Liverpool Takeover Thread

Don
he has got most of it right so far too so here's hoping.

He has? How do we know that?

While I don't doubt his honesty and that he has a 'source', there's nothing that proves that what he's told us is accurate. All we know is that what he's told us has also been reported in the Times which could simply mean either he works for the Times and/or has the same source as them. There's a lot of stories being fed to the press from all parties and for all we know Bamba and his source are being played by the Huang camp.

I actually came out of my RAWK excile to say a similar thing the other day and got accused of working for Gillett :o

Associate
Well we don't know for certain if he has yet, but all the mods on RAWK seem to worship him and say he is highly respected, so they are going to be in hell if he's been telling lies all this time, I guess we'll have to wait and see but it's hard to not pay attention to the situation. :o

Don
As I said, I don't doubt his honesty. I'm sure he is getting info from somebody and that he genuinely believes them. However that doesn't mean that his source isn't being fed misleading info.

There's too much being said from everybody to know for certain what's exactly going on and who to believe.

Don
ShanksLegend is a god over there and he's always ****ing wrong. In fact, the guy's a total **** and just plays up to his godlike status, he's somehow got.

Soldato
There's too much being said from everybody to know for certain what's exactly going on and who to believe.

Exactly, this whole sorry saga from the moment the Yanks came in stinks and the sooner its all over the better :mad:

These last two weeks have been like a rollercoaster ride and its starting to make me feel sick.

I have a feeling that any genuine interested parties are going to wait till October now and see if RBS refuses to extend the loan and they will then get the club for peanuts

Caporegime
What I don't understand is what on earth Hicks & Gillett thought they would get? It's obvious to an outsider that they never planned on building the stadium, and that their plan all along was that they simply thought they could make a profit by loading debt onto the club and taking real money out?

Which kind of makes sense, except the club has lost money because the gains they expected never happened because they didn't deliver on their investment promises, so the value of the club never could go up?!

Or am I being stupid and missing the point?

Associate
What I don't understand is what on earth Hicks & Gillett thought they would get? It's obvious to an outsider that they never planned on building the stadium, and that their plan all along was that they simply thought they could make a profit by loading debt onto the club and taking real money out?

Which kind of makes sense, except the club has lost money because the gains they expected never happened because they didn't deliver on their investment promises, so the value of the club never could go up?!

Or am I being stupid and missing the point?

I think whatever their plan was, it was totally compromised by the credit crunch, and ensuing recession. Banks were happy to give credit and thus they bought the club in the 06-07 season, and might well have been able to have invested in a new stadium had they been able to get more loans.

However when the financial crisis started to go down, in late 2007 (iirc?) they were in the awkward position where they had to quickly pay off their short term, high-interest loans that they had taken out to buy the club, but only being able to do so by borrowing against the club at an unfavourable rate. I think any business plan they had depended on them being able to refinance their debt in a way that was beneficial to both them and the club, and they would have been able to carry on with improved operating profits from a new stadium despite the long-term debt. Instead the repayments on the debt are higher than turnover, they don't have the liquidity to invest in a stadium, and the club is haemorrhaging money.

If the financial crisis hadn't of struck when it did, they might have looked liked shrewd businessmen, plenty of property prospectors made fortunes this way in the late 90s/early00s. Sadly they look like idiots because of the timing of the collapse.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm sure I read somewhere RBS were willing to grant a preferential interest rate to any new owners? Could be an incentive for the new owner/s?

Don
There was nothing official, just an article from reuters.

Also, iinm, the article didn't directly say that RBS were offering to finance the takeover, just that they were prepared to offer preferential finance to future owners. This could simply be a simple credit facility that the club already has and has had with RBS or ages.

Last edited:
Associate
Possibly my last bulletin on this ‘ere takeover - I certainly hope so. The Huang bid has been presented to Barcap. There’ll be a little to-ing and fro-ing as Barcap inevitably try to persuade them to increase their offer. Over the next 24 hours Huang & co will get to a point where they say “this is it - this is as high as we’re prepared to go”. Offer will go to LFC board - possibly even tomorrow. Therefore, logically, there’s not much more your Uncle Bamba can tell you. The next we’ll hear from now on in will come when an Official source announces that the bid has been accepted - or not. Here’s hoping.

Lets all gather up and hold hands and pray, or something.

Associate
I think this whole saga is just another way to keep me in despair as a Liverpool fan.

For once things were looking up- new manager, Joe Cole brought in, Stevie and Torres staying.

Then this takeover stuff comes along - maybe we can run under our own steam again and not have the burden of leveraged debt = smile on my face.

BUT THEN BOOM! It's all crap, we will get a poor owner, we are selling Masch for a pittance and replacing him with Poulson etc etc. I've already given up on the season in my heart, anything above 8th will be good for us this year.

Back
Top Bottom