Long time no see. Upgrade time.

I've got wood !

bhSCrne.jpg

I've also got forged carbon.

OV0ixPF.png

It's veneer.

I've been looking at atomic structures lately. Like, for example CBD. Realised it is all hex shaped like my res etc.

I don't want to change the case. Like, structurally, specifically to this build. So what I was thinking was do some hex pattern shapes out of acrylic, carve into them and insert carbon and or wood, and then put those on the outside of the case. All removable of course, held on by VHB.

The wood will not look like that. I have a silver base coat I would paint it with, providing it doesn't bleed and go nasty. I tried to get bog oak which is dark and silvery, but couldn't find any.

BTW the carbon sheet is like, real. It's not vinyl. So that will be machined too, though I will need to literally wait for a dry day and set up outside. It's not pleasant stuff to cut and machine apparently.

Might be a good job you couldn't get bog oak. I believe it can be very hard and you might have found the CNC bounced off it enough to give horribly wobbly cuts. My neighbour (more geared up for wood) tried to run some of my Mopane through his planer thicknesser for me. The blades just bounced about and rippled the surface. Stuck it in the mill and treated it like aluminium and it went great!

All removable of course, held on by VHB.
I thought if it was removable, you'd applied the VHB wrong!

bmd4nw4.png

Something like that, alternating between materials. So wood and carbon. That would be cut from IDK, 5mm acrylic and then CNCed out on the white areas for the cut carbon and wood to be placed in. And then mounted on the front panels of the case. So one each side, at opposing heights.

g9kTC7V.png

I reckon that will look amazing tbf. Good thing is the long job (carving and cutting the acrylic, pockets etc. Can all be done inside. The actual cutting of the carbon and wood will be super fast, because they are very thin. I will do both outside. I really don't want splinters all over the room :D

Cool. So that gives me plenty to do when I return from holiday.

Also. I like those doggy bones in the middle :D

Last edited:
After spending an hour yesterday packing everything I got it home earlier. I was dying to do this.

1miezBk.jpg

It worked !

OK. So what didn't work. Well, firstly the pump top I have is so big it could not be screwed into the mount I bought. I realised I had to flip it upside down. Which at first I was very annoyed about. However, I soon realised that the TEC pump mount had two smaller holes in it. And, well, you couldn't make it up.......

22TlETr.jpg

So with that success being enough for one day I then mounted it solid (the pump and res and cascade) and put the shroud on for a nosey.

hQqsuDB.jpg

Like the computer equivalent of the hand covering aka glove...

3e4f1oY.jpg

Salted.

I apologize for the sun actually wanting to come out ffs.

4Z3SCJx.jpg

The fan side LEDs are now mounted. I am also working on a light bar I robbed from a cheap riser mount I bought. The white thing placed near the vertical mount. I will mount that properly later.

Also as you may have noticed....

k5qxc0a.jpg

It wasn't in my server after all ffs. It was in a decommissioned rig at mum's waiting to be emptied out and chucked away.

Also. This has been one of the best things I ever bought tbh. A small rig I can take anywhere, but more importantly acts as a stand in when I have mine in bits.

IBgxqVm.jpg

Last edited:
One last (he said, hopefully) order from OCUK. This will be my floor fan now. Not only does it have the screen on, but it is reverse flow. So you get the pretty side. Was B grade, 25 quid.

oAe5CSK.jpg

I also need a straight rotary for the res to the cascade. It's currently loose on set fittings.

UoLy2P3.png

Sadly all the Barrow ones were sold out :(

OK so I made room.

Before that though I tested the fans and RGB. I also finally managed to get the neons straight, among tons of other small jobs.

GxKY6XB.jpg

Like I said, I then made room for the T ball thing. Ignore it for now, you won't see it next time I am back at the CNC. I also realised that due to the end port rad I could hide nearly all of the hose. One will route through the PSU shroud, and go in behind the GPU. All you will see at normal level is the return hose where it comes out of the end of the GPU and goes into the pump.

PH0PEv2.jpg

Both of the two hoses you see there will go into the back of the GPU block.

Also as you can see I will not be fitting RGB to the cascade or res. There is just no point.

Oh and thanks to the hoses on the TEC I could not fit the memory cooler. However, it went right into the back of the PC where you can't normally fit fans there. So it is ideal for getting heat out, and looks awesome :)

Last edited:
Mornoon all.

No pics just yet.

I realised last night that not only was the fan I ordered 140mm but it also does not have the controller. Thankfully it will fit and will look better imo. However, I had to bite the bullet on the controller which was £22.

This stung a bit but tbh will save me work and money in the long run. See, I have a 3” OLED I got for about £30 ages ago but unfortunately needs AIDA and the hacked version they provide doesn’t work properly and the genuine one doesn’t work at all.

So this will give me said screen without a huge ball ache. I just want to say thank you to OCUK for still giving me free shipping after all these years. It’s a godsend, and always one less nut kick when you forget something. I’d never ask for a sponsor but it’s the next best thing.

I’ve now finished all of the RGB stuff. Even the GPU support has it now.

The only other remaining issue I can see is said Lian Li fan hub.

My PSU offers three PCIE power connectors and it wants one. Sadly it can’t have it, because my GPU uses two and the TEC pump uses the last one. This is apparently because some people linked something daft like 12 fans and they weren’t getting enough power. I only have one. So, I’m going to have to make a dual molex to 6 pin as I don’t have a choice. At least with just one fan I shouldn’t overload it.

DPD here in the next two hours, see you a bit after that!

Morning all.

Yesterday I had a marathon sesh. 10 hours.

