Manchester Bombing *** Please remain respectful and refrain from antagonising posts ***

Caporegime
Because the church was totally angelic in the early days..
By Church I presume you're talking about the Roman Catholic Church? They get a bad press these days but actually they were trying their best. You have to remember that once the Roman empire fell (to barbarians - sound eerily familiar?) there was basically no government anymore, so the Church stepped in and did its best to provide some form of much needed authority - not saying they were perfect (it is a man-made institution after all), but the Church did plenty of good as well as a bit of bad every now and then. One thing that's really surprising if you read up on it is the Crusader states. Revisionist historians like to portray these as cruel, imperialist white-men enslaving the local Muslim population but actually, that couldn't be further from the truth - they were often bastions of multi-cultural tolerance, even plenty of Muslims liked living there because it was preferable to life in the Caliphate.

Caporegime
You want to essentially kick out British suspects, to god know's where? no trial, no gathering of facts or fairness - just boot them out because they ended up on a list.

Swift justice, often ends up being injustice.

It's best to approach those posts by assuming the person writing them hasn't really given the content much thought.

Soldato
More or better security is not the answer, people who have decided to kill themselves and take as many people with them will simply find a different target.
Better funding and resources for intelligence combined with early intervention and community based projects would be far more effective in preventing another tragedy!

its a tricky scenario, on the one hand we want to stop this (obviously), on the other how much of what makes us ourselves are we willing to sacrifice?

for example take Katie Hopkins horrific post.

do I agree with what he said? hell no, we have concentration camps as museums to remind us how horrible we can be if we let ourselves.

do I support her freedom to say what she said? hell yes, she can say what the hell she likes, that's freedom, but don't mistake that for my freedom to ignore/disagree.

what we don't need is for our fixes to make us not ourselves, by changing us to such extremes you could argue that the terrorists have won. lets face it we could so easily reduce the middle east to radioactive dust, and kill everyone who claims to follow this religion, but in doing so we sacrifice the very principles for which we stand.

Caporegime
U.N.: Dozens of Muslims massacred by Buddhists in Burma
Source

Not necessarily down to Buddhist ideology rather ethnic/sectarian violence where the perpetrators's religion is Buddhism. I mean this seems to be the equivalent of blaming IRA violence on Catholicism because the IRA happened to be made up of mostly Catholics.

Soldato
its a tricky scenario, on the one hand we want to stop this (obviously), on the other how much of what makes us ourselves are we willing to sacrifice?

for example take Katie Hopkins horrific post.

do I agree with what he said? hell no, we have concentration camps as museums to remind us how horrible we can be if we let ourselves.

do I support her freedom to say what she said? hell yes, she can say what the hell she likes, that's freedom, but don't mistake that for my freedom to ignore/disagree.

what we don't need is for our fixes to make us not ourselves, by changing us to such extremes you could argue that the terrorists have won. lets face it we could so easily reduce the middle east to radioactive dust, and kill everyone who claims to follow this religion, but in doing so we sacrifice the very principles for which we stand.

But if you allow that then you have to also allow the hatred and propaganda that the rancid extremists preach that indoctrinates and encourages people to commit atrocitys like we saw in Manchester.
I'm a believer in free speech, but up to a point.

Soldato
The threat level has been increased from severe to critical, whatever the hell that means in practise, apparently another attack is 'imminent'

military being deployed to support the armed police, sounds like they're pulling out the stops

Soldato
The threat level has been increased from severe to critical, whatever the hell that means in practise, apparently another attack is 'imminent'

military being deployed to support the armed police, sounds like they're pulling out the stops

Army being called in to action.

Sounds like credible intelligence coming through. Possibly from the raids/arrests today

Associate
This event is tragic, what is also tragic is it will be used time and time again to erode our rights rather than fixing the root cause of the problem, us bombing the c**p out of everyone with our US buddies...

Soldato
What does this have to do with Manchester? If you want to make a thread for other things then nothing is stopping you.

I'm trying to point out to people here that we shouldn't be making sweeping statements about individual religions and that it's about extremism and interpretations.
We don't judge all Buddhists by the actions of the violent extremists in Burma and we don't judge all Christians by the extreme actions from the christian terrorists the lord resistance army in Africa!

Man of Honour
So the army are replacing armed police officers all over the country, guarding key sites.

The problem is, lots of armed officers wont stop a madman standing in a crowd and blowing himself up. Only the intelligence services can.

Back
Top Bottom