London pollution & ULEZ

Do you honestly think they would get away with that in this country?

Incidentally, that is how the ULEZ zones work in France and Belgium.
Of course they would get away with it in this country. When was the last time we protested like the French do against something? We quietly tut and have a moan.

How long before someone runs through it multiple times wearing a copy of some MPs number plate? Apparently if you wear a t-shirt with a plate printed on it, it gets picked up

It may or may not be an exaggeration, but consuming poisons typically leads to a shorter life, yes?

There is no hard proof people are actually poisoned by traffic pollution though. Maybe in very enclosed spaces like tunnels, but not in the open air. There are just estimates which differ wildly. Things like mould and dust from building work etc are much worse for health and I don't see Khan sorting out that in public property or council houses.

Last edited:
There is no hard proof people are actually poisoned by traffic pollution though. Maybe in very enclosed spaces like tunnels, but not in the open air. There are just estimates which differ wildly. Things like mould and dust from building work etc are much worse for health and I don't see Khan sorting out that in public property or council houses.

Thats not what the research shows which the UK gov, the US gov, WHO etc state. They seem to say the research shows there is is an increase in strokes, heart disease, asthma, lung cancer and causes about 28k deaths. While those studies include all other causes of air pollution as well, in large cities, vehicles are one of the main causes along with heating

Drove down to South London last night, the 20 mph zones are soooooooooo painfully slow.
On Monday I drove from South London all the way up to North London, through the centre. It's the first time I have done it in a long while and the Satnav said it was the fastest route at about an hour and would have used a lot less fuel. I paid my congestion charge and set off. It took well over two hours; it was 20mph the whole journey and the traffic lights seemed to be phased to stop me at every light. Lots of stop/start driving and pumping out fumes while stopped at the lights. I'm convinced it is deliberate to annoy people enough to avoid London, and that fixing the phasing and returning back to 30mph would reduce emissions.

For the return journey I couldn't face it again and drove out of London to go all the way round the M25 before driving back in again - causing significantly higher emissions and using more fuel at 70mph - but a much quicker journey.

This is probably what Sadiq wants but I'm never driving anywhere in London again. I'll just spend my money elsewhere instead. While unrelated to that journey, I'm also cutting back my days in the office further because I'm fed up with overcrowded trains to get into London.

yes he's upped speeding cameras and that revenue too - Cambridge is just as bad on 20mph
... slowly, now
TfL is also working to lower speeds on a further 140km of its roads by May 2024 in inner and outer London, after introducing 28km of new lower speed limit schemes in March 2023. Indicative TfL monitoring of the 20mph speed limits introduced on roads within the central London Congestion Charging Zone shows a significant reduction in the number of collisions since its introduction. Data collected from 1st May 2020 to 30 June 2022 shows the number of collisions reduced by 25 per cent (from 406 to 304), and collisions resulting in death or serious injury reduced by 25 per cent (from 94 to 71), demonstrating the huge impact of lowering speeds across London.TfL is working with the Met Police to increase their capacity to take enforcement action against drivers and riders who speed. They are currently on track to be able to take action on a million speeding offences by 2024/5, to provide a more effective deterrent to speeding.  The Met Police enforced around 620,000 speeding offences committed in 2022/23, an increase of 35 per cent compared to the previous year.

e: almost implies they haven't got enough printers to print all the tickets at the moment

Last edited:
Thats not what the research shows which the UK gov, the US gov, WHO etc state. They seem to say the research shows there is is an increase in strokes, heart disease, asthma, lung cancer and causes about 28k deaths. While those studies include all other causes of air pollution as well, in large cities, vehicles are one of the main causes along with heating

Yeah, but that is using science and expert opinion , and who trusts experts when you can just lie and claim your lie is just as valid as peer-reviewed research based on facts and empirical evidence?

I do laugh at the people that complain about getting fines for doing stuff they shouldnt.
People are complaining about the reason the fines were brought in. If it's for genuine safety concerns then that is a completely valid reason to bring in a fine. If it's just for revenue collection, as many of us suspect, then it is a reason to complain.

I don't have cruise control, and not sure it works as low as 20mph anyway, but if I had to drive daily at 20mph with very frequent cameras I think I'd soon have a ticket
not sure what is the latest camera tech has ranges of 100m+ to track cars that would make it even more difficult.

yes - true - at least there is evidence on the safety improvements of 20mph (but maybe the drivers who don't like that started cycling instead)

People are complaining about the reason the fines were brought in. If it's for genuine safety concerns then that is a completely valid reason to bring in a fine. If it's just for revenue collection, as many of us suspect, then it is a reason to complain.

Will it actually bring in much money? Considering all the costs associated with installing the cameras, maintaining them, fixing them, issuing penalties, chasing non-payment, staffing of the system etc. Considering 95% of people are not going to be paying it because they don't have antique cars or will update them I would suggest that if its a cash grab they should probably fire Baldrick before he spends all that ULEZ money on a turnip.

Apparently the ULEZ signs are illegal because they don't show how much they are charging.

A case was won at a tribunal case, so can't be used to set a precedence. But can be used as an argument in other charging zones around the country.
This seems daft, does that mean every roadsign that you could be issued a charge by breaking isn't valid? What about speed signs? :confused:

Will it actually bring in much money? Considering all the costs associated with installing the cameras, maintaining them, fixing them, issuing penalties, chasing non-payment, staffing of the system etc. Considering 95% of people are not going to be paying it because they don't have antique cars or will update them I would suggest that if its a cash grab they should probably fire Baldrick before he spends all that ULEZ money on a turnip.
That's a fair challenge.

Not only that, it will bring in less and less money over time and eventually reach zero if it stays in its current form. Particularly as cars are going electric…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom