London pollution & ULEZ

There is a distinction between "fun" and "not watching paint dry". 20mph is distinctly closer to the latter...
And this is (sadly) why humans need to be removed from the equation.

Residential streets are the most dangerous roads in the whole country. The vast majority of serious and fatal accidents happen in 20 or 30mph areas.

I would rather "watch paint dry" then send someone to A&E, or run over a much-beloved furry family member. In fact I mostly do 20 in 30mph zones, and I actively support the "20 is plenty" campaign. Not because I'm a saint, but because I understand that I'm behind the wheel of a deadly weapon, unless driven safely.

I could cycle faster than that
And? Cyclists should obey the speed limit too. Many cyclists can do more than 30mph, too.

This whole discussion is about residential areas, where statistics show that most fatal and serious accidents are already occuring.

And people think that it's unfair to be made to drive slowly in residential areas.

The mind literally boggles.

I'm also willing to bet that if either of you were hit by a driver doing 40mph in a 30 zone, you'd want the book thrown at them. And probably compensation, too.

I doubt very much you'd say, "Whatever! It's fun to drive fast!"

Last edited:
If air quality was such a concern why is he not addressing the appalling quality of air on the tube?
Air quality on the underground doesn't effect everyone all day and night..

And as has been said a couple of times they are doing something about it, the problem is that it's not something that can be dealt with quickly or easily as they're trying to adapt infrastructure from 100 years ago.
As has been posted they've done things like change the braking materials on the trains, IIRC they've changed the materials the wheels and tracks are made from (reduces rate of wear thus particulates), and they've been doing things like slowly doing a deep clean whilst also maintaining a normal cleaning routine, not to mention things like the ban on smoking which massively improved air quality on it.

About the only other thing they could potentially do is new ventilation shafts and more active ventilation but that then requires major engineering works and very careful planning because they need to take into account everything from the size of the tube tunnels and the equipment that goes through it, to any new fire risks, and noise that might be transmitted via additional vents to the surface.
I think that is being worked on, but it's very slow and something that you're unlikely to see (I suspect some of the station refurbishments have probably had an element of consideration for airflow).

The tube in the UK is very much a victim of it's age and being the first real one, as it was recognised not long after it was built that there were issues with ventilation etc and even now they're still learning and applying lessons to newer tube networks around the world.

Basically, they can care about the air overground at the same time as underground, and you're very unlikely to be aware of most of the stuff they're doing to the underground.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom