Metro: Exodus [E3 2017]

Soldato
Any news on the gamma correction? It's still horribly washed out last I played compared to the console counter parts. And my screens calibration is fine, it's just this game. Blacks are greys...

Soldato
I think this is why we are seeing so much of the in game stores and loot boxes now. I'm not sure how £30 could be sustainable for them or any triple A game. How many copies would they need to sell at £30 to make any money back. We don't want loot boxes and micro transactions and only want to pay £30 for the big releases. Seems completely unrealistic.

Big publishers will always want to earn as much money as they can, while spending as least as possible, so they will charge accordingly and cut the budgets as much as possible. They can do fine with less, but it doesn't look that good for investors. It's all about the money, not the game.

Soldato
Big publishers will always want to earn as much money as they can, while spending as least as possible, so they will charge accordingly and cut the budgets as much as possible. They can do fine with less, but it doesn't look that good for investors. It's all about the money, not the game.

Fundamentally that's business they aren't a charity they have a duty to shareholders to make money. Not sure how you can make sweeping statements that they can do fine with less without knowing the intracacies of each business model. I would happily charge my clients more if I could and frankly I think we should be paid more not because were particularly wanting but because that's business. Gamers are not a special breed as long as there is sufficient demand at a given price point then the pricing is entirely justified.

Soldato
If we would see big improvements, worthy of that price point, I would say it's a fair price (and maybe I've pay even more on something good), but generally speaking, these money hungry entities fail to provide a basic PC port: proper FoV with a slide, support for practically any display configuration out there, lots of options in menu, etc. Never mind about vendor or API specific features, R&D plus implementation of features far beyond what consoles offer, stop dumbing down gameplay and downgrading graphics and so on.

Paying top dollar for the same product in different clothes over and over again doesn't justify the price. There's one thing to make a profit (which everyone should do) while actually providing progress and plus value and there's a different thing to chase the money part as the only mean - and day 1 DLCs of all sorts, lootboxes etc., are a prime example of that.

Last edited:
Associate
The new patch has made some nice improvements to DLSS and performance in general I found. Very much enjoying the game. Personally think it's worth the price, RTX or no.

Associate
If we would see big improvements, worthy of that price point, I would say it's a fair price (and maybe I've pay even more on something good), but generally speaking, these money hungry entities fail to provide a basic PC port: proper FoV with a slide, support for practically any display configuration out there, lots of options in menu, etc. Never mind about vendor or API specific features, R&D plus implementation of features far beyond what consoles offer, stop dumbing down gameplay and downgrading graphics and so on.

Paying top dollar for the same product in different clothes over and over again doesn't justify the price. There's one thing to make a profit (which everyone should do) while actually providing progress and plus value and there's a different thing to chase the money part as the only mean - and day 1 DLCs of all sorts, lootboxes etc., are a prime example of that.

Does this game fall into that category?

I don't play all of the AAA games that are released but the one's I have played in the last year or two off the top of my head like Metro Exodus, Kingdom Come, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Some Far Cry, The new Assassins Creeds. I probably should add some lesser budgeted games like the Pillars of Eternity and the Divinity games etc. These games were all great experiences with many of the options I would hope for in a PC game (not all but most). The last AC was clearly more grindy, probably because they were selling stuff to make it less grindy, but as someone who normally does all of the side quests and tries to explore all the map, it wasn't an issue.

Considering the cost of some of these games to make and the hours I got from them, £30 is not a reasonable price to expect to pay IMHO. Each of these games will probably end up costing me around 50p per hours entertainment even at a £40-50 cost. Even FO76 has cost me pennies an hour. Hell when I was working in the industry over 20 years ago PC games cost more and there were no Key websites. Essentially people seem to want to pay less for games now than 20 years ago.

I think there are two issues here. Firstly many gaming criticisms and greed seem to focus heavily on these Live Service games like your Destiny's, Anthems and Battlefronts where there are clearly issues. Also people give far to much attention to Youtube reviewers who's business model is built around moaning about games. Many people who have never played a game go on a forum and say it's **** purely based on someone else's opinion who get more hits when they moan about games. Your Jim Sterling's, Angry Joe's and Mack's might be game for a laugh, but read between the lines and their whole persona has little to do with gaming really. It's really Arsenal Fan TV for gaming.

