Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Soldato
it is not any slower, but most rush down heavy characters got nerfed. so it is not as easy to get in and mess them up anymore (no more random full screen gun juggle for me as well, hence i need a team-mate with wesker and strider!). and it is not as easy to touch of death someone, so i guess there is more room for error in umvc3. i will post my full thought on this later.

but i can tell you out of all the new characters i tried (phoenix wright, frank west, a very little of strider and vergil), strider seems the strongest. if he has 3 bars and lv3 xfactor, he is as good as dark phoenix and he is very good at fighting dark phoenix.

phoenix wright and frank west are very hard to play. while they both have some powerful combos, they are very slow and struggle to open people up for their power-ups. although sending people to jail with phoenix wright is pretty fun.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thoughts on Ghostrider Hyv? I could be wrong but looking at videos he looks a lot like a keep away character and I'm not sure if he would suit my team for that reason because I enjoy rushing down quite a bit, I've liked him for a long time though would love to get him into my team some how. I'll be keeping Akuma as my anchor, the other 2 spots are up for grabs.

Soldato
Thoughts on Ghostrider Hyv? I could be wrong but looking at videos he looks a lot like a keep away character and I'm not sure if he would suit my team for that reason because I enjoy rushing down quite a bit, I've liked him for a long time though would love to get him into my team some how. I'll be keeping Akuma as my anchor, the other 2 spots are up for grabs.

i havent tried him yet. you should try dormammu, he is easily the top 3 in this game. doctor doom has improved to the point of bs as well. akuma tatsu assist is not as good anymore, its still very good for lock down pressure and get-off-me, but not so great for combos. although i think he is a strong point characters now and has some new combos.

Associate
Akuma's tatsu assist's lack of soft knockdown makes it really difficult to combo from now.
He's my most played character in vanilla (>50%) but I doubt I'll use him much in Ultimate.

Soldato
Yeah I know Akuma isn't nearly as good now because of what they did to his assist but I was always going to get him into my team some how as I've always been a fan, I don't care very much for tiers or how good/bad a character is if I like them I'm going to try my best to use them. I'm just fortunate Akuma happens to be great in AE and 3SOE. I'll try him out on point Hyv and see how it goes, thanks.

Associate
I'm probably only talking to 2 people max here, but if anyone can do Morrigan's mission 10, i'd love to see it. I can't get the final launcher to connect :(

Soldato
I'm probably only talking to 2 people max here, but if anyone can do Morrigan's mission 10, i'd love to see it. I can't get the final launcher to connect :(

that combo is well hard to do. i struggled after the second flight cancel.

anyway, my overall feel for umvc3 is that it pretty much the same as the old mvc3 but some combos works differently and here is less random left/right mix-up or full to half screen juggles that lead to instant death (plus a 80-death mix-up on the character coming in). xfactor is less powerful especially in lv1, but lv2-3 xfactor is still gives mad speed and power increase especially for some characters (like 45% speed increase for strider! with orbs on, he is better than dark phoenix). although it last different time for different characters, but i havent tested it yet.

my advice to beginners is pick at least one top tier in your team and someone with a decent assist with whoever you like, or you are going to get bodied by someone that knows what they are doing without a chance of figuring out whats going on and why you lost.

practice how to set up a situation for a mix-up is much more important than combos in this game, although you should at least have you bnb and a more damaging specific combo down. as dropping a combo in a crucial momment can also lead to a quick defeat, because your combo will build enough meter for your opponent for a character kill combo with multiple dhcs or lv3 and he/she will likely to tag out that character to regain a lot of red life.

here is how i determine who is top tier and who is going to be useless.

1. mobility: you probably want to stay away from slow characters without armoured moves because they are a sitting duck and are very vulnerable to getting mauled by fast characters like magneto and zero. having good mobility options like fast wave dash, double jump, flight, air dashing and teleports can also set-up a lot of offence with quick tri jump instant overheads and teleport left/right mix-ups with selected assists, as well as running away with flight and plink dashes.

