London pollution & ULEZ

Apparently the ULEZ signs are illegal because they don't show how much they are charging.

A case was won at a tribunal case, so can't be used to set a precedence. But can be used as an argument in other charging zones around the country.

That data clearly shows Euro 6 is much better than Euro 5, though. In fact, the absolute difference is much greater in the real world than the lab based tests, so doesn't it make the case for ULEZ stronger rather than weaker?
yes euro6 manfestly helps, but euro5/6 egr mechanisms mftrs put in place to control nox are specifically/delinquently to address the nedc testing conditions (along same lines as the VAG 'fix')
and, speculating, the euro4 is not much worse than euro5 in real world conditions.

Khans's analysis was flawed because it's projected (85/90% was it?) reduction, included the impact of the original inner congestion which applied to all ICE, and he attributed reduction to just euro4/ulez zone
but, those cars weren't any more polluting than the euro5 majority that remain,

the actual ulez impact was only a few percent, from Imperial analysis, and, is consistent with that speculation ... the euro4's were a drop in the ocean.

... so do something that addresses the real problem.

yes euro6 manfestly helps, but euro5/6 egr mechanisms mftrs put in place to control nox are specifically/delinquently to address the nedc testing conditions (along same lines as the VAG 'fix')
and, speculating, the euro4 is not much worse than euro5 in real world conditions.

Khans's analysis was flawed because it's projected (85/90% was it?) reduction, included the impact of the original inner congestion which applied to all ICE, and he attributed reduction to just euro4/ulez zone
but, those cars weren't any more polluting than the euro5 majority that remain,

the actual ulez impact was only a few percent, from Imperial analysis, and, is consistent with that speculation ... the euro4's were a drop in the ocean.

... so do something that addresses the real problem.
Ban all cars, LGVs, HGVs, PSVs, gas boilers and log burners in London?

That would work but that’s not going to go down well is it.

Last edited:
I really REALLY hope the election doesn't become a single decisive issue like Brexit. Out of all the things we should care about...ULEZ ain't it. Was thinking more everything else that's in crisis, which is...well...everything in the UK.

I really REALLY hope the election doesn't become a single decisive issue like Brexit. Out of all the things we should care about...ULEZ ain't it. Was thinking more everything else that's in crisis, which is...well...everything in the UK.

Already happening.

The government is to use the expansion of London’s ultra-low emission zone (Ulez) to go on the attack over what it has called “Labour’s war on motorists”, part of a wider battle against green policies it hopes could prove popular with voters.

With the extension of the clean air scheme to every London borough beginning at midnight on Monday, Sadiq Khan, the capital’s Labour mayor, said that while the decision was difficult, the devastating health effects of toxic exhausts trumped other considerations.

In what could be seen as a coded swipe against Keir Starmer, who pressured the mayor to pause the extension of the £12.50 daily charge for using a heavily polluting vehicle, Khan said he wanted to be “a doer, not a delayer”.

“The easiest thing for me to do would have been to kick the can down the road, but we simply don’t have time to waste,” he said.

Despite Starmer’s ambivalence about Ulez and mooted clean air schemes in other cities, ministers plan to directly link the expansion to the Labour leader, echoing the tactics that helped the Tories to an unexpected win in July’s Uxbridge byelection.

The extended clean air zone “is the latest salvo in Labour’s war on motorists”, said the transport secretary, Mark Harper, who will be dispatched on to Tuesday morning’s broadcast round to amplify the message.

“From a ban on road building in Wales to a tax on the poorest motorists in London and secret Labour plans to make drivers pay per mile – the realities of Labour politicians in positions of power are ideological policies that hit hardworking motorists hard,” he said.

And all the idiots that were fooled by them before will be fooled again.

Im fairly sure the Tories are costing us more than an extra 12.50 a day with their bad handling of the countries finances and thats without even driving. The cheek of them.

Apparently the ULEZ signs are illegal because they don't show how much they are charging.

A case was won at a tribunal case, so can't be used to set a precedence. But can be used as an argument in other charging zones around the country.
Correct.

So the absence of ULEZ signs in the expanded boroughs refusing to put them up will almost certainly allow appeals.

People are ******* idiots so of course it will. They will forget the last decade and vote on a single stupid ******* issue that doesn't even affect 95% of them. We truly are heading towards an idiocracy style future. People don't even have to have something affect them directly as long as its something "the other side" want.

The sheer amount poorer people are from the last 15 years is astonishing but the real villain here is a £12.50 charge that 5% of people will have to pay because their cars are so old and polluting. Pay the charge or take the money for scrapping your old car and buy a new one. Its pretty simple.

Its pathetic how much of a hot topic this is with everything else thats happening right now.

An MP being made to drive a Cerbera/Tuscan would be a great way to force a by-election. Ditch finders.
i knew someone who had the 4.5l cerbera. Almost bought one myself but then i had a taste of a lemon car and it put me off..... I went for a 350z instead. less jaw dropping mentalism but at least it was not out to kill me.

People are ******* idiots so of course it will. They will forget the last decade and vote on a single stupid ******* issue that doesn't even affect 95% of them. We truly are heading towards an idiocracy style future. People don't even have to have something affect them directly as long as its something "the other side" want.

The sheer amount poorer people are from the last 15 years is astonishing but the real villain here is a £12.50 charge that 5% of people will have to pay because their cars are so old and polluting. Pay the charge or take the money for scrapping your old car and buy a new one. Its pretty simple.

Its pathetic how much of a hot topic this is with everything else thats happening right now.
and dont forget its not even a labour policy. its a conservative policy which is also supported by a labour mayor. It boggles me how the Tories are getting away with this hoodwink, gotta hand it to them its a total wheeze.

I would expect the extension to make a significant difference to the amount of non compliant vehicles entering central London. I live just outside the M25, on average I drive inside the north circular (original ULEZ zone) a couple of times a week so was looking at £25 a week, £1300 a year. At that price it wasn't worth me upgrading my 2016 van that was Euro 5. With the extension coming I would be looking at £50 a week on average or £2600 per year as I drive inside the M25 4 times a week, that is an amount that makes upgrading seem more appealing. However the oil pump **** itself on my old van in March so I upgraded to a Euro 6 van and so am compliant. I can see a lot of Euro 5 owners now upgrading to Euro 6 and so the air quality in central London will improve. Will be interesting to see if the income from ULEZ in a years time is lower that it will be in the next month.

Last edited:

Fisty cuffs over Ulez now

People used to do that with speed cameras but got bored of that (prosecuted?) so imagine the fad will pass in time. They better be local council tax payers though otherwise that’s serious pee taking!

butter wouldn't melt you can see why Khan is so loved (like his predecessor)
channel4 trying to nail him on his lies/claims - by George the medias got it.

Back
Top Bottom