Malaysian Grand Prix 2011, Sepang International Circuit - Race 2/19

Why then is nobody up in arms over McLaren's wing?

Because theres nothing wrong with it, just like there is nothing wrong with the Red Bull wing.

Its passed the FIA tests to be deemed legal to race. There is nothing more to it. Just because in your mind its illegal or you think it goes against the spirits of rules is totally worthless.

Pass Scrutineers tests = legal
Fail Scrutineers tests = illegal

It is that simple.

But surely that is the mere definition of what is legal and what isn't?

If the FIA test your car and tell you the car is legal, it is legal.
If the FIA test your car and tell you the car is illegal, then is illegal.

I believe, it really is as simple as that.

I think Horner said it best when he said that tests are made by the FIA, not by McLaren or anybody else. Only the FIA have any authority to declare whether or not a car is legal.

My opinion is slightly different, essentially legality can only be determined by the regulations, the tests are just there to check the regulations.

So for the RB front wing which blatantly does flex, which is against the regulations, but passes the tests the FIA choose to perform which means it's fine to race.

But that's just a technicality, frankly if you can design an aerodynamic part that flexes to give better downforce/less drag whilst at the same time passing any tests the FIA choose to implement then great, and every other team should just copy it.

Although there does seem to be a certain amount of truth in what CH was saying, it's more than just the wing flexing, it seems to be a combination of the rake, soft-ish suspension leading to body roll, flexing wing and flexing nose that allows it to both pass the tests and work so well...

On the gif (think it was a gif rather than a video?) someone made, I thought that was 'determined' to be a bit dodgy in terms of the mclaren being captured whilst going over a bump, rather than actually flexing. I'm yet to see any decent on-board video showing it on the McLaren yet that's available for the RB...

This conversation is very old though, yes it flexes/runs 'too' close to the floor, but the other teams/the media need to get over it already :p

?

So is Vettel not a top tier driver then? And what has Alonso done recently to prove he is a top tier driver at all. He cant win races without cheating and cant overtake for toffee.

Alonso just about did something last year I've never seen. Win the title in the car that was both 0.5-1 second off the pace and not the most reliable.

I'd never seen a car win the title that wasn't one fo those things.

What he did last year was simply stunning considering the car.

Vettel should have won the title in 09 and easily in 10. That Hamilton and Alonso can put him under pressure despite being over 0.5s at a disadvantage shows what they would do to him in the same car.

Or if they ever reverse the roles and by some voodoo magic actually build a dominate car again so they have a time advantage Vettel wouldn't get a look in.

He looks good because he has a car with such a pace advantage that he can get pole and pace the race.

It's not his fault he's driving such a dominate car but I think he's worth is being inflated because of it. I hope Lewis does move there, even in his first season at a new team I wouldn't expect him to have much of an issue breaking him, both on and off the track.

Passing the figures but cheating the spirit of the rules.

I see it as ingenuity more than "cheating". It is frustrating, however, when it leads to a team that is completely dominant. Even more so when it could be for many years. Still, McLaren have a lot of potential in that car, I just hope they manage to develop it in time. RBR's biggest weakness in the past has been reliability - this does seem to have been greatly improved recently.

YEp and both wings seemed to flex as much.

Debatable, it wasn't a great comparison. Even if the McLaren wing was flexing, it was nowhere near as much as the one on the RB.

Alonso just about did something last year I've never seen. Win the title in the car that was both 0.5-1 second off the pace and not the most reliable.

What he did last year was simply stunning considering the car.

Vettel should have won the title in 09 and easily in 10. That Hamilton and Alonso can put him under pressure despite being over 0.5s at a disadvantage shows what they would do to him in the same car.

Or if they ever reverse the roles and by some voodoo magic actually build a dominate car again so they have a time advantage Vettel wouldn't get a look in.

He looks good because he has a car with such a pace advantage that he can get pole and pace the race.

It's not his fault he's driving such a dominate car but I think he's worth is being inflated because of it. I hope Lewis does move there, even in his first season at a new team I wouldn't expect him to have much of an issue breaking him, both on and off the track.

Pretty much agree with this. Vettel should have easily won last year, even with the reliability problems. Hamilton and Alonso (as shown previously) can take a good, but not dominant car, and go on to win races and championships. Vettel in comparison has struggled in the past with a car that is way ahead of the field.

Last edited:
Some odd failures this morning, both Virgin and Renault almost ripping their wheels off under braking, must have come as a bit of a shock to the two drivers.

Suspension related, front up rights I believe on the Renaults. They've blamed the failures on a bad batch of materials.

Hang on...wasn't there a video posted by someone 2 weeks ago (after the last GP), which showed the McLaren's front wing also flexing?

No.

It wasn't a video but a .gif showing split frames of the McLaren going over a bump, the whole car jolts upwards but is cropped to make the wing look like it is moving. The RBR end plates droop towards the ground.

Hamilton even said in an interview after Melbourne that he is hoping that McLaren duplicate the effects of the RBR front wing asap as there is half a second from it.

It's quite plain to see the difference when viewing onboard laps.

My opinion is slightly different, essentially legality can only be determined by the regulations, the tests are just there to check the regulations.

The only issue I have is that other times things have passed tests but clearly been flouting the spirit of the rules they have been banned, even if it was because of photographic evidence after passing a static test.

Like the michelins or toyotas rear wing flex.

Forgetting rake and suspension softness they could easily take some front running shots and say that it isn't in the spirit of the regulations.

Then again why should I expect any consistency from the FIA. Simply what will happen is Red Bull will run away with this title and they will ban it because everyone gets bored.

The only issue I have is that other times things have passed tests but clearly been flouting the spirit of the rules they have been banned, even if it was because of photographic evidence after passing a static test.

Like the michelins or toyotas rear wing flex.

Forgetting rake and suspension softness they could easily take some front running shots and say that it isn't in the spirit of the regulations.

Then again why should I expect any consistency from the FIA. Simply what will happen is Red Bull will run away with this title and they will ban it because everyone gets bored.

Exactly, the FIA make it up as they go along - the reasons seem to vary; to make the sport "more exciting" seem to be the most obvious. There often seem to be other motives. The most obvious with RBR this year, would be that if the FIA deem the car illegal, it brings the whole of last season into disrepute.

But surely that is the mere definition of what is legal and what isn't?

If the FIA test your car and tell you the car is legal, it is legal.
If the FIA test your car and tell you the car is illegal, then is illegal.

I believe, it really is as simple as that.

The problem is that the rule book states that it shouldn't flex more than a tiny amount. It's quite apparent just from watching on board video that it is bending more than the rules allow. That the test can't measure the same forces as are seen on the race track shouldn't in my opinion mean that you can say the wing is legal. It passes the test which allows them to race. That's all that actually matters when it comes right down to it.

Regardless, the rest of the teams know and have known for some time that as long as you pass the test then its considered legal, even if it flies directly in the face of the written rules because it can't be proven. They've all had more than enough time to work it out so really should quit complaining.

Macca fan btw.

You still havent seen it, so what a complete load of codswallop

By your rationale McLaren did even better than Ferrari as their car was actually worse for a lot of the season and came just as close to the title

Who cares what people could or should have done? All that matters is what they actually did do.

Since 2006 Alonso has done nothing to convince me he is the uber amazing world beating driver people seem to think he is, and all his behaviour outside of the car has made me think he is an arrogant **** and very unlikeable.

Hamilton has won a title.
Button has won a title.
Vettel has won a title and also got a really good off track personality about him
Webber is a proper character, good fun off track (in the DC, Villenuve "say it how it is" kinda way)
Massa is massively likeable, and beat his champion team mate in 2008

Alonso has... moved around teams because he got beaten by a rookie, fallen out with team mamgaers, cheated repeatedly, demanded number 1 status and behaved like a 2 year old child... and lost a title because he couldn't overtake yet another rookie...

