London pollution & ULEZ

I doubt the government's contractor for armoured cars has much choice in that regard, just the daily mail being selective as usual.
As far as I’m aware, ministerial cars in the U.K. are not armoured, they are just normal cars.

They try to use cars assembled in the U.K. from ‘British brands’ for optics and the only cars that are suitable that are sufficiently premium to be used as a ‘town car’ and are not so luxury they send the wrong message are made by JLR.

Outside of JLR, you don’t have many options for ‘British brands’:
Mini
Vauxhall Astra, Vavaro ( :p )
MG ( :cry: )

Then you have:
Rolls Royce
Lotus
Bentley

Those are not exactly going to fly as a ministerial car…

I think the only true British owned and assembled cars that are Mclaren, Morgan and Caterham. Imagine the PM or a minister being driven around in a Morgan 3 wheeler…

Last edited:
As far as I’m aware, ministerial cars in the U.K. are not armoured, they are just normal cars.

They try to use cars assembled in the U.K. from ‘British brands’ for optics and the only cars that are suitable that are sufficiently premium to be used as a ‘town car’ and are not so luxury they send the wrong message are made by JLR.

Outside of JLR, you don’t have many options for ‘British brands’:
Mini
Vauxhall Astra, Vavaro ( :p )
MG ( :cry: )

Then you have:
Rolls Royce
Lotus
Bentley

Those are not exactly going to fly as a ministerial car…

I think the only true British owned and assembled cars that are Mclaren, Morgan and Caterham. Imagine the PM or a minister being driven around in a Morgan 3 wheeler…

Sadiq has to have special security due to all the death threats he gets from rational people.

It came as no surprise to me to find out that – after the Queen and the prime minister – Sadiq Khan is the third most heavily guarded person in Britain.

The Mayor of London will have up to 15 heavily armed police officers on duty around him at any one time, men who are trained marksmen and skilled in emergency medical procedures.

The reason it didn’t surprise me is that I regularly make the mistake of looking at the replies Khan gets on Twitter. Almost anything he says, even the most innocuous, cheerful statement, is met with an incredible barrage of the most vicious, racist abuse you can imagine.

Forget the 15 armed guards, the police should have a team of at least 15 tracking the kind of people who abuse Khan on social media.

And the abuse isn’t just limited to Londoners, the angry white men who think Khan is ruining the city they love. It’s not even just angry white men from Britain. No. The abuse Khan gets is international and on a vast scale. Again, this didn’t surprise me.

Last edited:
Sadiq made an appearance at my workplace last year, to discuss clean air and poor children. Motorcade of four 4x4s, suited close protection, police, the works. Think they were Land Rovers. Parked on the pavement/double yellows and the wrong way up a one way street, of course! :cry:

I am just astounded by the way this Ulez thing is being used to put forward rightwing (Tory) propaganda to really stupid people.

Here is the latest stupid story.

Next week they will put a story about all the other people that wont have to pay the charge as well.
Irrelevant anyway, even if his car did fall under ULEZ rules he would just expense it.

I would vote for an MP banging around in a McLaren or a caterham...... or maybe a well looked after 10 -15 years old cerbera/Tuscan?

(not being 100% serious... whilst I am shallow I am not *that* shallow)

Last edited:
you know.... yes it's biased hypocritical BS reporting ... and it's not only his car which is exempt it's almost all remotely new aiCE cars . but that said.... He should have seen it coming and really he would have been better off driving an EV even if just for optics (if he likes JLR be could just get an ipace)
While I agree, even if he were to drive an BEV, the daily mail would find some fault with it. Failing that they'd just say he's being woke and the argument would be done and won by its readers.

Yes 15 protection staff all riding around on bicycles.

Its the reason he has to have an armoured car.
Armed guards don’t mean they are driving round in armoured cars.

You can spot an armoured car from a mile away when the person is getting in/out. U.K. politicians look like they are driven around in regular vehicles. They may have some equipment on board such as a few rifles in the boot but that doesn’t mean they are armoured.

Look up ‘the beast’ which the US president gets driven around in. The ‘glass’ (lexan?) in the windows is literally 15+ cm thick.

Armed guards don’t mean they are driving round in armoured cars.

You can spot an armoured car from a mile away when the person is getting in/out. U.K. politicians look like they are driven around in regular vehicles. They may have some equipment on board such as a few rifles in the boot but that doesn’t mean they are armoured.

Look up ‘the beast’ which the US president gets driven around in. The ‘glass’ (lexan?) in the windows is literally 15+ cm thick.

They obviously think there is a bigger threat than you do as it is the protection officers that make the recomendations about his security.

Fair point it only seems to be the Daily Mail that mentions it not only being bullet proof but costing £300k.

To be fair, I did just look up the daily fail article and it does indeed picture an armoured range rover. The give away is the 'glass' (or lack there of it) and all the reinforcement around the windows. It seems they are sometimes moving Rishi around in one as well, can't say I ever spotted Bozo being driven around in one though.

I”ll be voting for Sadiq next May.

He actually implements policies. ULEZ is cancelled out in my mind (and I’ll have to pay it for one of my cars) by the fact he introduced free school meals for all kids. Nobody talks about that though do they.

Plus, if you haven”t seen the likely opposition (of which Binface is by far the most palatable) then you should check them out :cry:

Back
Top Bottom