London pollution & ULEZ

Completely wrong.

ULEZ is not about CO2 emissions.
Never said it was.

My point was that due to the cack handed way they're attempted to implement their idea the system is failing to target the vehicles it should be and instead skewing more towards a direction that results in older/less valuable vehicles being targeted (AKA the cars poor people own) while ignoring more polluting vehicles which are newer/higher value (AKA the cars non-poor people drive).

The end result being that poor people are being taxed more to use their cars and the government are patting themselves on the back like "cool this will force them to get rid and we can get all these old cars off the road" when in reality a lot of them will be replaced by more polluting vehicles that are ULEZ complient.

There seems to be a misconception that ULEZ is unpopular with the public just because it's an extra tax on those who have the least, it's not, it's unpopular with the public because it's an extra tax on those who have the least and it isn't even doing the job it's supposed to.

Last edited:
Never said it was.

So why did you quote figures for CO2 instead of figures for the emissions actually being targeted?

My point was that due to the cack handed way they're attempted to implement their idea the system is failing to target the vehicles it should be and instead skewing more towards a direction that results in older/less valuable vehicles being targeted (AKA the cars poor people own) while ignoring more polluting vehicles which are newer/higher value (AKA the cars non-poor people drive).

This is plain wrong, regarding the emissions it's actually targetting.

There seems to be a misconception that ULEZ is unpopular with the public just because it's an extra tax on those who have the least, it's not, it's unpopular with the public because it's an extra tax on those who have the least and it isn't even doing the job it's supposed to.

It's not unpopular with the public, as has been demonstrated repeatedly in this thread. What's more, in areas that actually have it, as opposed to areas where hysterical fears have been deliberately stirred up it's much more popular than areas where it hasn't the same. The same is true of similar schemes in other countries.

turns out the government know from report that both euro5&6 nedc Nox (one of ulez criteria) real world values are much worse than they should be, lab based testing strategy is flawed.

so it's not very surprising that Khan then had to misrepresent the improvement results from the existing ulez reductions to justify the expanded one -
(the euro4/5 cars are no where near as good as they should be and egr system seems responsible

In future this will requiremanufacturers presenting a vehicle for type approval to declare the presence of anyaspect of the emissions control system (for example the EGR control strategy) whichmight reduce its effectiveness during real world use

)

53148734489_5c9faf736f_o_d.jpg

Im fairly sure a lot of those vehicles are exempt due to age any way?

Mercedes SL500 (1987 plate) driven by Claire who lives in the new zone will also have to pay in the future to drive her classic Mercedes

Maybe not it seems its 40 years.

Last edited:
I'm not effected by this as i don't live in London, i live near a city though so who knows what will happen. I'd have no problem with it if it's actually targeting highly polluting vehicles and not just older vehicles.

Local councils are still mugging off Khan and refusing to put new signs up, so let's see how that plays out. Surely they can't use those cameras without the boundary warning signs, it won't be legal.

Last edited:
I'm not effected by this as i don't live in London, i live near a city though so who knows what will happen. I'd have no problem with it if it's actually targeting highly polluting vehicles and not just older vehicles.
yeah doesn't affect me either but surely it's a good thing to stop highly polluting vehicles stinking up the place. not good for inner city dwellers health.

Last edited:
Local councils are still mugging off Khan and refusing to put new signs up, so let's see how that plays out. Surely they can't use those cameras without the boundary warning signs, it won't be legal.
could the sign not go up just inside the boundary next to the 1st camera..... if they then turn around at the nearest opportunity they could forgo the fine, but if they get picked up on other cameras then they would be done.............

or are there councils within the area refusing to play ball and not just those on the boundary (if so cant they refuse to put the cameras up as well?)

It has nothing to do with the actual emissions/polution of the vehicle as that would be too complicated for government, it's basically just going off age, so effectively the more your car is worth the less likely you are to have to pay, hence why it's considered a tax on the poor.

Of course it does. Diesel engines need to be Euro6 compliant, easy to know if yours is, if you have to put AdBlue in it its compliant. Adblue turns nitrogen oxides into nitrogen and water.

is there any web page up on the planned future on ULEZ? because i think this is really important..... I know ULEZ is not about CO2 at the moment however i would think (hope) that at some point in the future they will start to tighten what qualifies.

Forewarned is forarmed as they say, and IF it isnt going to be tightend up in the next 5 years then people who are skint should be able to fairly easily find a car not to expensive to comply......... but it would be pretty cruel to let people go out, buy a car, and then 12 months from now move the goal posts again and the same people be in the same boat again having to look for a slightly cleaner car again.

better to give people a heads up imo in the hope they can measure twice and cut once as it were.

1 thing in the daily mail which made me smile (i dont read it but it was in my news feed) but it was banging on about how the poor are getting hit really hard (which is a fair point) however the article in question chose to put pics up of grumpy owners one with a mercedes and best of all i kid you not one with a Ferrari Testarossa. It is a rare time where i actually read a mail article and think that fundamentally they do have a point worth discussing at least.............. but even then they managed to somewhat undermine their own article.

I don't know how it works but if the government really want to stick to Khan they should relocate areas like Havering Borough council and bring under the per view of Essex rather then the Greater London Authority. I'm sure there are other boroughers that wouldn't mind breaking away from the GLA at this point either.

turns out the government know from report that both euro5&6 nedc Nox (one of ulez criteria) real world values are much worse than they should be, lab based testing strategy is flawed.

That data clearly shows Euro 6 is much better than Euro 5, though. In fact, the absolute difference is much greater in the real world than the lab based tests, so doesn't it make the case for ULEZ stronger rather than weaker?

Im fairly sure a lot of those vehicles are exempt due to age any way?

Maybe not it seems its 40 years.

These are the people who I feel for. You have a car that you love but because it isn't old enough to be exempt you get crucified for it. It doesn't have to be a Ferrari either. I knew of someone who had a Peugeot 306 which belonged to his dad. It had sentimental value and was absolutely mint inside and out.

People can keep horses for recreational use and I am sure they cause more pollution than a car doing 1000 miles a year yet they are charged nothing. Having a classic car is no different. Luckily for me I live away from the madness of London but if I had to pay £12.50 a day to enjoy my classic I would be slightly peeved to say the least.

The logical thing would be to charge people for mileage driven and have a grace period for the first 1000 miles. People might think twice then about using their car for unnecessary runs.

Back
Top Bottom