Liverpool Takeover Thread

Don
I make a point of not agreeing with him, read through it all again, he's agreeing with me :p

He implied there's no connection between Scudamore being at the game and our takeover, now he admits that talks probably did happen but added the random bit on the end about the super rich owners :)

Last edited:
Associate
Bamba update;

Just to bring a little sanity to the guessing-games as to who I’m ‘working for’. No-one. I’m certainly not cheerleading one particular bid. I salute the work Jack Slater and others are doing in urging caution and proper detailed scrutiny before we welcome a new bunch of well-heeled saviours through the Shankly Gates. That said, the Huang bid is the one I know a lot about; have done for a while; and am satisfied, via friends, colleagues and contacts inside and outside LFC and the City of London financial community, that his bid and his proposal for the future development of the club stacks up. If there’s another bid of substance that is currently on the table complete with proof of funding, then neither myself or anyone I rely upon for a credible inside track knows about it.

There was definitely a feeling on Friday afternoon that Huang was to be named preferred bidder. It remains a mystery as to why the club advised, around tea-time last Friday, that an official statement was coming within the hour, only for the non-committal statement we all saw to be issued some three or four hours later. It was also odd listening to Christian Purslow state on 5Live that no bid was jumping out as being particularly attractive at the moment, and none had supplied proof of funding. Huang’s bid came complete with the necessary proofs, though a well-placed financial journalist thinks the club has asked for more documentation.

The same journo is convinced that Huang’s proposed takeover has come down to a blinking match. Martin Broughton is looking for a richer valuation than Huang is prepared to pay. Huang is adamant he’ll put as little profit as possible in the current owners’ pockets. Something has to give, and it could be that Huang retires for the time being, if a deal can’t be concluded in time for Roy Hodgson to invest in the current transfer market.

In terms of my gagging, Alan F has it spot on. By a process of elimination, those closest to the sale process will work out who is giving classified information to the likes of myself. For my part, I’ve passed some of that on to the moderators of this site, so they’re satisfied there’s no skulduggery or stealth PR going on. There’s a lot of fascinating detail to reveal, and in time it will all come out. For now, I really am going to shut it. I want Hicks and Gillett gone, and I’m not saying anything more that might in any way stop, or delay that happening.

Keep checking The Times. The two Tonys speak to the same people, and they’re the only journalists who keep calling this takeover accurately.

EDIT- Just for good measure, The Times apparently releasing some kind of interesting story over the next few hours, I have a gut feeling it'll be bad news though.

Last edited:
Associate
Chinese on the verge of walking out on Liverpool takeover deal

Tony Evans, Football Editor, Helen Power, Business Correspondent

Exclusive

The Liverpool takeover saga was plunged into crisis last night when Kenny Huang delivered a take-it-or-leave it message to Martin Broughton.

Huang, the Hong Kong-based businessman, has grown frustrated by what he perceives as delaying tactics by the Liverpool chairman and will walk away unless the Chinese bid is accepted.

Despite Liverpool’s assertions that there are other bidders, Huang believes that his offer is the only viable one on the table. Senior members of the hierarchy at Liverpool have also expressed concern at the pace of the sales process.

After the Chinese interest was revealed in these pages two weeks ago, Broughton said that he expected the club to be sold by the end of last week. However, the deadline passed with Anfield sources claiming that there were still as many as five bids. Huang — who has China Investment Corporation, one of the world’s biggest sovereign wealth funds, among his backers — believes that this is a ploy to push up the price.

Liverpool have suggested that Huang has not offered proof of funds but The Times understands that the Chinese bid has supplied all the necessary documentation required by the memorandum of sale, a legal framework for potential buyers.

A source close to Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) — which is owed £237 million by Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, Liverpool’s owners — said last night that Huang was “there or thereabouts” on providing proof of funding to Barclays Capital, the investment bank brokering the deal. The Chinese offer would make the club debt-free and also bring large-scale investment as part of a total outlay of about £800 million.

Huang is eager to complete the deal before the transfer window closes. The Chinese are concerned that without investment in the squad Liverpool could finish outside the top four this season and want to be in place to provide funds for Roy Hodgson, the manager, as quickly as possible.

Huang has a transfer war chest and has put aside cash to build a new stadium. The Chinese will not dip into these budgets to increase their offer and benefit Hicks and Gillett at the expense of investment in Anfield.

Huang’s stance will heap pressure on Broughton. The chairman of British Airways was brought into the club in April to oversee the sale. The 63-year-old arrived at Anfield with impeccable credentials in the City. However, Broughton has struggled to fulfil this role and is in danger of damaging his reputation.