Nope, really don't see what is so great about him... He's good yes, but definitely not better than the other top drivers in F1.

Sounds an extremely biased and incorrect viewpoint. So let's balance it out with my opposite end of the spectrum biased view. :p

I don't recall the Renault being anything like a championship contender... Can't blame him for not winning a title in that.
He has driven POS cars, far better than his teammates, pretty good show in my eyes.
Him not overtaking Petrov last year... I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't have been able to overtake that car. Lest we forget that Hamilton (God in this forums eyes) couldn't overtake the other Renault. The track was/is a load of **** for cars of this type.
The Mclaren farce, that was just a mess from start to finish, quite why they brought him in I'll never know, Hamilton is, was and always will be their poster child.
All top drivers are arrogant, it's the way to stay at the top. It's why Vettel has won a championship and Webber never will.

You still havent seen it, so what a complete load of codswallop

By your rationale McLaren did even better than Ferrari as their car was actually worse for a lot of the season and came just as close to the title

Get back in your box, I said JUST ABOUT DID, I didn't say he did it. I was saying almost, at no time did I say he did it.

Again the Mclaren was far more reliable than the Ferrari. Over the season there wasn't a lot in difference between the two in pace but Ferrari was nursing some pretty poor reliability.

ALonso is very good but i thinked a bit hyped becuse some people think the renault he drove was a dog when he won the wdc.

Before Alonso's arrival at Ferrari last year Massa was regarded as a pretty decent driver. I myself, felt that Alonso + Massa vs Button + Hamilton, would've been fantastic to see.

Yet, when Alonso arrived last year, he completely broke Massa. Mentally, Massa is completely beaten. There were some situations like at Monaco, where Alonso started at the back of the grid and then cruised up behind his team-mate. There were situations where it almost looks as if the 2 drivers are driving different cars...that's how fast/good Alonso is.

Of all the top teams last year, Alonso was the one who dominated his team-mate the most.

How anybody could say that he is not the best driver in F1, is beyond me. Even his compatriots (current generation of F1 drivers) have voted him as the best.

Alonso has... moved around teams because he got beaten by a rookie, fallen out with team mamgaers, cheated repeatedly, demanded number 1 status and behaved like a 2 year old child... and lost a title because he couldn't overtake yet another rookie....

Prove to me he's cheated repeatedly. Tell me the times. Infact don't derail this thread start another on why Alonso is a cheat and has cheated. It would be easier to pick apart in another thread and nto ruin this one for everyone.

Fallen out with team managers That suggests more than one, another exaggeration?

He fell out with Dennis, but then so did the hamilton family so even after your treated like family I guess falling out with Dennis isn't hard. Even Coulthard managed it.

Demanded No1 status, wow not like they all don't want or do that. On the face of it I can understand it, no one knew how good hamilton was going to be and you would expect say a Hamilton now to get no 1 status if a new kid joined the team. Don't see the issue, It's not like Vettel to try to do the same is it? After all he's pretty ruthless.

Overtake a rookie? Well Hamilton couldn't overtake the other Renault either and he's seen as a god on here for over taking, perhaps the renault just worked better. After all it's not like F1 has been full of overtaking and that's not a great track for a history of passing.

Beaten by a rookie?

They got the same points, a fact always over looked.

sunama, you're just asking for a... "but he wasn't very good at beating Massa at Germany!? <insert winking smiley>"

I completely agree, I thought Massa was great in previous years but... Next to Alonso, he just doesn't stand a chance.

