Malaysian GP 2009 - Race 2/17

I think its getting blown somewhat out of proportion. Suspending the sporting director is likely a head-fake towards contrition to appease some higher powers. Bit harsh on Lewis though - and some of the headlines (see James Allens website - its actually quite good, really!) for some of the more sensational offerings.

The practise sessions were good for Sepang, I'll be watching Brawn/Williams/Ferrari with interest during quali. Be nice to see a williams on the top step again, rosberg or even nakajima. Or barrichello for that matter.

All this controversy with McLaren plus the spying scandal of a couple of years ago just goes to show that they are not the whiter-than-white team many people like to make out they are.

It often seems that the Ferrari/Schumi bashers out there are sitting squarely in the McLaren seats - I guess a welcome to the dirty camp is in order!

:D

come on, you really think espionage like that isnt going on all the time!? Maclaren just got caught, that's the only difference.

---

Just heard this on twitter from James Allen:

Jamesallenonf1: Hamilton has just admitted everything, apologised for lying, said it's the worst moment of his life

come on, you really think espionage like that isnt going on all the time!? Maclaren just got caught, that's the only difference.

Actually I'm pretty sure it does go on all the time - or rather it's been an old "tradition" in the sport that information gets moved from team to team informally or when people jump ship. My company provides Information Security consultancy services to several of the F1 teams and I've been told as much, however after McLarenGate and the associated massive fine the teams are taking their Intellectual Property security much more seriously.

Losing key technological data to another engineering firm is not good, but being caught with the other firms data is now financially catastrophic.

James Allen has probably the best "insider" F1 coverage nowadays. What a legend :)

He does sort of make up for the irritating voice with some pretty good coverage on the itv-f1 webside (probably about the only thing keeping it going now), hic coverage of this current set of scandles has been the only thing the bbc hasn't been able to match (coupled with some 10 year old designing the bbc's website).

I agree hes a bit of a legend but he's helped abit by not having to present on tv anymore :)

"I went into the meeting wanting to tell the story and I was misled. I was instructed and misled by my team manager to withhold information and that’s what I did. I sincerely apologise to the stewards for wasting their time. I’m very sorry for the situation. Sorry to all my fans, who have believed in me. Who I’ve showed you I am the past three years is who I am, I’m not a liar, I’m not a dishonest person, I’m a team player and every time I’ve been informed to do something I’ve done it. This time I realise it’s a huge mistake and I’m learning from it. It’s taken a huge toll on me.

“This is the worst thing I’ve experienced in my life and that’s why I’m here, because it’s right for me as a human being and as a man to stand up here in front of you all and tel you exactly what went on and say how sorry I am. I’m sorry to the team, to my family for the embarrassment.

I’m sure that the FIA will act accordingly and in the right way.”

He also said that Trulli had driven a great race and that “it wasn’t my intention to get him a penalty.”

No one will believe a word he says from now on. OI.

No one will believe a word he says from now on.

Totally agree with you. He cheated and got caught. Simples.

At the very least he will no longer be given the benefit of the doubt in any future issues that come up, I'll be interested to see if the FIA take any further action now.

Such a pity too because he drove a stonking race to get from 18th to 4th, but seems he got greedy and just couldn't be satisfied with the brilliant effort he had already put in - has becoming the world champion so easily gone to his head?

Yes he lied but lets get some proportion here, it wasnt a big lie, it was a white lie. Everyone does it from time to time. He admitted it, now people/the press should move on. Think of the outrageous lies Schumacher has told in his time - this is nothing!

Yes he lied but lets get some proportion here, it wasnt a big lie, it was a white lie. Everyone does it from time to time. He admitted it, now people/the press should move on. Think of the outrageous lies Schumacher has told in his time - this is nothing!

I can't agree with you - the lie may have been small but the consequences were enough to cause another driver/team to get a penalty and McLaren to make a gain from it. This is CHEATING and must not be tolerated - this is just as bad as some of the antics Schumie has got up to in the past and must be dealt with accordingly.

Cheating is not a white lie. Cheating to gain an advantage is not a white lie. He's no better than dwain chambers. Being advised to lie is worse in my opinion than if he'd just lied in a quick exchange with a steward. This was obviously broken down and calculated within macca. That's not a white lie imo.

Anyway, Ferrari comeback this weekend. Brawn holding off? In the last race Brundell said Kimi was in contention before he threw it off the track. Would he have got near Button if he stayed on the track?

Ferrari really a threat?

A lie is a lie, so whatever extra punishment he gets it's all justified imo.

Anyways I totally forgot about this thread this morning :o

Looks like Brawn are holding off as they were almost a second ahead of them in Australia, besides with KERS and the longer straight to the first corner, Ferrari will have it good.

I can't agree with you - the lie may have been small but the consequences were enough to cause another driver/team to get a penalty and McLaren to make a gain from it. This is CHEATING and must not be tolerated - this is just as bad as some of the antics Schumie has got up to in the past and must be dealt with accordingly.

Hold on there, Hamilton passed Trulli when Trulli was off the track, correct? So Hamilton rightfully should have been in 3rd place and Trulli 4th. There was then some confusion from both drivers as to how to proceed, ie who could pass etc. Infact Trulli should not have repassed Hamilton. Now Hamilton should have been truthful and admitted he let Trulli past under orders but he didnt, I doubt he would have known that Trulli would have got such a penalty. I assume he just wanted to ensure he got 3rd (which was rightfully his). It was obviously the wrong thing to do but give the guy a break now I say, hes been punished and admitted guilt. Theres absolutely no comparing to the x2 times Schumacher physically knocked out 2 of his competitors to win championships (on top of many other incidents)

Cheating is not a white lie. Cheating to gain an advantage is not a white lie. He's no better than dwain chambers. Being advised to lie is worse in my opinion than if he'd just lied in a quick exchange with a steward. This was obviously broken down and calculated within macca. That's not a white lie imo.

Comparing him to Dwain chambers is ridiculous imo. Dwain Chambers didnt just lie he took performance enhancing drugs for Gods sake. We all lie at times in our lives, Hamilton is human, Im sure a lot of the drivers have done the same in the past. Im not justifying it, Im just trying to show a bit of perspective!

Back
Top Bottom