Long time no see. Upgrade time.

OK. So more stuff ordered. I got two more flow meters to make 4. The straight rotaries are for connecting them together. However, I am going to remove the blades and just use them as a pretty water fall lol. I couldn't get any decent clear coolant, so I went with purple. I won't change the colour scheme as I find it very calming.

I also found a nice RGB plate kit for the unifan I have. At a tenner it was a no brainer. Will possibly mod the other two and put them somewhere in the rig. All the RGB.

foSMI83.png

Oh yeah. I got a bit lazy and bought the EK mount. I will, however, make some cover plates for it so it looks less anus. Oh and a extremely cheap Splitty 9. I don't like the Lian Li fan hubs they are flimsy and nasty. In fact, I don't even think they are Lian Li I think I found them in a drawer. That will hook directly into the LT.

BTW RE 3d printing. If I do it will be a resin printer.

Also ! I fixed the nasty Lian Li Strimer light tubes.

When I got it it was B grade, and cheap AF. Like really cheap (just like me lmao). Any way, the cables were white. Which looked, well, cack. So I changed them out for black ones (they came with the ROG psu, which was also cheap :D ).

Any way, they are quite fiddly (understatement of the year) and annoying. Last night I found some more cable clips and.. Before...

Wm7vY4R.jpg

You can see what I mean. They overlap and fall back into the black cables. So, feex. This took me two hours :/

e5H6vw1.jpg

The joy of resin is that it's toxic, requires washing and curing. That put me off the process TBH but YMMV. One of the things you could do (when you need additive manufacturing to complement the subtractive CNC that you already have) is standard 3D print prototypes to make sure things fit and look right. Once you're happy, you put an order in to have it printed in resin or Multi Jet Fusion or even sintered metal. The same companies that make PCBs do this as a service.

Indeed and that is why I don't have one yet :D

Block has been delayed until Monday. Meh. I reckon there be some serious flooding RN. Just ordered an A3 metallic silver sheet of acrylic and this.

UuoOkc5.png

That will live here.

yoRPcTY.jpg

And get that annoying hose out of the way of the pump, res etc.

So apparently it was delayed until it wasn't. Sitting on the floor removing pieces of it and the intercom went off.

rGkJZ4V.jpg

I've had GPUs come in smaller boxes.

6qasN6y.jpg

v5iD8EL.jpg

hah ! how did they know I just redone my desk and didn't have a coaster?

KynlM2q.jpg

OK so it was time to see if the block indeed needs machining. However, before that I got some pics. Mostly of its heft. 2.5 slot water block any one?

CLgG05d.jpg

cCMvo2l.jpg

Eifttag.jpg

OK so before I did anything more I looked at the card. Now note, the arrows pointing to the edge of the PCB. Also note how that PCB sticks out around 2mm from the cooler/back plate itself.

JHJME0P.jpg

And so then I am starting to think "ahhhhh, maybe the 6950XT PCB is a few mm taller and thus why it won't fit. However, as soon as I stripped the card apart it literally fell into the block and fits like a glove.

1GymYIo.jpg

However !. Note now how the PCB sits inside the block. That's all fine and dandy and all, but what would be there in the motherboard?

To1LfvT.jpg

But of course ! a slot :D

Thus, as I predicted, this is NOT a 6950XT problem. This is a problem with the block. The 6950XT is identical to the 6900XT MBA card reference. As such because I am not putting the card into said slot and into a riser? I think it will be absolutely fine.

Always a huge relief when nothing goes crack and it boots :D

DPD are coming within the next two hours with the OCUK order. So I got up at 7 and have been doing the housework and washing.

Tell you what though cleaning off that graphite pad was a nightmare.

Stuff has arriveth.

Before I get into that though I worked out why the GPU was sagging. The screws that go through each port through the IO plate were hitting the plastic block and making it twist. Did some measuring, and it seems the screws are 5mm long. I need 3mm. M2, like.

4hTTghw.jpg

Will be here soon.

OK. So at first I did not have long enough screws for the bracket. Amazingly I found some. This would have been annoying, as they are not M3 and thus harder to locate. Any way, I also fitted together those Lian Li end caps.

QfDF6St.jpg

Now weirdly I thought they were for my one Unifan. IE, they clipped on and had edge connectors. They don't. Gawd knows what fans they are for, but check this out.

HRbQlyF.jpg

So all I need is this.

coOnx97.jpg

They literally slot straight into my fans. Splitty 9.

3FF7ZLQ.jpg

And the story so far...

kr1ixwB.jpg

However. I have one tiny issue. The way they are designed the openings for the fittings are tiny, so that you can use those flush caps. So, I need to grind out the inlet and oulet to allow more flow.

v0bCRX9.jpg

I will cover that when I do it. I also bought these.

F4EcMWB.jpg

Because you can never have enough .8mm bits.

However. I have one tiny issue. The way they are designed the openings for the fittings are tiny, so that you can use those flush caps. So, I need to grind out the inlet and oulet to allow more flow.

I may be missing something... but are these not G1/4 ports? - So would milling them out not just make them leak?

OK so as you can see here the covers are flush. They also appear to be too small. They don't screw in.

6yxvYP7.jpg

So how do they stay in?. Well, there is a locating slot in the hole. This piece here locks into it.

3Wx8rxO.jpg

When you tighten it it squashes the O ring (it is two piece). That then seals the hole. Genius right? sort of.....

xcdYtsC.jpg

So as you can see it restricts flow a bit. Now if you are using a single one as a flow meter? it works fine. However, as a cascade? pretty awful :D
I just need to "port" it. And only where the water line comes in, and goes out, and where there are straight rotaries. I am not milling it. I will stick one of those die grinders in the dremel and open them up. Kinda like port polishing an engine. I won't go near the threads...

Any way, I also did a thing.

UsTsVJy.jpg

M2 x 3MM sorted that. The 5mm ones were hitting the plastic block inside and pushing it skew whiff.

Ah ok! I had a look at the product page and noticed the o-rings, but then had just assumed it was a lip at the bottom for an o-ring to sit on, which wouldn't have been that much more restrictive (if at all, from the internal diameter of a fitting!)..... the way they actually are seems completely overengineered :D

Last edited:
Think like they do. Dare I say it, like a genius.

Without the offset hole to lock them into what will happen? It will twist and won’t tighten. So the idea itself is genius but the practical side not so much.

See, on the large hex res which I will also be using it uses almost the same thing. However on that it is just open G1/4 holes. So how does it work?

Well, instead of using the small offset locators the hex res has an Allen key hole each end. You take the face off of the res and you put an Allen inside, then one in the outer hole and tighten.

You can also link those large hex reservoirs too. With a link locking tube.

And this is why I love Bitspower. The Rolls Royce of cooling. Who also own all of their own CNC machines unlike nearly every other company on the market.

Back
Top Bottom