Anyway the TLDR version is that although I really disliked the last quarter of this game, it was value for money and did provide clear progress over it's predecessors. There are many great games out there on PC but they all seem to get swallowed up in the ****** miasma of negativity spouted by Youtube.

Soldato
I haven't played much of Exodus, just a couple of minutes at the beginning (as I've started the previous games one more time - Redux version), but a bit it is the case to this game as the whole industry: video options aren't many, just a few API and vendor specific features implemented, no FoV slider, the audio has the Dolby part, but that's about it. Plus in terms of distribution, the lack of being on all major channels it's also a problem.

For previous installments in the series, in term of gameplay, that "immersive" no hud, speed run through the game, which fails logically within the game own "reality" if you push it to the last difficulty level, got me more disconnected than playing on "normal" difficulty. The speed at which air filters were running out meant that any exploration was impossible and all the "stalkers" that went out, couldn't have really do it (again, within the game's own lore/reality), if that "difficulty" bar/level was true.
You would have found 2-3 bullets on a guy even if you shot him without him able to fire back a single round. Or he could fire tens of them, doesn't matter. It's not a problem for a very arcade type of approach, but it does get on your nerves in time - and this is applicable to almost all games (I haven't played one where it doesn't as far as I remember). And there's the problem of not being able to pick up other guns and gear and use it as your own (and I'm talking about the gear as in body armor and such), but hey, they haven't addressed smaller issues, why would they bother with bigger "economy" problems?

But if you like a series and you want more of the same, I guess it's perfectly fine to have such features in all parts, with minor advancements. :)

Associate
Struggling a little with this having never played the first two.

I seem to be dying a fair bit. Should I be avoiding most monsters and people as much as possible? Monsters dont even drop looks so assuming I should avoid them where possible.

Also having some sort of quest log would be nice - only seems to give info the main quest unless im missing something?

I got a key from a prisoner and he said use it in the terminal, just googled it seems its further into the game. I like the fact its not holding your hand but at least logging that I have a key would for 'terminal' would be nice.

Any tips aside from just play it on what I should/shouldn't be doing?

Will try DLSS again after patch then if its better it looked terrible before compared to native.

Thanks,
Sean

Soldato
At some point in the game you get given some binoculars, listen to what the npc says, if you scan all around you will hear a clicking sound, hold it there for a few seconds and it will automatically be added to your map, in some of those areas new to the map there are safe houses and work benches and upgrades to your gear and weapons.

Associate
I've recently started my play through again but with the cross hairs turned off. It adds to the immersion and gives an actual use to the laser sights. Couple that with a decent headset and it's pretty great.

Caporegime
Just had another update through Steam, 182Mb.

Update 26th February 2019

Build numbers:

Steam build (verify in-game from Main Menu Options or Pause menu) – 1.0.0.2
Steam Store/exe version – 3586168

Patch Notes:

General Stability improvements
Improved performance for integrated video cards
General input responsiveness improvements
Fixed various issues with general saving system
Fixed other general issues

Soldato
I'm still on the first map area but the game is great so far bar two crashes. Only seen two other minor bugs. Great graphics, runs fairly well, highly atmospheric and the story and characters seem interesting so far. The gun mechanic system is very clever. My only dislike so far is the boat sections, although partly avoidable. It's too slow and doesn't control well.

Man of Honour
Hi, is this worth getting?

I see it's on cdkeys for £45, anywhere cheaper?

I haven't played any other Metro games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Struggling a little with this having never played the first two.

I seem to be dying a fair bit. Should I be avoiding most monsters and people as much as possible? Monsters dont even drop looks so assuming I should avoid them where possible.

Also having some sort of quest log would be nice - only seems to give info the main quest unless im missing something?

I got a key from a prisoner and he said use it in the terminal, just googled it seems its further into the game. I like the fact its not holding your hand but at least logging that I have a key would for 'terminal' would be nice.

Any tips aside from just play it on what I should/shouldn't be doing?

Will try DLSS again after patch then if its better it looked terrible before compared to native.

Thanks,
Sean

Haven't played this one yet but based on the previous two the game its more survival than action so ammo is scarce.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 2nd large open world section is brutal on GPUs. Looks incredible though.

*Edit - Lighthouse bug for me, game breaking. Either restart a whole chapter or wait for a patch. Not impressed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom