Looking foward to picking up my canon incl lense for £1100

Caporegime
1k for the body is still cheap but makes it more realistic than 1k with the L lens included.

Even 1K though is probably below the proft margin for Canon and certainly less than the cost retailors will pay.

Some small chance it is a refurbished model, demo, or a prototype/tester.
Even if you bulk buyed 10,000 of the cameras from Canon I doubt the unit price would be anywhere close to 1K.

Associate
OP
Even 1K though is probably below the proft margin for Canon and certainly less than the cost retailors will pay.

Some small chance it is a refurbished model, demo, or a prototype/tester.
Even if you bulk buyed 10,000 of the cameras from Canon I doubt the unit price would be anywhere close to 1K.

Hi dude, its brand new.. originally my mate ordered the wrong lens only compatible with another canon range which he quoted me £1200.00 for but as the price for MII Lens is more expensive I am getting it for £400, £1400 in total with a few other goodies, post pics tomoz ..

Caporegime
The exact lens I am getting is EF 24-105mm L IS USM..

Which is a Kit lens for the 5D2.

You stated that you are buying the 5D2 with a Kit lens for £1,100, which you got confused the 17-85 with the 24-105 L. That bit is fine, but what is confusing is why the lens come separately. That only can happen if you are not getting the Kit. Which brings me to a series of questions.

So you are getting the 5D2 body only for £1,100
and a 24-105 for £300.

Am I correct?

If that is correct then your friend/supplier is telling porkies when he said you are getting a "kit lens" ? As it wasn't going to be a kit at all in the first place it seems.

Anyway....if you can get a individual lens cheap, instead of the 24-105, I'd get the 24-70.

Soldato
Its not at all possible to get the 5D sub £1900 (and dont go finding prices a tad cheaper.)

If you really are getting one for that price then its knocked off.
Trade price will be lower than that, although I'd doubt it's as low as 1000 notes, so if he's got an insider then it is possible.

Soldato
If he gets them that cheap why not a 400 f/2.8 or a 600 f/4?

he's already got the 1200 f/1.2 so why bother? ;)

Interesting that you can get the 24-105 for £400 though (or there abouts), makes me wonder why all these camera shops are still competing at the £800 mark. If I were you, i'd be starting up a business. If you can get stuff that cheap, i'd quite happily help you setup a web shop, with a 50% margin we should be able to do quite well.

Soldato
Seems like a lot of money to pay for a camera.
Does it make tea?

What does it have that a standard DSLR does not have?
Seems to me that the price determines how "good" the camera is.

Buying a Ferrari does not make you a better driver.

Soldato
Picking up my new camera from my colleague tommorow with a few other goodies, but you where right about the first lens, I alerted him at first instance and he has ordered me the correct lens for the Camera which I should have by tuesday, however I will have the body first thing from 7am tommorow and will upload some pics when I get a chance tommorow..

so you'll just handed over a grand to a 'colleague' at 7am in the morning. Well that doesn't sound dodgy at all.

Edit.

Beginning to think more that he's not getting it from someone who works for canon either cos he wouldn't have made the mistake about the lens fittings.

Last edited:
Associate
A friend is working for Samsung, and they get any of the electronics for 40% of RRP.

But it does seem dodgy to hand over money at 7am :p Why not just a simple bank transfer?

Back
Top Bottom