****MASS EFFECT : ANDROMEDA****

Never been able to get into 3 at all, each time I've tried to play it I've never managed more than 10 minutes tops before turning it off.

1 and 2 were great though not without some gameplay mechanics that could have been done better.

That's why mate. The first is dated now, granted, so you need to get about 45 mins in to get passed that old console feel and get into the story. It really gets epic and just gets better and better from about 45mins to 1hr in.

ME1 is one of the few games i replayed and finished more than once. I played it first on the X360 when it came out, and it was an amazing experience. The finale is one of the best i´ve ever witnessed, i couldn´t believe what i was seeing.

Or as if Casey Hudson randomly overrode what had already been written and agreed, instead making his own stuff up that he tacked on over it... inconthievable, eh!
True, but also with Mac Walters taking over as lead writer from Karpshyn (yes I know Walters wrote Wrex and is a good character writer), I think that was another reason for the big disconnect between ME1 and ME2.

I honestly don't believe they had planned out the trilogy in any great detail, maybe because if ME1 wasn't received well they wouldn't go on to make a second or third - which could be why it seems like things were continuously made up and changed as they went along.

Supposedly, it will be a whole different cast of characters, so there'll be nothing really to import... aside from perhaps the few choices Shepard made that affected the whole galaxy, of course.
I meant importing from ME4 to ME5 and so on (if there are such games), not from ME3 to ME4.

I would rather see ME4 as a standalone self contained title.

True, but also with Mac Walters taking over as lead writer from Karpshyn (yes I know Walters wrote Wrex and is a good character writer), I think that was another reason for the big disconnect between ME1 and ME2.

I honestly don't believe they had planned out the trilogy in any great detail, maybe because if ME1 wasn't received well they wouldn't go on to make a second or third - which could be why it seems like things were continuously made up and changed as they went along.
Didn't the script leak for ME3? Wouldn't surprise me if they made a lot of last minute changes just because of that leak, stubborn pride and trying to soften the embarrassment.

That's why mate. The first is dated now, granted, so you need to get about 45 mins in to get passed that old console feel and get into the story. It really gets epic and just gets better and better from about 45mins to 1hr in.

Not quite sure if your referring to ME1 or 3 there, first one had some fairly clunky mechanics but did mostly feel like a PC game, the 3rd one atleast at the start just feels somehow like playing a console game even on keyboard and mouse - same kind of thing that put me completely off COD: Ghosts - everything just feels so flat and the controls feel like they are resenting you every time you try and do anything thats not a simple horizontal or vertical movement (bit hard to explain unless you "get it").

ME1 is one of the few games i replayed and finished more than once. I played it first on the X360 when it came out, and it was an amazing experience. The finale is one of the best i´ve ever witnessed, i couldn´t believe what i was seeing.

ME1 was absolutely amazing... From the moment the loading screen music started I knew something special was going to happen. :D Yes, a bit slow at first and some of the level recycling was a bit unwelcome, but overall it's one of the top 5 games I've ever played.

The feeling of being on an alien world for the first time and exploring was awesome. Damn it, I wish I had more time for gaming, I'd play all 3 of them again. I wish they'd kept some of the stats fiddling in for ME2/3 - I like tinkering with weapons and stats.

I had maximum war assets for ME3 and didn't buy it until they'd done the extended ending so was happier with it than most. Shep is alive as far as I'm concerned.

Didn't the script leak for ME3? Wouldn't surprise me if they made a lot of last minute changes just because of that leak, stubborn pride and trying to soften the embarrassment.
Yeah, I remember this. No idea if it was actually the real script - but even so, it was much better than what we ended up with IIRC.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were hard headed and changed the lot because of pride...

Mass Effect was one of the best gaming series in the last decade. That's how much I rate it. So for me to go from that to never wanting to replay the series again after ME3 goes some way in describing my feeling toward the ending of ME3.

The series is over IMO. Shepard was an incredible character and the new guy/gal will always be in his spotlight simply because of the nature and theme of the original story. I mean what are they going to do? Beating the biggest, baddest, civilization wiping ancient mofos in the universe was the whole point of the Mass Effect series. Surely they're not going to bring them back due to the way they.... actually no, stop, I don't even want to THINK about that ending.

They said that it's not going to be just another soldier (i.e. Shepard 2) but something completely different. Personally I call BS on that because who you control is going to be a warrior who fights for a noble cause on a galaxy wide scale. If that wasn't the case then it wouldn't be Mass Effect, there would be no point in using the IP.

