Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Man of Honour
From what I have seen they either have to be cut out or I'd need a full cat back system?

I have seen people add flanges so that the original system can be added again. Not sure if it will work if all you remove is the resonator. Take it all out imo and unleash the AMG in all its glory :)

Soldato
Early thoughts on the new E Class (220d):

An absolutely massive step up from the old one in every area, perhaps aside from looks, the exterior isn't really going to get any juices flowing but it's purposeful and looks executive without being too in your face. 'AMG Line' trim a must, and the 20" wheels help.

The interior is brilliant, it's much more S Class than C Class, every surface is well made and there's no plastic tat to be found anywhere, though the piano black centre console scratches very easily, but that's the same on any car that has it. The clocks (non widescreen cockpit) are very clear and easy to read, unlike the old E Class which has a slightly strange design. The huge central screen is pin sharp and thankfully built-in unlike most other Mercs where it's an 'iPad'.

It's easily as insulated as a 5 series, if not slightly better, and definitely better than the A6 and XF. You can only just about hear the road, wind noise is very low and the new engine is much quieter and less revvy than the old 220. It's also more economical and noticeably quicker. The suspension is very well set up too, comfortable without being boaty.

The steering feels a bit flat compared to the 5 series, though, it's certainly not bad, but it's definitely set up as a cruiser rather than something that puts a focus on handling. Having said that, a large exec saloon isn't really meant to be a sports car so I can't see it putting many people off, it's more than capable.

Overall I'm pleasantly surprised, I knew it would be good but for the money it's an exceptional car and the interior has a nice sense of occasion about it, especially the rather extensive ambient lighting that can be found under almost every piece of trim and looks fantastic at night (you can still see it in the daylight too).

I had one for a whole day a couple of weeks back too. It was the 220d SE. My thoughts as follows:

The interior is nice and different, the exterior was horrible - just so ugly. In AMG trim it looked a bit nicer but the rear of the saloon just ruins it for me. My wife said "this is a girly car" and I'd agree with that. Apparently the estate doesn't look much better. Inside it had the large display all the way across into the centre, this was nice and clear and was good in sunlight still. On the other hand, the interfaces were poor. The steering wheel has these little track-pad like things on it which are not very precise and it feels like they have the sensitivity turned down to stop people accidentally touching them whilst driving. Furthermore the centre console has a cover over the menu wheel which is also touch like a trackpad. That is complete rubbish and difficult to use. Then the software menus were a real step back, navigation into sub menus across nav, media, phone, settings, dash etc. wasn't clear enough. This was a big disappointment because it doesn't matter how big the screen is if the system is generally poor.

On the other hand the drive was excellent, the 220d felt spot on and I was impressed by it. It felt much better than the 220d in the last one, not sure what they've done to it, just smoother and quieter. It _felt_ nippier than the BMW 520d and more refined. I'd be interested to drive the 350d with that 9-speed and the various driving modes.

Associate
Had a nose at a nice CLS shooting brake at the weekend, 3 yrs old and 25k miles on it plus it was 3.0l V6 diesel. Very very tempted but I just wonder about the running costs and Im not talking about fuel. They just look lovely and so different from what you see on the roads.

Associate
The cla is an a class saloon, it's a Lower end interior inside compared to the C and personally I think the c class looks better.

I have a C350e saloon and interior quality is first class, (same as the coupe), ride quality is really good as well.

CLA isn't up to the same spec and looks more dated, smaller as well ofc

Soldato
Hi all, set my sights on a C Class coupe 2011, but can't decide between the c250 or 220.

Would you say it's worth it to get the 250 over the 220 if I can or will the 220 suffice. I'm coming from a 1.6 so not got too much experience in this area. I would say half my commute is on the motorway, and the other is on some winding country lanes. Any advice on these cars would be greatly appreciated!

Soldato
Hi all, set my sights on a C Class coupe 2011, but can't decide between the c250 or 220.

Would you say it's worth it to get the 250 over the 220 if I can or will the 220 suffice. I'm coming from a 1.6 so not got too much experience in this area. I would say half my commute is on the motorway, and the other is on some winding country lanes. Any advice on these cars would be greatly appreciated!

Is this the diesel? I had a c250 coupe from new for two years. It was fine, if you're set on diesel go for the 250, 200hp & 369 torque vs 168/295 in the 220 with practically no difference in economy when driven sensibly as they are the same engine in different states of tune iirc. Ideally I'd say go for a petrol 250 or 350 as I wish I had tbh.

Soldato
Is this the diesel? I had a c250 coupe from new for two years. It was fine, if you're set on diesel go for the 250, 200hp & 369 torque vs 168/295 in the 220 with practically no difference in economy when driven sensibly as they are the same engine in different states of tune iirc. Ideally I'd say go for a petrol 250 or 350 as I wish I had tbh.

Diesel. I'm struggling to find any petrol version other then c180 which I don't want unfortunately or way over budget for any petrol c250. Thanks for the info though :)

Soldato
Does anyone have, or have driven, the outgoing (W204) 6.2 C63 saloon on 18" alloys?

I drove one on 19s recently and although I loved the car, the ride was really hard, actually too hard. This was a standard car too, so no performance pack. Was wondering if someone could give me their views on the ride with the 18s?

My Audi runs 20" alloys and 35 profile rubber, so I'm used to firm, but it's not uncomfortable like the Merc was.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I need to sort some photos, but I figure I ought to say - Project Bentley was sold, and the replacement is a rather nice '05 CLS 500. Gary is of the opinion (rightly, it must be said) that even if he pays Mercedes-Benz main dealer rates for servicing and repairs he cannot fail to be better off than owning a Bentley and being a hostage to garages who think that they know what they're doing but don't.

And then charge the Moon to **** a car up.

Repeatedly.

So yeah. Good car, the W219 CLS 500. Very quick indeed, and if I can get him to remember where all the buttons are I'll consider it a win! :D

Associate
Not sure if I can pop a link to my SLK55 ad up buuuuuuuuuuuuut.

..... my silver 07 plate SLK55 is now for sale on PH and SLKWorld. If anyone is looking for a good little example, or knows someone who is in the market, then feel free to check these websites and give me a shout.

Back
Top Bottom