London pollution & ULEZ

Show me where it says
It says:
Around two-thirds of crashes in which people are killed or injured occur on roads with a speed limit of 30 mph or less.
I've read that numerous times in numerous places, and it's been true for as long as I'm aware. It's not hard to imagine why that would be the case. Think: children playing. OAPs crossing roads (etc).

Nearly all residential roads have speed bumps where I live, good luck even maintaining 20mph unless you want an uncomfortable ride.

A-roads with 20mph limits are extreme though. When 90% of the traffic ignores it, you know it isn't suitable. Never even see buses, ambulances or police cars adhere to them.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to see what number of those are actually a result of people exceeding 30mph.
The point is, those areas are already have the most accidents. Adding more speed isn't going to help! But, since you mentioned it, there was a survey I saw recently that showed a huge % of drivers (a clear majority) broke those limits routinely. People either don't care, or don't believe that speed is linked to accidents.

But some of us do support the "20 is plenty" campaign to reduce speed where people live. Where there are pedestrians, parked cars, animals, narrow streets - basically a whole lot of hazards.

People should live in a rat-run residential street and see how much "fun" it is to have people mindlessly zooming through at whatever speed they feel like, safety be damned.

The point is, those areas are already have the most accidents. Adding more speed isn't going to help! But, since you mentioned it, there was a survey I saw recently that showed a huge % of drivers (a clear majority) broke those limits routinely. People either don't care, or don't believe that speed is linked to accidents.

But some of us do support the "20 is plenty" campaign to reduce speed where people live. Where there are pedestrians, parked cars, animals, narrow streets - basically a whole lot of hazards.

People should live in a rat-run residential street and see how much "fun" it is to have people mindlessly zooming through at whatever speed they feel like, safety be damned.

Issuing motorists tickets for 22mph in a 20mph is probably a factor. People too focused on not getting booked rather than what’s going on around them. I’d much prefer to see motorist punished more severely for hitting pedestrians along with parent’s neglecting children's safety because they’re glued to mobile phones. I see this way to often.

Last edited:
Issuing motorists tickets for 22mph in a 20mph is probably a factor. People too focused on not getting booked rather than what’s going on around them. I’d much prefer to see motorist punished more severely for hitting pedestrians along with parent’s neglecting children's safety because they’re glued to mobile phones. I see this way to often.
has anyone actually been ticketed for 22 in a 20?
IIRC none of the normal speed camera/enforcement gear was rated for 20mph officially as of a few years ago, and 2mph over is not within the guidelines.

I suspect most of the people that will claim they were done for that were probably doing in excess of 30.

What about the climate is changing exactly, a few degrees here and there which goes in cycles, C02 has gone up by 0.001?!?

Love the added nonsense when someone disagrees with the hysteria.
lol I just replied in kind to your post. If people want to believe that all the scientists who are convinced about mans contribution to climate change are wrong that is up to them.
I would genuinely be interested to see your sources as well as their academic qualifications (as well as who is paying their wages) of expert who still claims there is no such thing as climate change linked to our actions.

But if you are going to try to change the actual warnings from climate scientists to say they are hysterically claiming it's going to happen immediately , then I guess I can use hyperbole as well .

we are releasing millions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere which has been locked away for millions of years. of course that has to go somewhere .... and yes it was free once before so the planet won't care if it is free again... but it doesn't mean it will make good living for us.

however back to topic.

I wonder how the parents of Ella Adoo-Kissi-Debrah feel about the theory that cars don't contribute to crap air quality in built up areas?

I will admit about ULEZ... it does seem to have more holes in it than in a packet of polo mints.... and I can see why one may think that is to give certain people an easy out to keep them happy whilst the average person on the street just has to suck it up

Last edited:
has anyone actually been ticketed for 22 in a 20?
IIRC none of the normal speed camera/enforcement gear was rated for 20mph officially as of a few years ago, and 2mph over is not within the guidelines.

I suspect most of the people that will claim they were done for that were probably doing in excess of 30.

I know of a couple. Could have been 23mph.

And? Cyclists should obey the speed limit too. Many cyclists can do more than 30mph, too.

This whole discussion is about residential areas, where statistics show that most fatal and serious accidents are already occuring.

And people think that it's unfair to be made to drive slowly in residential areas.

The mind literally boggles.
Saying that, there has been many cycling incidents of cyclist running over pedestrian in london. So there's that

I know of a couple. Could have been 23mph.
would they not just have to go on an awareness course.....? or would that not be offered as it's over 10% over the limit? I won't lie , sticking to 20 is hard on roads.... but it's worth the effort if in areas where there are kids etc. if a driver really can't control their speed in such areas they should get a car with a limiter on to do it for them.

Last edited:
would they not just have to go on an awareness course.....? or would that not be offered as it's over 10% over the limit? I won't lie , sticking to 20 is hard on roads.... but it's worth the effort if in areas where there are kids etc. if a driver really can't control their speed in such areas they should get a car with a limiter on to do it for them.

I would honestly prefer drivers to pay as much attention to what’s on the road in front and around them as possible.

Last edited:
I would honestly prefer drivers to pay as much attention to what’s on the road in front and around them as possible.
If you can't control your speed you won't pass your test. If people manage to do it to pass their test, I'm not sure why it becomes so difficult later on, whilst maintaining situational awareness.

But again, maybe it's time to remove the human factor completely, if such a feat is beyond our capability.

If you can't control your speed you won't pass your test. If people manage to do it to pass their test, I'm not sure why it becomes so difficult later on, whilst maintaining situational awareness.

But again, maybe it's time to remove the human factor completely, if such a feat is beyond our capability.

Completely missing the point. I take it you don’t drive?

Have you passed any tests? If so post 649 should make sense to you.
I've re-read your post a couple times and I believe you are saying that people watching the speedo are partially responsible (to a statistically significant degree) for the prevalence of accidents in residential areas.

Would that be a fair summary or your argument?

Back
Top Bottom