2. strong mix-up: mix-up ability is very important because with the help of assists, you can constantly put your opponent into a unfavourable position or situation and they can never get out. basically you are always in a good position if you are in and your character has strong mix-up ability. a character with strong mix-up usually have at least one of the following: safe attacks from many angles, fast and high priority or close to invincible normal moves, command throw, fast high and lows, chain-able lows, and teleport.

3. combo ability: by combo ability i dont mean ability to do long extended combos because almost everyone in the cast have the ability to do that. i meant ability to open people up and land a full combo from different positions.

for example, one of the reason why wesker, zero, and wolverine are top tier in old mvc3 is because of their ability to convert random hits from half or even full screen away and air throws into a full combo. wesker can juggle after any anti gun shot (not anymore!) and zero can chase after his buster and get a full combo from screen. this is why they are so feared in mvc3. things to look out for are long range juggles, ability to combo off any air throws, and combos off anti air attacks.

4. health: this is obvious. i have lost count how many times i hit she-hulk or people hit my wesker, they survives and comes back to touch of death their opponent with a random slide or gun shot.

good assists usually hits far (usually projectiles), fast, high priority or invincible, good hitstun to maintain pressure or extend combos, otg. examples of good utility assists in umvc3 are, ryu tatsu, iron man beam, hawkeye up/forward arrows, dr doom beam/missiles, dante jam sessions, strider teleport kick, sentinel drones, magneto beam, akuma tatsu, dog coldstar, frank west shopping cart, raccoon gun/trap.

good get-off-me assists would be: hulk gamma charge, hagger lariat, nova superman punch, iron fist drop kick.

assist for extending combos are: wesker gun, x23 ankle slice, nemesis ground bounce punch, spencer up wire grab.

of course some assists can work with multiple purposes like ryu tatsu can be used to get-off-me and extend combos because it cause a soft knock down.

phoenix wright in turn-about mode has by far the best assists in the game because its completely invincible, both the paper and press the witness cause long hitstun (press the witness cause wall bounce as well) and they come out at a good angle to anti air jumps. so they can be used for literally anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
and of course, you want to have a team with good synergy, but thats up to you to figure out what is best for you because this game has so much freedom and everyone play differently. teams with good synergy have good dhc combos and into safety, good assists to extend combos and open people up, and all of this works regardless of team order.

btw i prefer the old combo engine. hit stun scaling kicks in too early in this game for my likings, it will take some serious skills or creativity to do proper long combos. and arth, we got the game before the americans!

Last edited:
Associate
Did it on my first go

I'd expect nothing less from the best Viper on OcUK.

I'd recommend learning one character at a time.
Even having played the game for 9 months, learning 3 new characters at once is too much.
Pick a character, either for their design, tier placing, or some cheap move you like, and practice how to get in or keep away (with and without assists), depending on their/your style.
I agree with vian that there's no need to learn 'fancy' combos at first. LMHS jump MHS Hyper does almost as much dmg as harder combos, so keep it simple at first.
The game has more to learn than sf4 imo with knowing when to xfactor and dhc etc, but I think I've mentioned all this before about Vanilla mvc3.
Just need some match practice and stick with it, and it'll be second nature before long.

Soldato
Thanks for all the info fellas, my copy did not arrive today I figured it would after being dispatched at 8am yesterday but that's the price I pay for living in northern ireland -_- I'm going to take a look at Nova I think when I can get into the lab with this, he seems to be a very heavy hitter with good mobility.

Associate
So i'm guessing this is out to buy in shops now?

Or did you guys get delivery?

One thing i'd like to know is whether or not there is spectator mode?

Be so much more better to learn if i can see what you guys are talking about when we play, as playing last time, i had no idea and just got bodied.

Associate
Quick question - is Jill Valentine included in the ultimate edition or do I have to download the charcter as DLC?

jill and Shuma are still DLC characters.

So i'm guessing this is out to buy in shops now?

Or did you guys get delivery?

One thing i'd like to know is whether or not there is spectator mode?

Be so much more better to learn if i can see what you guys are talking about when we play, as playing last time, i had no idea and just got bodied.

Got it from shopto. Official release date is Friday I believe.
There is spectator mode. But that doesn't stop you getting bodied in SF4.

Back
Top Bottom