Malaysian GP 2009 - Race 2/17

He lied to the stewards in order to gain a benefit, rather than just telling the truth. Why do you think this is?

As you rightly said Hamilton was in 3rd and let Trulli past - this was a mistake, but guess what? Tough. It was his mistake and he should have sucked it up and lived with his error.

Instead he and the team tried to recover the position by lying to the stewards about the circumstances of Trulli overtaking him - they trying it on and succeeded in getting Trulli a penalty when in actual fact Trulli had acted in good faith, honestly believing that Hamilton had an issue and was about to drop out of the race.

Then they were found out by the stewards to have cheated - and they have got up and admitted this themselves.

He may not have pushed Trulli off the track, but a cheat is a cheat and deserved to be treated as such.

Sigh Barrichello :(

Interesting to see what Brawn does now, fuel him heavier for a longer first stint in the race or lighter to get him on Pole then 5 places deducted so it's less of a pain?

Or heavier and get pole -5 :cool:

He lied to the stewards in order to gain a benefit, rather than just telling the truth. Why do you think this is?

As you rightly said Hamilton was in 3rd and let Trulli past - this was a mistake, but guess what? Tough. It was his mistake and he should have sucked it up and lived with his error.

Instead he and the team tried to recover the position by lying to the stewards about the circumstances of Trulli overtaking him - they trying it on and succeeded in getting Trulli a penalty when in actual fact Trulli had acted in good faith, honestly believing that Hamilton had an issue and was about to drop out of the race.

Then they were found out by the stewards to have cheated - and they have got up and admitted this themselves.

He may not have pushed Trulli off the track, but a cheat is a cheat and deserved to be treated as such.

There was confusion over what to do, they let Trulli past because of lack of clarification, they didnt 'pretend to be in trouble' Hamilton let Trulli through as he was told to. If the Stewards hadnt been to busy on the radio this just wouldnt have happened. Had they been honest in all likelihood the stewards should have awarded Hamilton 3rd and Trulli 4th. They tried to hedge their bets by lying. It was a lie, it was wrong and they got their just desserts Im not arguing about that. I just find people acting a little knee jerk over something that in my eyes shouldnt be that big a deal now its been admitted, punished and apologised. Move on I say. The press are going to be utter ***** now - humans are fallible for Gods sake.

Last edited:
To err is human, to forgive is divine.

Hamilton did what he was told to do. I understand Ryan's motives, but he was a numpty and it was his fault and ultimately the cause for his own departure.

I hope this doesnt reflect on Hamilton too much. I dont mind about the haters, you can spot them a mile away, but I think to openly admit it is a brave thing to do. I wont bother to make a comparison to Schumacher because it would be derogatory to Hamilton.

Lol at the Hamilton haters in this thread. Just lol.

Time for some of you to come down from your moral high horses and put this situation into perspective. Sportsmen at the highest level will always look for the slightest advantage. Schumacher made a living from it.

He screwed up, get over it.

Comparison to Chambers? Get real.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, it does show just how under pressure McLaren are. With the car in its current state, they obviously felt that they had to get that extra point by any means necessary. And I don't for one instant believe that it was something that Dave Ryan cooked up all by himself - after all, Spygate proved that the McLaren team management can't really be relied upon to know who is doing what within the team!

***edit***

Just went back over my posts on this issue. Knowing what we know now, I can't believe I defended Hamilton when the DQ initially was announced. That's what I get for trying not to "be a hater" (as someone from here described me once or twice) I guess.

Last edited:
There was confusion over what to do, they let Trulli past because of lack of clarification, they didnt 'pretend to be in trouble' Hamilton let Trulli through as he was told to. If the Stewards hadnt been to busy on the radio this just wouldnt have happened. Had they been honest in all likelihood the stewards should have awarded Hamilton 3rd and Trulli 4th. They tried to hedge their bets by lying. It was a lie, it was wrong and they got their just desserts Im not arguing about that. I just find people acting a little knee jerk over something that in my eyes shouldnt be that big a deal now its been admitted, punished and apologised. Move on I say. The press are going to be utter ***** now - humans are fallible for Gods sake.

I see where you are coming from, I really do. But you see it as not being a big deal - however the powers that be and McLaren themselves DO recognise that it is a big deal. They wouldn't have suspended Dave Ryan otherwise.

In sport, cheating is the ultimate sin - it totally betrays the spirit of the game because if you are not prepared to play by the rules why should anyone else? At this point the sport becomes pointless.

It's for this reason that all sports have very serious penalties for cheating and unsportsmanlike behaviour - F1 included. In F1 the penalty could be as serious as be DQ'd for the year.

I don't think (or believe) that it should come to that myself. I do think that it should be taken seriously though and it would appear that McLaren and the FIA agree - as no doubt do all the other teams.

Lets hope that any further action is on the track and is positive for the sport!

I see where you are coming from, I really do. But you see it as not being a big deal - however the powers that be and McLaren themselves DO recognise that it is a big deal. They wouldn't have suspended Dave Ryan otherwise.

In sport, cheating is the ultimate sin - it totally betrays the spirit of the game because if you are not prepared to play by the rules why should anyone else? At this point the sport becomes pointless.

It's for this reason that all sports have very serious penalties for cheating and unsportsmanlike behaviour - F1 included. In F1 the penalty could be as serious as be DQ'd for the year.

I don't think (or believe) that it should come to that myself. I do think that it should be taken seriously though and it would appear that McLaren and the FIA agree - as no doubt do all the other teams.

Lets hope that any further action is on the track and is positive for the sport!

Well I agree with that wholeheartedly.
icon14.gif

Nicely put :cool:

To err is human, to forgive is divine.

Hamilton did what he was told to do. I understand Ryan's motives, but he was a numpty and it was his fault and ultimately the cause for his own departure.

I hope this doesnt reflect on Hamilton too much. I dont mind about the haters, you can spot them a mile away, but I think to openly admit it is a brave thing to do. I wont bother to make a comparison to Schumacher because it would be derogatory to Hamilton.

I voz Just obeying my orderzzz!!

Back
Top Bottom