Malaysian GP 2009 - Race 2/17

Wow Vettel had gone really really light! (yeah im catching up on the f1 after uber sleep...)

It also looks like Rubens either didnt get a perfect lap out (on that fuel load he should have been a teeny bit closer) or trulli really pulled on out!

I don't think it's possible to rank them in 'goodness'. What kind of measure is this? How much is it influenced by being in the right car at the right time? How much on employing the right manager? How much on factors nothing to do with actually driving? They are all good - they all have strengths and weaknesses. I'd say the team, the budgets, the car, the management etc etc vary so much from driver to driver it's simply impossible to rank them like this.

Exactly but still it doesn't stop people venting their spleen over a tenth or so. One of those titles Alonso won, kimi was by far the better driver in a worse car and had poor reliability.

Hamilton based on in 3rd on that list after a year or two in the best car.

Massa at 5th after years of mediocre drives until he gets in one of the best teams. He has never drove with the quality of say rosberg or vettel in a midfield car.

Kimi in 2nd yet he's not even interested anymore. His drives last year were shocking and this year so far he's hit the wall.

A great car is almost everything, you dont make as many mistakes when the car is a half second faster than the rest. MS drive most of the early 00's with so much pace in hand he rarely made many mistakes.

Button though even in poor cars rarely puts a foot wrong as well.

Looking at that *goodness* list I don't think it is really fair to judge.
Agree with a lot of the points Danny has said in particular, Hamilton kept with Alonso in identical cars, yes you can say he has always had the best car, but wasn't the Renault the best car when Alonso won his titles (I didn't really watch those seasons - so I may be wrong there :p)
Massa could be lower than the guys below, but most of them haven't really been around enough to make a fair judgement. Give it half a season and we might be able to make a better comment as the cars should then be up to speed, and we can compare how they cope with very different cars from last year and make a better comment.

Urm i think this "goodness scale" stuff might be a little bit flawed if its baed on your racing success as by that logic Bourdais is one of the best driver with his 4 champ car titles......

(yeah i dont want to actually puy him down, i think hes a pretty awesome driver, hes been hit by bad luck and a bit less team support with the red bull new guy mania stuff...)

But anyway, they all must be pretty good to drive in f1 these days (none of them are pay drivers for a start like we saw back in the 90's), oh apart from piquet, i dont see him finishing the season ;)

How about just 'cos wet races are always dramatic and changeable and nearly always throw up surprises? I'm confused by the assumption of fanboyism in these threads. Hamilton and Kubica are probably my favourites out of the current crop of drivers but I'd much rather watch a good race in which they do badly than a dull race in which they do well.

What rypt has done there is seen a McLaren signature and gone "ORROORAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHATE!"..

And poor old Rybo89 has taken a full on baiting, yet not succumbed. 1 nil to Rybo!

How many laps is Malyasia? could the people with 30~ laps of fuel be one stopping it? Will be interesting to see how fast the first 8 are and whether the 30 lappers will get amongst them at the first stop.

Button is looking like Nigel Mansell at the moment it's hard to believe the guy almost didn't have a drive this year, after years of driving underperforming cars and looking like a bit of a nobody he is now showing what he is truly capable of given a decent set of wheels.

Lots of other drivers are shining also now that the gap between cars is reduced.

How many laps is Malyasia? could the people with 30~ laps of fuel be one stopping it? Will be interesting to see how fast the first 8 are and whether the 30 lappers will get amongst them at the first stop.
1 stopping has all but been eliminated with the new tyre regulations, the softs barely last 5 laps, and the race is a damn sight longer than 35 laps.

It's unlikely they'll one stop, the race is 56 laps so I doubt the soft tyres will last anything like that long.

edit: beaten!

Back
Top Bottom