Malaysian Grand Prix 2011, Sepang International Circuit - Race 2/19

Caporegime
. Even his compatriots (current generation of F1 drivers) have voted him as the best.

Hamilton recently said he doesn't view Vettel as a rival, Alonso is his main challenger and he's right. He knows comparative equipment and that he would break Vettel into a Massa inside of half a season.

Man of Honour
Hmm, Schumacher is doing alright there. Possibly not too representative though of what will happen tomorrow in quali's when the top guns really start pushing their boundaries.

Yep he seems happier this season than last. Quite a big gap from Mclaren and Red Bull to the rest and not sure where Ferrari are at the moment.

Soldato
Watched a bit of both practises this morning due to rubbish sleep pattern :(

Few run offs, not too sure what these tyres will be doing in the race. Hope the RBR pace isn't so far ahead and is closer to FP2 pace wise, Massa quicker than Alonso in both sessions, hope he can carry that through to the race.

Man of Honour
OP
AH - if the McLaren is useless, what are the rest - utter carp ? :D

Was referring to the original car in pre season testing but why not. Fell asleep after about 29mins of practice.

Times looking encouraging but not holding much hope rbi always seem to Franck it up on Saturday.

Soldato
You and your team of cheats. Without that front wing, which is pretty much as bad as Hitler, you'd be behind HRT, never qualifying.
When will you stop the cheating!!!!?

If the Wing passes the tests set out by the FIA then it's really up to the other teams to stop moaning about it and either copy the idea or think of other ways to get closer to Redbull. Brawns double diffuser springs to mind.

I honestly think it's about time the other teams just get over this issue and try to beat them instead of trying to have Redbull penalised and reigned in.

Man of Honour
OP
Double diffuser is different as that wasn't against the rules. However saying that fia still don't care so it's legal and other teams need to copy or shut up. Also it looks like it's more than the front wing, with several bits helping it. So it's probably end each parts flex limit anyway.

Soldato
Alonso is a fantastic driver, I don't think one can deny that (as much as some have tried).

Equally I think the RBR front wing is clearly against the spirit of the rules, yet passes all the tests so is legal, lets get over it. I somehow doubt that it is giving them 0.5s/lap and if it is then others should be copying it!

However, I seem to recall in the past (maybe 2009) Ferrari had rather bendy wings on their car and were banned within one race. Double standards in the only way the FIA know how. Also this poses another question, if Ferrari could make bendy wings back a few years ago why is it taking all the teams so long to catch up with what RBR are doing to theirs?

Soldato
Also this poses another question, if Ferrari could make bendy wings back a few years ago why is it taking all the teams so long to catch up with what RBR are doing to theirs?
I think the trick is to get the wing to pass the FIA test but still look like it's made of rubber when on the car.

I also think the flexible wing only works well if the rest of the car is set up to take advantage of that, the McLaren car is usually very stiffly sprung so it might not get a big advantage from a flex wing.

Soldato
Just to shut this forums whiners up :D

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23119.html

Think i will take that point of view pretty much everytime.

Scarb explained it pretty well in effect I'd say, Horner is claiming the front end of the car is lower than the rear right?

So that means the front wing eventually gets lower to the ground, but as scarb said.. if that's the case, then why does the onboard footage show the wing moving and the camera in the front of the nose staying still? ;)

Soldato
I honestly think it's about time the other teams just get over this issue and try to beat them instead of trying to have Redbull penalised and reigned in.

I couldn't agree with you more.
We all know how it works though, if your team can't design it themselves, get it banned! It's "not in the spirit" of the rules, etc. etc...

<insert world biggest, flexing at speed, rolleyes> :D

Soldato
Scarb explained it pretty well in effect I'd say, Horner is claiming the front end of the car is lower than the rear right?

So that means the front wing eventually gets lower to the ground, but as scarb said.. if that's the case, then why does the onboard footage show the wing moving and the camera in the front of the nose staying still? ;)

Because it's moving :D

Caporegime
However, I seem to recall in the past (maybe 2009) Ferrari had rather bendy wings on their car and were banned within one race. Double standards in the only way the FIA know how. Also this poses another question, if Ferrari could make bendy wings back a few years ago why is it taking all the teams so long to catch up with what RBR are doing to theirs?

That was rear wings. Which was bending in one direction, aft to allow a lower angle of attack and higher top speed.

Making something flex in atleast two planes as the red bull front wing does is entirely different and more complex, to carry on passing the tests and not break. If the pictures can be believed it's flexing both at the tips downwards and pitching downwards as well.

As I've said before If I was Red Bull I'd be sand bagging races and winning by a few seconds while controlling the pace and tyre wear. As soon as the FIA get wind that they have a seond or more in the bag they will ban them on grounds of safety or some other conjoured up rule. Infact I bet they are hoping one snaps off so they can ban them without making it look like a farce that it took them 2 years.

Caporegime
Wasn't the Ferrari thing 2008 anyway, and it was to do with the bits that went up and over the front nose? The FIA amended the regulations and made all the teams put in little struts to tie the wing bit to the nose.

But again, the car wasn't illegal. It passed scruteneering, but looked to flex, so the FIA changed the regs a bit and they amended their car accordingly. The FIA have already increased the weight applied to the front wings (maybe even twice?) and the RB still passes, so it is legal.

If a car is deemed illegal then it will be excluded from the race (a la Sauber), the fact all these cars keep racing means they are legal. Full stop. End of.

Soldato
the fact all these cars keep racing means they are legal. Full stop. End of.
Not really, they pass the test the FIA uses but isn't the rule that all moving aerodynamic parts aren't allowed?

It looks like the wing is flexing when racing and be stiff when tested, maybe air resistance causing heat which in turn causes some material to soften allowing flex.

Associate
I would be very suprised if the red bull front wing was deemed illegal, they have been racing with it for over a year with it clearly moving up and down. The FIA simply cant just change their mind.

Back
Top Bottom