• Yes V6 FE Manual - 5k paid

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yes V6 FE Auto - 5k paid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes i4 DCT FE - 2k paid

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Still thinking about and NO deposit paid

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • 2k Deposit paid but making no decisions yet, holding out.

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
OcUK Staff
Not bad for a car in this class, I don't think.
But I never understand why anyone is interested in dry weights. Surely the only reason most people talk about the weight of a car is to judge it's performance and how well a car drives? A car with no engine oil, coolant or hydraulic fluid wont be driving at all (or at least, not for long enough for it to matter). I'm sure I remember reading that some manufacturers quote dry weights quite often.

True, a cars published weight should be the weight of the car ready to drive and two weights should be published (lightest) and fully loaded (all options). But weight with driver, luggage, does not interest me I just want to know the cars ready to drive weight and what the lightest options are, no point in buying a car, then ticking all the boxes if it adds a further 100kg, which to this kind of car is a no no, though I doubt in this particular car the options probably don't change the weight much. On a Porsche however options can make quite a difference, on some models as much as 100kg.

Soldato
Its the same with 0-60 times. Some manufacturers do a rolling start, so not really a 0-60 time yet they can claim it is :\

VW figures etc :D

Associate
True, a cars published weight should be the weight of the car ready to drive and two weights should be published (lightest) and fully loaded (all options). But weight with driver, luggage, does not interest me I just want to know the cars ready to drive weight and what the lightest options are, no point in buying a car, then ticking all the boxes if it adds a further 100kg, which to this kind of car is a no no, though I doubt in this particular car the options probably don't change the weight much. On a Porsche however options can make quite a difference, on some models as much as 100kg.

I put some money down at Goodwood and on Friday got an email inviting me to a showroom...so I'm off there on 9th October (Cribbs is my nearest one) to see what the crack is.

I was fully expecting £85k+ for a V6 FE. I like the 4 pot but no manual and it's surely a car that requires manual.

Like you, I'm stuck on colour. Blue was at Goodwood and looked awesome but I also really like the green...

Soldato
Got the call this morning to discuss and be sent the personal configuration link and to pay the further 3k. Now all paid up, so that's my order fully secured. vs the GT4 I was going to go for, this is a fair bit cheaper and it should arrive in May 2022, not early 2023 like the GT4 according to Porsche.

It won't be as fast as my M4 but it's so awesome looking, and a manual V6 supercharged lotus is going to be damn fun to drive / track. IMO this car isn't about 0-60 times, it's about engagement, looks, feel etc. Just my 2p, either way my countdown is on and should be a good stablemate with the M4.

Manual, Hethel yellow, sports chassis, yellow calipers, ICE grey leather, silver forged alloys - decided against the black pack as £1200 seems a lot for a painted roof, A pillars, wing mirrors and rear badge, I'd rather have them wrapped, and keep the mirrors yellow, cheaper and reversible.

OcUK Staff
Out of interest, what's the difference between the auto boxes on each model as I presume the 2.0 model will be superior?

V6 is the current automatic Lotus are using in current cars like Evora, so I believe its an older school 6 speed unit that is not particular fast like say a dual clutch, but I know they have improved it with software updates, but if course modern DCT/PDK are far superior and as such means the transmission is somewhat aged, hence why most going V6 route will no doubt go manual.

The i4 Turbo from AMG is also the Mercedes/AMG dual clutch unit I believe so a much quick and more precise transmission that is more competitive with the likes of PDK etc and this is the only transmission of choice in the i4 cars.

In Short V6 you can pick manual or an old automatic.
i4 you have no choice but you get a modern dual clutch transmission.

Last edited:
Soldato
V6 is the current automatic Lotus are using in current cars like Evora, so I believe its an older school 6 speed unit that is not particular fast like say a dual clutch, but I know they have improved it with software updates, but if course modern DCT/PDK are far superior and as such means the transmission is somewhat aged, hence why most going V6 route will no doubt go manual.

The i4 Turbo from AMG is also the Mercedes/AMG dual clutch unit I believe so a much quick and more precise transmission that is more competitive with the likes of PDK etc and this is the only transmission of choice in the i4 cars.

In Short V6 you can pick manual or an old automatice.
i4 you have no choice but you get a modern dual clutch transmission.

Thought it would be along those lines. I'm sure the manual will be very good regardless.

Man of Honour
Thoughts on depreciation?

I think if to road tests properly good this will impact residuals as it well if it road tests badly.

So 15K either way?

OcUK Staff
Thought it would be along those lines. I'm sure the manual will be very good regardless.

Manual should be spot on and will never age, the auto in the V6 is already an old unit so from day one it will pretty much be disregarded, a little like tiptronic in older Porsches, compared to modern automatics the tiptronic essentially ruins the car as it dramatically ages it, whereas an old 997 Manual is still extremely sought after because a manual is timeless whereas an automatic is something that is always improving.

V6 manual is way forward. Also the First Edition cars for the 76k are fully loaded and include the KEF audio system and all the packages. I suspect and others suspect when you can buy a base car in 2023 onwards whether it be a V6 or i4 they will cost more to get to the same specification as the First Editions but of course there will be more options and of course some people might prefer lesser spec versions due to weight savings, like of course the KEF audio system in the FE cars no doubt adds quite a bit of weight been 10 speaker system etc.

