Manchester Bombing *** Please remain respectful and refrain from antagonising posts ***

Caporegime
Unfortunately IMO that's rather wishful thinking.

The world has certainly become a less violent place, at least for the moment, but I'm exceedingly doubtful that other European/U.K. based terrorist organizations won't rear their ugly heads in the future. Thats especially true as nationalism and sectarianism appears to be on the rise again (see Scottish independence and Brexit as examples)*.

*note, I'm not saying either of those will give rise to terrorism, rather using them to point out the rise in nationalism and increasing division in the UK and Europe in recent years.

it isn't really wishful thinking but an observation of what has happened so far

Caporegime
Some of the rumours or fake reports of the missing on Facebook must be horrible for the parents or family. Why do people do it.

there are some sad individuals out there

frustrating too when things got repeated in here yesterday without any link/source too... and of course turned out to be wrong

Caporegime
So the army are replacing armed police officers all over the country, guarding key sites.

The problem is, lots of armed officers wont stop a madman standing in a crowd and blowing himself up. Only the intelligence services can.

could possibly shoot him before he manages to though

Soldato
Part of me thinks the Government knows of a wider plan for more attacks, as ISIS did state on social media that there would be greater attacks to come soon. Which is very frightening.

However, part of me thinks they're doing this out of protocol so they can say they've done everything within their power to protect the people.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Part of me thinks the Government knows of a wider plan for more attacks, as ISIS did state on social media that there would be greater attacks to come soon. Which is very frightening.

However, part of me thinks they're doing this out of protocol so they can say they've done everything within their power to protect the people.

And the fact that they probably don't want people taking matters into their own hands and begin targeting Muslims (or in some cases Sikhs as it seems to happen often) in a emotionally charged pre-emptive action kind of way..

Associate

I was reading on another forum that apparently ISIS claimed responsibility for "2" attacks in Manchester at first. One was in relation to 5 brothers and sisters performing an "assault mission" but they then quickly deleted the tweet. Possibly implies more was planned / more attackers out there.

Caporegime
it isn't really wishful thinking but an observation of what has happened so far

What observation are they?

Yes we are currently safer than we were 20 years ago, but is that going to stay the same if we continue heading in the direction we have been the last couple of years?

Caporegime
Since when is it controversial? Good grief. You talk like you're pilloried for being irreligious.

to be fair he does have a point - there shouldn't be any reason why we can't treat the belief in a religion in the same way as we treat belief in a political ideology... however I'd suspect that (and this isn't really a criticism of these forums but social attitudes in general) if people spoke about religions the way they often speak about politics then they'd be frowned upon to put it lightly

Caporegime
What observation are they?

Yes we are currently safer than we were 20 years ago, but is that going to stay the same if we continue heading in the direction we have been the last couple of years?

not just 20 years but I mean look at how we've progressed over the past few centuries

V F

V F

Soldato
Everyone from popstars to politicians are speaking out about this despicable act.

If the news people are supposed to be impartial why aren't they getting imams on to condemn the attacks?

What I find irritating is the mainstream news, radio as well keep naming the killer and giving him so much coverage. They're playing right into what the killers want.

Soldato
I was surprised to hear that the Police were able to get approximately 400 armed officers into Manchester last night, which must have involved surging everyone they could get, not just from GMP, but probably involved calling in back up from surrounding forces such as Cheshire, South Yorkshire, Mercia etc. Obviously, that level of operational intensity has to be unsustainable, hence why I think the call's been made for the military to step in.

Caporegime
to be fair he does have a point - there shouldn't be any reason why we can't treat the belief in a religion in the same way as we treat belief in a political ideology... however I'd suspect that (and this isn't really a criticism of these forums but social attitudes in general) if people spoke about religions the way they often speak about politics then they'd be frowned upon to put it lightly

Yet at the same time you'll get just the same response calling all UKIP supporters racist bigots as you would saying Islam is the cause of terrorism.

Justifiably in both cases.

Caporegime
not just 20 years but I mean look at how we've progressed over the past few centuries

Yet we had a long way to go before we get past the point of terrorism. We may do in the future but I doubt it's going to change in our and the next generations lifetime.

Associate
This morning I learnt that the family who own the business next door to my place of work in Liverpool have lost their daughter and their son is critical. They are teenagers.

Caporegime
Yet at the same time you'll get just the same response calling all UKIP supporters racist bigots as you would saying Islam is the cause of terrorism.

you're conflating two different things there - on one hand you're criticising the followers and on the other the ideology

if you said all muslims are terrorists you'd quite rightly get a bit of flack for it - in fact you'd probably have a suspension on here

you could perhaps get away with generalising about UKIP supporters and calling them racists

You'd likely be fine to say you can't stand 'liberals' or that you hate 'Tories'

Caporegime
Yet we had a long way to go before we get past the point of terrorism. We may do in the future but I doubt it's going to change in our and the next generations lifetime.

well that is besides the point really - I never made any specific claims re: timeline

V F

V F

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom