Malaysian GP 2009 - Race 2/17

Rubens looks very happy just to come in second. I suppose what Brawn will want is Jenson to take a title if it was in their grasp with him being a young driver with a career still ahead of him. Plus he has a great sponsor image. Rubens is a top guy, top driver but he's been in the sport the longest and arguably doesn't need that championship success and isn't attractive to potential sponsors. He is great for team development though.

I'd hate for it to be decdied in an office though as at that point you might as well have one car per team but I hope they let them fight it out on the circuit. I'm sure Rubens is sick of being told to bring up the rear :(

Rubens looked happy to be 2nd because a month ago he thought he was out of F1. The same would have been true had the places been reversed.

People are writing off rubens imo way way too early. Rubens will take points off Jenson in atleast a third of the races. Hamilton will have points taken off him in about 1 of 17 by HK in races thay both run well.

Rubens looks very happy just to come in second. I suppose what Brawn will want is Jenson to take a title if it was in their grasp with him being a young driver with a career still ahead of him. Plus he has a great sponsor image. Rubens is a top guy, top driver but he's been in the sport the longest and arguably doesn't need that championship success and isn't attractive to potential sponsors. He is great for team development though.

I'd hate for it to be decdied in an office though as at that point you might as well have one car per team but I hope they let them fight it out on the circuit. I'm sure Rubens is sick of being told to bring up the rear
what brawn will want is his old friend rubens who he obviously has known for a very long time to win the championship after all they were friends along time before button entered formula one.
rubens has been in F1 longer than anyone but never really was allowed a title shot when he has been in cars capable of it.

the choice is obvious jenson still has a whole career ahead of him and plenty of chances to win the championship.

i bet most of the people in formula one (not the fans but im sure a lot of longtime f1 veiwers also) would love nothing more than to see rubens finally take a championship.

fanboy vision off, they should be allowed to race each other for the whole season and give us some good races without sacraficing someone on crap pit stop statergies so the other has the better chance of winning races (assuming brawn stay competitive enough for the season anyway)

I think the main reason why Rubens looked happy on Sunday was due to the fact he started off poorly, down to tenth, made it up to seventh, had an altercation with Raikkonen and was at best looking for fifth before Rosberg peeled off and Vettel and Kubica had a run-in.

Lucky boy!

when have you ever seen rubens not looking happy anyway? i bet it would be hard and maybe impossible to find a video of him not smiling ;)

my wife has always refered to him as "smiley man"

Interesting bit over on James Allen's blog about getting parts to these flyaway races - they send someone by plane and pay the excess baggage costs of heavy, bulky flight-cases.

Excellent *rubs hands together*

I've been in KL before, because they're on the equator it's always very humid. This results in monsoon like down pours in next to no time.

Has there been any word from Bridgestone re the wet and extreme wet tyres they've sent to KL? I recall something about them considering testing the Monaco wets for longevity at faster circuits. Now with such low downforce and KL being so likely to be very wet we are likely to see some action in the corners.

Advantage Jenson, Ruebens, Kubica and maybe Alonso too - bring it on.

Has there been any word from Bridgestone re the wet and extreme wet tyres they've sent to KL? I recall something about them considering testing the Monaco wets for longevity at faster circuits. Now with such low downforce and KL being so likely to be very wet we are likely to see some action in the corners.

Advantage Jenson, Ruebens, Kubica and maybe Alonso too - bring it on.

You forgot Hamilton, Vettel and to some degree Sutil too :)

RB did have a damaged car.

Even before RB damaged his own car he was 2nd for most of the weekend (when it counted)

I don't see the season being that clear cut. They will take many points of each other during the season and Rubens is no slouch. He will want to hit back fast to make sure he stays in with a shout. My money is on Rubens going a lap or two lighter this race to try to make sure he gets pole.

Brawn is no idiot, he knows he will be fighting with 2 drivers against a team that's backing 1.

Appologies I thought you where only talking about the next race, not the whole of the season

In regards to the whole season, it is unlikely it will always go JB's way without a doubt - however I can see him getting another Pole and win under his belt in the 2nd race

I think if Rubens goes too light at the start then he will pay extra when he is still pretty heavy (when he currently doesnt get on well with a heavy car ) compared to those just approaching their first stop - and he might have to go longer in the 1st stint - so pay double penalty. I cant see how he can win given the 3 tenths gap between JB and himself in Aus

JB is better in a heavy car - so he will start reasonably heavy to maximise the advantage (with being on the front row a high possibility at the very least) its unlikely he would throw away the time advantage they currently have just on a heavy start, so worse case scenario he would keep up with RB in a heavier car and whitewash him during 1st pit stop stage

Will be very interesting to see what BMW and the seemingly just as great Newey inspired Red Bull can do

Last edited:
Even before RB damaged his own car he was 2nd for most of the weekend (when it counted)

Can't be bothered to look it up, but wasn't barrichello quicker than button in P1, P2, Q1 and Q2, being beaten only in P3 and Q3 (where admittedly it's the only one that counts, although some of the deficit can be explained by him running 1 lap longer, just not all)

Hope it's wet, would be great to see how that changes the field, Button and Barrichello are at the least competent, Vettel I'm not sure how good he is but could be good enough to beat the Brawn's in the wet, Hamilton should do well again in the wet, and maybe even a decent result for Sutil. And of course a potential new record for Massa, only 5 to beat :p

Can't be bothered to look it up, but wasn't barrichello quicker than button in P1, P2, Q1 and Q2, being beaten only in P3 and Q3 (where admittedly it's the only one that counts, although some of the deficit can be explained by him running 1 lap longer, just not all)

Q1 & Q2 Button was always a run behind (according to live qualifying anyway) so if you look at run 1 - run 1 for each driver I believe Button was always faster

Button ran longer in the end because Rubens ended up coming in early for one of the later accidents I thought?

Yep, after Hekki had ran into him and shoved him forward a bit. Though he was probably going to have some sort of accident whether Heikki hit him or not....

Fair enough ;)

Back
Top Bottom