Mafia 2 demo!

Associate
Might just go get it, only thing is i bet the graphics are kinda poo as it was produced in 2002 lol things have got a little better since then

I recently installed it just for nostalgia reasons with some of the mods that improves it visually ( I didn't play it for more than 30mins though). As to how much it improves it, I don't know as I don't remember how the original looked like. My pc couldn't cope with certain parts of the game which I think was due to the draw distance mod. In short it's definitely still playable and recommended.

Associate
Didn't like the look of this game from the trailers but really loved the demo.

Might have to pick this game up, just hope it has a good story behind the game play.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I CTD as soon as I click "Start Game" within the game menu system. Any ideas?

I'm using the latest stable NVIDIA drivers.

Soldato
Sequel to my best ever, highest ranked PC title of all time? YES PLEZ!

Ran superbly on my 3.7ghz oc'd E6600 dual core with a ATI 4870. The environment feels good too. My only two quirks are weird interpolated like mouse movement in the menus, and the ingame camera feels too 'loose'.

Loved the demo though. Liked the garage feature a lot!

Associate
Well, there were a lot of games which were going to be competing with each other for my number one game this year but after playing this demo I don't think I even need to try the other games at all.

Loved the first game. The attention to detail in this demo I've found is great. Love the look and feel of it, the music just adds to it even more so than the radio stations in the GTA series have done in my opinion, just like the music did in the original Mafia.

Runs great on my PC, as far as I know everything's max, AA is on AF is on 16x with the screen resolution set to 1680x1050 on my E8400 (stock)/HD5850 (stock)/4GB RAM spec computer. Just no PhysX.

Glad I pre-ordered it.

Soldato
ignore my earlier comments about stuttering with a 8800gts

put my oc on the card down a shade and its fine at 1600x1200 :) all is well

Associate
That was a lovely surprise! A full screen of topless lady complete with uncensored boobs. I've got to buy the game to get all 50! Beats collecting feathers, I tell you! :D

:D Agreed.

Well, just played the demo about 6 times, I hope a couple of things are better in the main game, in the first cops would chase & fine you for speeding & going through red lights, I really hope they keep these important elements that make it a believable place, other than that I love it, the fisticuffs is brill the shooting is brill, the driving is brill, lots happening, looks even more awesome once you enable AA.

I was even able to crank everything on full whack settings including physx on high which surprised me with me being on a 5870 but fps plummet good style to 15fps avg but the extra effects look great, was able to get 25fps avg on medium physx & no AA, without the physx cloth is stiff & explosions are much less dramatic, I have a spare 9800 GTX but it needs a new heatsink & I'm considering installing it with 191.07 geforce drivers & PhysX-mod-1.04ff.

Anyone here using a good gpu & an nvidia card for dedicated physx tell of the experience?

Soldato
poor >
4880256448_d5e2c727e6_z.jpg

about to install new physics drivers

Hi Folks,

Some of you may know about this fix, but I was really upset at the frame rates until I realized what the problem was.

This is for you Nvidia folks that may be wondering why the game is running slow.

I downloaded the steam demo, and part of the installer installed the newest version of Physx, problem is that is installed in in CPU mode, so the game was not using the GPU to render the physics (overloading the CPU and causing low frame rates).

The simple fix for you NVIDA Steam demo folks that may be in the same boat is to uninstall your physx and reinstall Physx manually from your Mafia II steamapps folder under the 3rd folder

In my case it was here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mafia ii - public demo\3rd

Now the game runs rock solid 60 FPS and now the game is amazing. Cars are easier to drive, and the Shooting is easier to target (along with amazing visuals)

Good luck, if this helps one person my work is done

Done. Still not impressed. Anyone else got a single 480gtx? i do have a spare 260gtx collecting dust atm but need a new psu to power that along with my 480gtx. tempted to do a razor and buy another 480gtx >

4880285176_c31d13eb26_z.jpg

Soldato
I haven't used Steam for years, since my days playing Day of Defeat. It's not been on my system for ages.

I installed Steam today in order to play this demo. Think that speaks volumes about how much I was looking forward to this game and how desperate I was to play it. :D

What's the radio music like people?

It's excellent. Really cool part of the game.

Soldato
Ran and looks great ony my comp at 1920x1080 with 16af+aa - Get an average of about 48fps. It really does look nice. At first I was wondering what might make the gameplay feel special, then I tried the mission and the combat is very exciting! I love popping out from behind cover and blowing someone off their feet with the shotty :D

Btw can someone link some of the reviews?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom