M4 SSD 5200 hour timebomb

Soldato
Just ordered an m4 as well :p

Oh well im sure it will last a while at least i hope, what is the warranty on these anyhow? Is it actually possible to create an image of an SSD and restore it to a mechnical drive? If my drive does die i dont really want the hassle of having to install a new OS on a mechnical drive.

I take it you could take an SSD image then restore it once you recieved a replacement SSD?

Yes, Windows System Image.

Cool thanks for that mate, so as long as i can still create an image of an SSD with say macrium reflect and restore onto another SSD im happy :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You don't need to use Macrium, you can use Windows built in System image creator, it creates a VHD image which can be mounted (then browsed as a virtual drive) or archived as a backup or restored to a new HDD as if you were cloning the drive (an exact image). Because it's a VHD it opens up a lot more options for integrity.

An SSD Windows System Image of my Win7 install (about 70GB) takes about 20mins and is done within Windows too :)

Associate
Had this problem on mine since just before xmas. Had finally got around to posting it back with an RMA to crucial yesterday and woke up this morning to see a firmware fix is coming in a couple of weeks >< Just my luck !

Swapped the M4 out for a 120gb Corsair and the M4 is gonna go in my laptop once i recieve my replacement.

Soldato
You don't need to use Macrium, you can use Windows built in System image creator, it creates a VHD image which can be mounted (then browsed as a virtual drive) or archived as a backup or restored to a new HDD as if you were cloning the drive (an exact image). Because it's a VHD it opens up a lot more options for integrity.

An SSD Windows System Image of my Win7 install (about 70GB) takes about 20mins and is done within Windows too :)

Oh wow i never knew that, i just disabled windows image utility on my current setup and used Macrium, i will use the winodws utility this time for sure then, thanks for that :)

Soldato
Crucial release a firmware update that increases speed big time but destroys life span of cells at the same time. Makes you think why so many peeps have the Vertex 2E on this forum??

More FUD since no evidents its related to the latest firmware infact even older firmware on the M4s have had the issue if you check their forums,as to OCZ well we all know how reliable their SSDs are right?...at least with Crucial you know the issue will be fixed fast.

I still buy Crucial over OCZ.

Soldato
damn looks like they may not need to use my fixed product page update:

failm.png

Soldato
Not going to create another thread but how do I check usage/lifespan/speed test of my ssd? I used to do it in the past but haven't changed anything with my ssd for over a year now.

Any recommended tools?

Back
Top Bottom