Lily Allen: "History is racist"

Man of Honour
They were similar but you can't compare them? Wat?

I wasn't comparing them in the first place btw.. just pointing out that they were also invaders.

It's just the difference in scale tbh, Zulus invaded what 7/8 countries vs the British empire that Owned about half the world and it's effects can still be seen today.

Caporegime
OP
It’s really easy to win arguments when you just make things up.
At least I don't just ****post one liners in every thread where I see a poster I don't like. Lawd you're tiresome, Von. I actually sigh a little every time I see your name. I refuse to use the ignore function, but damn it's tempting at times.

Man of Honour
of course history is racist, that's why it's such a good thing to talk about, to remind ourselves what we can be capable of.

plus we're kidding ourselves if we think we were the only colonial power, we weren't, we were just the best at it.

It's worth noting in this case that the Zulus were themselves a colonial power and an empire.

But that's different because of currently fashionable racism, apparently. Only "white" people are bad, don't ya know?

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Yes..... indeed....

"**** you (**** you)
**** you very, very much
Cause we hate what you do
And we hate your whole crew"

Yes....... Absolute genius. Stunning. Brilliant. How could the likes of Shakespeare, Shelley, Tennyson or Wylde ever hope to match that, I wonder....
I've seen more clever lyrics on a Whitesnake album!!

She's just a whining little Me Too malcontent, with nothing to actually 'Me Too' about.
That lyrically clever song, It's Not Fair, for example - Perfect guy in every way, aside from one thing which she could easily solve with a rubber band or a battery toy, but she decides it's completely unfair and goes on a whining rant. Never happy....

Shame you don't appreciate the song you quoted in lyrics, as it's one of the ones I do. Unfortunately Trump's antics are overshadowing the Bush Jnr era to an extent, but at the time the song was a knee jerk reaction to the unbelievable bs that was coming from his term in the whitehouse. I could wax lyrical about how it was a song of the times, might be remembered as the voice of the public in the future, but I don't believe any of that. It was just a song that resonated with me at the time, and I noted the (what I interpret to be) frustration with trying to have dialogue with people in power and just resorting to expletives. These lyrics read like garbage on paper, it's the song as a whole that works. Pretty much the same as most lyrics. One particular thing she sang that I've always thought was clever was "weapon of mass consumption".

There's a lot of ska and general garbage from the 80's that were absolute trite to listen to growing up, but it doesn't stop documentaries on BBC lauding them with praise for being political reaction of the public at the time.

I'm not a Lilly Allen fan, but I did appreciate her first album. She's worn very thin on me now though.

Last edited:
Soldato
the song was a knee jerk reaction to the unbelievable bs that was coming from his term in the whitehouse.
Perhaps she should have taken a few moments to consider her words better, rather than ripping off headlines and ranting like an angry clueless teenager.

These lyrics read like garbage on paper
Because they are, and so my point stands, really. Leonard Cohen she is not.... nor Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, or even Rage Against The Machine....

One particular thing she sang that I've always thought was clever was "weapon of mass consumption".
Wow, what a concept... Not like any other lyricist has done that particular play on words several years before, nor any media outlet played on it for a headline....!!!

There's a lot of ska and general garbage from the 80's that were absolute trite to listen to growing up, but it doesn't stop documentaries on BBC lauding them with praise for being political reaction of the public at the time.
Plenty of people have done what you suggest she was trying, but done it far better.

Soldato
Opinions and ring pieces spring to mind. Loose, vacuous ones in particular.
Most of us are interested in our own though, rather than writing songs that try to echo those of others already slated.
It's like jumping on the bandwagon and doing a Gangnam Style parody version of something, about 8 months after that craze has already moved on.

Back
Top Bottom