Matthew Perry dead at 54 - RIP

Similar to that scene in Only Fools and Horses where Del looks at Grandad’s chair
Sad scene that. I was like that in real life when my grandad died. When I was at my nans I never sat in his old chair, it didn’t feel right. I’d sit somewhere else and find myself looking at his chair and his little table where he’d keep his remotes and his radio times

He did have a phase where he was suffering from addiction. That’s not to say this is related to that. He could have had a heart attack or stroke in the pool for all we know. I read somewhere he was in cardiac arrest.
i listened to him read his book on audible only a couple months back (highly recommend it) and i was left thinking, how long can this guy have left. his addication has been essentially his entire life, from a teen to now, and it's crazy, something like 50 pills a day.

Sad none the less. i watch friends every day to bed. chandler has always been my favoutire

Whilst it has a high rating on Audible, the people who have taken time to write reviews generally pan it saying he spends his time wallowing in self-pity and blaming everyone else... Will see what @SixTwoSix thinks of it. :)
Can see it going that way for sure, it's a very candid view of addiction and I think anyone who hasn't had to deal with that could see it as very self pitying.

Whilst it has a high rating on Audible, the people who have taken time to write reviews generally pan it saying he spends his time wallowing in self-pity and blaming everyone else... Will see what @SixTwoSix thinks of it. :)
No wya he blames anyone else. Not what I took from it at all. He may blame events, or say these events triggered this reaction, but he doesn't go blame Julia Roberts for instance for breaking up with him.

It's a great listen and a good length too. Highly recommend it.

Always seemed a troubled person. Goes to show that having loads of money doesn't always buy you happiness.

Especially when it gives you unlimited access to drugs.

R.I.P he was always my favourite in Friends.

Unfortunatley so:(

RIP

Was fantastic as chandler and the friends reunion thing did paint a bit of a darker past for him.
Also goes to show that no matter how much money someone has they might still not be able to get the help/support they need.
Apparently we men do hide how were really feeling and dont really talk much about things affecting us

When was the last time you asked a friend ... hey... how you doing

RIP,

I first heard the news on TikTok of all places so i thought it was a hoax

It's so sad one of my favorite comedians pass away so lonely and with so many issues. He made me laugh so much for so many years. I wish he had a happier life that he so richly deserved and not dogged with so many addiction issues.

He'll be sorely missed.

Honestly the US healthcare industry is/was a disgrace. Selling people powerful painkillers with zero care for the fact they'd get addicted. The "care" in healthcare is an oxymoron for so many, its just all about the $ and the more $ the better and screw the consequences. The opiate crisis is all on them. Not that I think he died of that but he did suffer with addiction for years from being prescribed powerful painkillers for a back injury.

RIP.

It seems like there's a media war starting against it. I've watched two series on Netflix recently which were, in essence, about prescription drug addiction in the US. One was factual but dramatised and the other was fictional.

Very sad news. :(

His Instagram posts over the past few weeks were rather strange and out of character. I remember a lot of the comments were people asking him if everything's okay, and now he's gone.

RIP Matthew Perry, 54 is too young an age to pass away at, especially for someone who was such a bright light for so many

Unfortunatley so:(

RIP

Was fantastic as chandler and the friends reunion thing did paint a bit of a darker past for him.
Also goes to show that no matter how much money someone has they might still not be able to get the help/support they need.
Apparently we men do hide how were really feeling and dont really talk much about things affecting us

When was the last time you asked a friend ... hey... how you doing
Unfortunately not enough of us actually do ask "How you doin" and even more unfortunately when asked the stock answer is mostly "alright" even when it shouldn't be. I watched the reunion thing and felt quite sad for him, even in that he often looked a bit out of place.

RIP to a guy who actually made me laugh despite being troubled himself.

I'm not too surprised actually. I've not read it, but did come across some articles talking about his struggles - mentioned that he wanted love but couldn't truly find it. He was dating some beautiful women in his earlier years so he never had a problem with looks, but there was a mention of his insecurities that he always felt they were going to end it first, so he never managed long relationships. Something he blamed on his parents divorce.

It's quite sad really. I don't think he can truly blame it on other people, and had he maybe got some counseling for his insecurities or taken the risk with trusting someone to love he may have gotten over his insecurities and lived a happy life.

Goes to show you never know what's going on in people's minds.

...he spends his time wallowing in self-pity and blaming everyone else...
Sometimes this is because nobody has listened to you when asking for help, or noticed that you need help and tried to provider support.

In some ways like the recent US shooting, where the shooter had been hearing voices and even been into care, and later released. Is it a failing of the person, or a failing of society to support that person and help them out of the situation they're become trapped within.

I'm not justifying either side - just that if you're in a dark place, it's very unlikely you can get yourself out, and if you're stuck in the dark, there are only two remaining options.

Some ask how you doing? And when they get the reply, "ok" etc, they think that person is actually doing ok. People need to follow up with, "yeah, but how are you really doing?" if they are concerned. Sometimes then the other may open up.

When i get asked, i say, "Surviving". We should be thriving, not surviving, but no one has ever followed up with me.

Some ask how you doing? And when they get the reply, "ok" etc, they think that person is actually doing ok. People need to follow up with, "yeah, but how are you really doing?" if they are concerned. Sometimes then the other may open up.
I remember hearing if you really want to know, you have to ask three times. Tbh, this could just really annoy some people though./ "Well, I was fine, then you kept asking me the same question and now I'm annoyed!" :cry:
When i get asked, i say, "Surviving". We should be thriving, not surviving, but no one has ever followed up with me.
Tbf, "Surviving" sounds more like a 'comedic' answer to me, if you know what I mean? We're all surviving after all. I mean, you might ask someone how they are that's just been hit by a car and they're bleeding very badly and they might not be surviving... but...

I do remember someone once replied something like 'not so good' and tbh I didn't pick up on it and they called me on it. So grateful they did. It kind of made me treat "How are things?" like an actual question that I want to know the answer to, rather than just a casual greeting.

I remember hearing if you really want to know, you have to ask three times. Tbh, this could just really annoy some people though./ "Well, I was fine, then you kept asking me the same question and now I'm annoyed!" :cry:

Tbf, "Surviving" sounds more like a 'comedic' answer to me, if you know what I mean? We're all surviving after all. I mean, you might ask someone how they are that's just been hit by a car and they're bleeding very badly and they might not be surviving... but...

I do remember someone once replied something like 'not so good' and tbh I didn't pick up on it and they called me on it. So grateful they did. It kind of made me treat "How are things?" like an actual question that I want to know the answer to, rather than just a casual greeting.

Yep 100%. Not sure if it's specific to Britain, but typically alright is a greeting rather than a question/response.

I typically always respond with I'm okay regardless of how I'm feeling.

The topic of men opening up more always comes up, but I'd imagine the majority of men despite agreeing, will still keep their feelings to themselves and not bring issues up.

It's okay to not be okay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom