better than my old ips!!!!! huh! my old isp was 35mbps lila should be in the 900 sssss
dam shocking, got an engin.... coming morrow, if they dont fix it they can dig it up.

warning to all.

Back
Top Bottom