Free practice results below

Free Practice 1

Code:
[b]Pos  Driver         Team                   Time              Laps[/b]
 1.  Webber         Red Bull-Renault       1m37.651s            22
 2.  Hamilton       McLaren-Mercedes       1m39.316s  + 1.665   16
 3.  Schumacher     Mercedes               1m39.791s  + 2.140   29
 4.  Hulkenberg     Force India-Mercedes   1m40.377s  + 2.726   23
 5.  Maldonado      Williams-Cosworth      1m40.443s  + 2.792   31
 6.  Massa          Ferrari                1m40.453s  + 2.802   22
 7.  Heidfeld       Renault                1m40.525s  + 2.874    6
 8.  Barrichello    Williams-Cosworth      1m40.581s  + 2.930   21
 9.  Alonso         Ferrari                1m40.601s  + 2.950   23
10.  Rosberg        Mercedes               1m40.646s  + 2.995   29
11.  Sutil          Force India-Mercedes   1m40.734s  + 3.083   21
12.  Ricciardo      Toro Rosso-Ferrari     1m40.748s  + 3.097   23
13.  Alguersuari    Toro Rosso-Ferrari     1m40.770s  + 3.119   24
14.  Kobayashi      Sauber-Ferrari         1m40.872s  + 3.221   27
15.  Button         McLaren-Mercedes       1m40.927s  + 3.276   16
16.  Trulli         Lotus-Renault          1m41.620s  + 3.969   21
17.  Vettel         Red Bull-Renault       1m41.627s  + 3.976   18
18.  Perez          Sauber-Ferrari         1m41.642s  + 3.991   24
19.  Glock          Virgin-Cosworth        1m42.154s  + 4.503   18
20.  d'Ambrosio     Virgin-Cosworth        1m42.540s  + 4.889   20
21.  Valsecchi      Lotus-Renault          1m44.054s  + 6.403   18
22.  Liuzzi         HRT-Cosworth           1m45.228s  + 7.577   20
23.  Karthikeyan    HRT-Cosworth           1m46.267s  + 8.616   10
24.  Petrov         Renault                1m47.932s  + 10.281   4

Free Practice 2

Code:
[b]Pos  Driver               Team                     Time               Laps[/b]
 1.  Mark Webber          Red Bull-Renault         1m36.876s            24
 2.  Jenson Button        McLaren-Mercedes         1m36.881s  + 0.005   30
 3.  Lewis Hamilton       McLaren-Mercedes         1m37.010s  + 0.134   23
 4.  Sebastian Vettel     Red Bull-Renault         1m37.090s  + 0.214   30
 5.  Michael Schumacher   Mercedes                 1m38.088s  + 1.212   26
 6.  Felipe Massa         Ferrari                  1m38.089s  + 1.213   31
 7.  Nico Rosberg         Mercedes                 1m38.565s  + 1.689   25
 8.  Nick Heidfeld        Renault                  1m38.570s  + 1.694   16
 9.  Fernando Alonso      Ferrari                  1m38.583s  + 1.707   27
10.  Jaime Alguersuari    Toro Rosso-Ferrari       1m38.846s  + 1.970   31
11.  Pastor Maldonado     Williams-Cosworth        1m38.968s  + 2.092   25
12.  Rubens Barrichello   Williams-Cosworth        1m39.187s  + 2.311   30
13.  Vitaly Petrov        Renault                  1m39.267s  + 2.391   17
14.  Kamui Kobayashi      Sauber-Ferrari           1m39.398s  + 2.522   29
15.  Sergio Perez         Sauber-Ferrari           1m39.603s  + 2.727   34
16.  Paul di Resta        Force India-Mercedes     1m39.625s  + 2.749   31
17.  Adrian Sutil         Force India-Mercedes     1m39.809s  + 2.933   28
18.  Sebastien Buemi      Toro Rosso-Ferrari       1m40.115s  + 3.239   31
19.  Timo Glock           Virgin-Cosworth          1m40.866s  + 3.990   24
20.  Jarno Trulli         Lotus-Renault            1m41.890s  + 5.014   19
21.  Narain Karthikeyan   HRT-Cosworth             1m43.197s  + 6.321   15
22.  Tonio Liuzzi         HRT-Cosworth             1m43.991s  + 7.115   14
23.  Heikki Kovalainen    Lotus-Renault            1m44.886s  + 8.010    4

Hmm, Schumacher is doing alright there. Possibly not too representative though of what will happen tomorrow in quali's when the top guns really start pushing their boundaries.

Back
Top Bottom