In my opinion Bioware should have invested in a brand new IP. New characters, new world and new story. It can even be a sci-fi. It's this money centric ideology (the fact they won't move on from a proven IP) that the quality of their products are dwindling. The diluting of the story (the original conceived motivations for the Reapers was completely different, involving dark matter in the galaxy) and the continuation of a series that was original conceived as a trilogy is why ME:3 was the way it was. It's why DA:2 was a sham of a videogame and it's why there is now a Mass Effect 4.

I will keep my eye on what they decide to do with the series, but just like my inability to replay a series I once adored, I'll be keeping my distance. Just like Dragonage Inquisition. I've lost all faith in Bioware.

Mass Effect was one of the best gaming series in the last decade. That's how much I rate it. So for me to go from that to never wanting to replay the series again after ME3 goes some way in describing my feeling toward the ending of ME3.

Same here I rate Mass Effect very highly especially for franchise owned by EA makes that an even more impressive feat.

I'm wondering what the developers will include in ME4 to p-off the fans this time around (I really don't get the reactions and so called controversies ME2 and ME3 got both were really enjoyable and fun to play)?

Personally, I thought they didn't link particularly well.

Killing or saving the rachni queen in ME1 had no overall effect in ME3. Destroying or saving the collector base in ME2 had no overall effect in ME3 either.

Trolling? They had a massive impact.

You got a few different lines of dialogue for a few seconds. :cool:

If you forget the **** poor ending, then the 'journey' is still good.

I've completed the original Mass Effect five times (4x on Xbox 360, 1x on PC)
Mass Effect 2, three times (Twice on Xbox 360, 1x on PC)
Mass Effect 3, Twice (Both on Xbox 360)

They are really good games and the universe they made is really interesting. If ME4 is truly set in another Galaxy, surely we shouldn't even be seeing Turians, Krogan etc?

I have still not been able to play through ME3 singleplayer a second time, even with buying all the DLC - something about the war story theme that is tedious to play more than once.
Personally I find there's little incentive to explore or to engage with the game world.

Compare that to playing both ME1 and ME2 many times through, and around 1000 hours on ME3 multiplayer...

Beating the biggest, baddest, civilization wiping ancient mofos in the universe was the whole point of the Mass Effect series. Surely they're not going to bring them back
They can't. Certainly not on that scale.
But what made it work so well was how they focussed on all the individual characters and blended them in with the general war around them. It wasn't just a solo effort, or one big epic thing, but both and more.

They said that it's not going to be just another soldier (i.e. Shepard 2) but something completely different. Personally I call BS on that because who you control is going to be a warrior who fights for a noble cause on a galaxy wide scale.
But during all that, there was a whole galaxy at war. That gives you thousands of other people's tales to tell, some of which were likely almost as huge as the Shepard saga.

It really won't be good for my sanity to pick through all the nonsense that is ME3's plot, and the awful dialogue and scenes that happen particularly in the main story parts...I did all this at the time.
Link? :D

So what would you advise playing that will blow ME out of the water?
I'm getting pretty bored by a lot of the other games in the last couple of years.

In my opinion Bioware should have invested in a brand new IP. New characters, new world and new story. It can even be a sci-fi. It's this money centric ideology (the fact they won't move on from a proven IP) that the quality of their products are dwindling. The diluting of the story (the original conceived motivations for the Reapers was completely different, involving dark matter in the galaxy) and the continuation of a series that was original conceived as a trilogy is why ME:3 was the way it was. It's why DA:2 was a sham of a videogame and it's why there is now a Mass Effect 4.
They have haven't they? The original studio (Edmonton I think) are working on a new IP, the new Mass Effect is being done by another studio (Montreal). Doesn't exactly give you confidence when it's being shipped off to another developer, but oh well.

They have haven't they? The original studio (Edmonton I think) are working on a new IP, the new Mass Effect is being done by another studio (Montreal). Doesn't exactly give you confidence when it's being shipped off to another developer, but oh well.

Montreal made ME3 multiplayer, which was by far the best thing in that game. I have confidence in them to deliver at the very least a fantastic multiplayer game.

But yea, I have no expectations for the story - if it's good then great, if it's bad - well I don't care anymore - will just play the multiplayer.

Back
Top Bottom