I will cut out a lot of the small jobs that took all of the thought and time. Here is the rig with a filter in the floor (and on the PSU, you can't see that one) and tons of work done. Note how the hoses are routed through the shroud. This is so virtually nothing will be visible when I am done.

EfEvdl3.jpg

OK so more done here. Notably I found a ton of the clips for the neons. So I completely redesigned the bottom one.

yfJP4vs.jpg

Also note the 140mm LCD fan is now in. Well, for the time being. It is out again now as I am waiting on the controller. I then spent hours making all of the RGB work. This was not a small task. Final RGB test before I fill it. The reason being some of it is behind the GPU and yeah.. Once that thing is full I can't get it out easy.

Ysvo03q.jpg

Also note yes, it is very bright. However, look at the GPU block. The side panels have dark tinted glass (black) and it dulls it down perfectly.

OK, fill.

GftvXj3.jpg

And then spend the next three hours testing.

HHCajtK.jpg

DPD are coming today with the fan controller, so by this evening it should be all done and back on the desk. That will be the interior finished. Will do the exterior when I come back from holiday.

very nice build, for a long time I have been planning to do water-cool my lian li PC08, few years ago I bought most of the parts but just gave up after several thing popped up. I am waiting for 5090 and ASUS 1600 Thor III PSU to release to commence my build. Long story short I was planning a water reservoir made with Bitspower hexagon chained together similar to what you have done, Unfortunately I don't have much space to work with as PC 08 is old case but still looks amazing. Great looking build.

I assume you imported the Bitspower reservoirs from ASIA? One Issue I was always worried about is that filling and draining them might be difficult as someone with something similar reported as such. Would be interested to hear how you get along with them.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have much space to work with as PC 08 is old case

Then you're just starting with a challenge... which is often the starting point. You should get a 240 and a 360 according to spec. Anything more and you need to think outside the box.... probably quite literally. I've got a side-mounted Mo-Ra and there have been builds with a completely external Mo-Ra with quick disconnects. I've also tun a 360 mounted on the top on stand-offs quite successfully. There's always a way :D

very nice build, for a long time I have been planning to do water-cool my lian li PC08, few years ago I bought most of the parts but just gave up after several thing popped up. I am waiting for 5090 and ASUS 1600 Thor III PSU to release to commence my build. Long story short I was planning a water reservoir made with Bitspower hexagon chained together similar to what you have done, Unfortunately I don't have much space to work with as PC 08 is old case but still looks amazing. Great looking build.

I assume you imported the Bitspower reservoirs from ASIA? One Issue I was always worried about is that filling and draining them might be difficult as someone with something similar reported as such. Would be interested to hear how you get along with them.

No mate. I got my original flow meter (the small ones) from OCUK years ago. I bought the other three from OCUK also.

The larger actual tank came from that auction site, cheap.

I never drain by the tank. I pull a GPU hose and put it in a bottle. I then pull the other and blow. Just put a towel down under where you’re working. That’s also why I refuse to go with hard tubing.

OK so again another morning update. That LCD fan is a massive pain in the erse.

I thought it powered by SATA. I was wrong. I’ve used all of my PCIE power connectors and had no means of powering it up. Without getting to the PSU and plugging in a Molex run I could then make adapters for.

Problem is the GPU. Which is now like, in there. And it ain’t coming out without draining the loop.

I had to hang it from the hoses (don’t do this) and rip my hands to ribbons to connect the molex connector into the PSU. It was a grade A nightmare.

It’s done, though. I’ve also made the adapter (more on that later) and had to also order an internal to external USB cable. Like I said, nightmare.

The ONLY saving grace was that my board has a internal external USB socket on its own controller for flashback, but it does take all USB devices.

These fans ain’t worth the grief IMO. Still, we press on.

OK so here goes around 12 hours in work. Firstly I had no option as I mentioned to get back into the PSU. It was horrible, and I cut my right hand to ribbons. Any way, I salvaged some molex pins (male) and soldered them on like so. Not my proudest fap, but it will work.

86SVOBN.jpg

I then did all I could to hide it. All I had at my disposal was heat shrink. I left a bit poking out on the yellow, because I need to know where they are. Eventually I put electrical tape over the pins on the positive, and heat shrunk the negs.

EKMeCTH.jpg

It was then over to the three molex connectors. These were VHB together, then wrapped in tape.

sMBTFJm.jpg

POxd8Eq.jpg

anPV2GD.jpg

And pinned.

GdYwsqe.jpg

Noting how my right hand looks like it has been through the cheese grater. It feels like it too ffs.

It was then all wrapped and bound in tape. To the point where it becomes almost invisible. BTW, check out the sheer hell load of RGB connectors.

KuQgfhg.jpg

So now with some power shoved up its bum.....

2CxA9mc.jpg

It works. No RGB yet, as I need to get to the USB connector to activate it. Waiting on that to be delivered.

So you will note in this pic the fan is now level and at the correct height front and rear.

EtjihzV.jpg

Now it won't just sit there on its own. This is why I never got the rig "finished" the first time around. I was due to put a 120mm fan there, but it needed something to keep it level. Turns out I am amazing at thinking on my feet, and came up with this solution.

gNnAbr1.jpg

Block nuts. And springs. This means I could adjust it to the perfect height to hold the back up. Front sits on a rail.

So, with all that done..... I decided to do something else. Did you spot those two Corsair shrouds in the early pics? these?

Q9e8xhH.jpg

Those live there now.

7aW0Bdl.jpg

It needed some silver up there. It was all lob sided. So with that done....

poZFUT4.jpg

We are actually caught up.

Last edited:

Four of those with your choice of rotary.

Back
Top Bottom