RBS believes that Huang has the most credible bid and played down the notion of five potential buyers. Sources close to the bank said it was possible that GameDay, the Montreal-based group behind Yahya Kirdi, the Syrian businessman, may become a serious contender if it can show proof of funds.

Rhône Capital, the American private equity group, is still in discussions with Barclays Capital but has not been able to raise sufficient funds to bid.

It has also emerged that RBS could, if necessary, seize control of Liverpool without putting the club into administration, a move that would result in an automatic nine-point deduction by the Premier League.

The bank has been charging Hicks and Gillett £2.5 million a week in penalty fees and could threaten to pursue the Americans for the money if they fail to hand over the keys to Liverpool as part of a debt-for-equity swap.

Other options would include removing Hicks and Gillett from the club’s board.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article2692843.ece

Huang out to dry
We'll have to Huang on to see what happens

:(

Soldato
Webchat with Tony Evans was quite interesting.
Basically, owners are still trying to hold on. Was supposed to be a big announcement last friday re; club sale, but there was (probably) a huge argument at board level etc etc.
Theres been murmurs in the business world about clubs being able to sell their TV rights in the imminent future, H+G want in on this pot of gold.

It gets worse from there =(

Sad thing is, i can actually see game boycotts pretty soon, and picket-lines around the stadium to prevent people access if its not sold soon.

Associate
Apparently plans are being made for Huang to visit England next week for a meeting with broughton/purslow, if this is true then it must be some kind of positive news?

I don't think they would fly him over to say he hasn't been accepted or maybe they are arranging a meeting for all the bidders to say who has been picked, fingers crossed either way.

EDIT- bleh nvm, didn't realise it was fake.

Last edited:
Don
You do realise that press release was made up by a member on the forum not from KH? :p

To be fair to you, the great ShanksLegend (who's saying KH is coming to England) thought it was real too. Don't pay any attention to him though, he's a **** and an attention seeker.

Don
The stuff about Huang meeting the board next week came from ShanksLegend, not the same guy who wrote the 'Huang Statement'.

Despite his status on RAWK, ShanksLegend is far from reliable. I believe he once got some info (directly or indirectly) from Rick Parry and has ever since been regarded as some sort of super insider. Unfortunately he plays up to his 'itk' tag even when he has no idea what's going on and despite being proven to be wrong time and time again, he's still worshipped on there.

Last edited:
Soldato
KH has pulled out of the running to buy Liverpool FC, stating its down to being 'messed around' by the board and current owners.

<Swear> great.

Don
stating its down to being 'messed around' by the board and current owners.

The statement doesn't say that at all :confused:

Here's the statement:
After due consideration, Kenny Huang and QSL Sports is withdrawing from the ongoing sales process with respect to Liverpool FC. Mr. Huang has formally notified the Chairman of the Liverpool FC Board.

“Over the past few months we learned firsthand that Liverpool has a very special place in the hearts of millions of fans around the world,” Mr. Huang said. “We concluded that a plan that properly capitalizes the business and provides funds for a new stadium and player related costs would allow Liverpool FC to provide its great fans with the success they deserve. Our strategy and unique ability to expand the fan base in Asia would also have been of benefit to all. We regret that we will not have the opportunity to implement this strategy.”

“We thank the many Liverpool fans who expressed support for our efforts and wish the club great success in the years to come. I am now considering my future options and will be making no further comment at this time,” Mr. Huang said.

Not massively surprised to be honest. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks and maybe then we'll have a clearer picture as to why this statement has come out. As it is, there's any number of possible reasons.

Soldato
My info came from Tony Evans on Talksport.

He said:

KH's bid was only credible bid.
Was supposed to be named as being prime bidder last friday.
Argument at board room level, so the above didn't occur.
Owners want to hold on anyway they can to get a bite of the TV rights cherry (Apparently, FA are allowing clubs to sell TV rights to countries not covered by current rights packages 'Soon')
KH Wanted to be in control before transfer window -> New UEFA rules from next year mean that if the club doesnt make CL this year, then spending next year will be forced some ~60mill less then it could have been -> Valuation of club suffers
Owners tried to force Gerrard and Torres out 'amicably' to raise cash to assist in keeping control of the club, come Jan Torres will be off by the owners hand or his own, if the current owners are still around.

Last edited:
Soldato
This now really leaves us with the syrian guy? If that is the case, then I am very sceptical if I really want him when he is good friends with the son of one of our two yank clowns.

Back
Top Bottom