OcUK Staff
Thoughts on depreciation?

I think if to road tests properly good this will impact residuals as it well if it road tests badly.

So 15K either way?

Anyones guess really, people thought the GR Yaris would depreciate hard, yet they are going up in value and thats whilst still in production, if the plug gets pulled to switch over to Corolla then values will increase further. Of course if they keep smashing them out, new faster version comes then yep the price will drop.

The Lotus, most people nowadays are vain and Lotus just delivered what most people want, supercar looks and sound (V6) for sports car level pricing (76k), if Lotus get the finance packages right the demand for the car will be crazy unreal and as such I suspect in the First Edition cars will hold their value for at least 18-24 months. More so if say in 2024 Lotus announce the V6 is no more, which in turn then would see the V6 manual cars have a solid move up in value, no doubt a solid 15k upwards.

If however they keep knocking them out, demand drops because of poor finance packages or poor build quality then values will drop.

One thing is for sure, who on earth is buying a new Evora or a lightly used one now at 80k plus? Be complete fool to do so as the Emira is just a vastly better car in every department, but the final edition Elise and Exiges I can see been worth big money in years to come, but the Evora that is now a write off.

I can see some purist though maybe wanting to hold out for a base V6 car and spec it themselves, as some of the options many people won't want in a weekend car as will just see them as additional weight and they will want to keep to the original Lotus plan of keeping weight down, plus base car will have more colour options, I really want the orange to be honest.

Soldato
I doubt the Elise and Exige will ever really be replaced. Especially not being electric, they would never even get them under a ton. The S1/S2 Exige never had a true replacement and their values are going up fast now.

But yea the people who bought a new Evora recently, oops. Though I can't see the car being all that much different to drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
I suspect that Lotus may end up looking a little ambitious with their delivery dates, and that many buyers will be waiting longer than they expect. This feels like an uplift in production rates for Lotus, and I dont know how well they understand their supply chain (chip shortage) at this level. Even the likes of Morgan are experiencing some delays.

Soldato
"Even"? Morgan were famous for multi-year wait times in recent times. Their six-twelve month wait is a significant improvement on how things were.

That's not really relevant - the point is that they are not producing cars as quickly as they would like due to the chip shortage. The same may apply to Lotus; that's my point.

OcUK Staff
Not long off the phone with Lotus, they confirmed following to me:

- UK largest demand worldwide so far, with around 3500 deposits here and USA expected to be catching up soon.
- I am in the first production batch so should have a car April/May next year :)

He did not confirm as such but he hinted that a launch edition V6 works out cheaper than a base V6 with all same options added as the launch edition includes all the packs and KEF 10 speaker audio.

He confirmed the DIN weight for the V6 launch edition manual at 1458kg and joked that the ten speakers adds some weight. ;)

He said they don’t have concrete figures yet but road tax, delivery and plates will add a further £2200-£2800 additional to the price.

He also said the demand is way beyond expectations and that the Hethel facility was originally primed to build around 550 cars per year but now they are going to expand on that with the new facility here in U.K. and he confirmed all Emiras will be built in the U.K. and the Chinese facility will be more regular Lotus cars due in the future.

He has arranged an one on one meeting and will personally show me the car in detail and bring metal painted samples of the green and wants to keep in touch when I’ve taken delivery for feedback.

Also again confirmed it’s an Evora chassis but heavily modified with a front wider track for improved front end and a totally rebuilt rear end, V6 cars also have a mechanical LSD, gearing ratios for the manual remain same as Evora.

On suspension he said the sports option might be a tad firm at low speeds for some particular on cup tyres but you can option Goodyear tyre on sports suspension. He said however the sports suspension setup still rides better than a modern German competitor on run flats so for many it won’t be considered firm. Touring and sports are same ride height and touring will be incredible setup for B roads.

He confirmed base car options in 2023 will include more colours but FE cars are priced aggressively, whereas base cars with options added will cost more.

I did not ask about V6 lifespan or finance options but it’s stuff I can ask when finalising my spec when I meet him at the Lotus event.

In short great to discuss a car with someone who has driven it and had a role in engineering side etc and really knows their stuff.

So final on road price with all options will be 79-80k !

Caporegime
Thanks for the info, @Gibbo. If I can figure out a way to make buying one of these work, I will. Doesn't seem likely, but having grown up driving past the sign to the Lotus factory everyday, these cars have that little bit of extra special desire for me.

OcUK Staff
Thanks for the info, @Gibbo. If I can figure out a way to make buying one of these work, I will. Doesn't seem likely, but having grown up driving past the sign to the Lotus factory everyday, these cars have that little bit of extra special desire for me.

Well even if half the deposits cancel their orders at this rate they are going to spending next 2-3 years fulfilling the deposit orders so best be quick otherwise I can foresee a lot of people flipping for profits.

I am buying to drive and enjoy just like I’ve done with GR Yaris. I’ll only sell if I don’t gel with it or the Spyder is a better drive which out of my collection will be very close driving dynamics I suspect, both mid engine, about 150-200kg between them in Porsche favour and the Lotus has close to 100HP more and more torque. Both manuals and hydraulic steering.

Can’t wait to see one in flesh and hopefully hear it. :)

Back
Top Bottom