Michael Schumacher 'Hurt In Skiing Accident'

Soldato
Champions do what they have to do to win, it's the same in any other sport. The championship from 1994 says "Michael Schumacher" not "Michael Schumacher (cheated by punting Hill off)".

Permabanned
It's easy, just unsubscribe from this sack of **** and subscribe to the motorsport thread where the discussion is more appropriate and less retarded.
Yes, that kind of post really helps contribute to the few discussions going on within this thread. :/

In the absence of any actual news, I don't see how the thread suffers because participants who aren't all motorsport enthusiasts discuss F1 and Schumi's career in a wider context. In fact, were those people to post in the Motorsport forum, no doubt they'd be jumped on for not knowing as much as the regulars there.

Soldato
GD yes, but people react in different ways to situations such as this, please try and understand people do get very concerned and over react.

For better or for worse, Schumi has been a massive presence in the world of motor sport for at least 20 years.

Soldato
I think people dislike him only because Hill is British and that was his first major controversy. Had he done that to Alesi or Berger I doubt the dislike would be as strong. That set the tone for the rest of his career - hated for his ruthlessness but respected for his talent. Jerez '97 confirmed that the Hill incident was not a one-off but for the most part after that he just got on with it and thrashed everyone in sight. Having the 'thou shalt not pass' mentality will always lead to controversial incidents, and even when fighting for a lowly 10th at the 2010 Hungarian GP he almost ran Barrichello into the pit wall at 170mph.

However, you only need to look at the 1998 Hungarian GP to see just how good he was. Almost the entire race doing qualifying style laps, absolute on the edge racing. The 1995 Belgian GP he started 16th after a heavy practice shunt, was 5th by the end of lap 5 and wpn easily. He also defended against Hill (on wets) whilst it was raining and he was on dry tyres for several laps until it became impossible to slow the car enough at the end of straight. You wouldn't be allowed to defend several times going into a corner now, but back then it was incredible.

Permabanned
However, you only need to look at the 1998 Hungarian GP to see just how good he was. Almost the entire race doing qualifying style laps, absolute on the edge racing. The 1995 Belgian GP he started 16th after a heavy practice shunt, was 5th by the end of lap 5 and wpn easily. He also defended against Hill (on wets) whilst it was raining and he was on dry tyres for several laps until it became impossible to slow the car enough at the end of straight. You wouldn't be allowed to defend several times going into a corner now, but back then it was incredible.
Couldn't agree more, the guy was an absolute master. When he was in the wet, he was untouchable and to come back from breaking his legs at Silverstone to be a team player in supporting Irvine's title challenge and yet still not have the fear (which I would argue changed Felipe Massa, for example) was just amazing.

Argh, I hate when I accidentally end up in a GD thread.

It's such a cess pit in here!
How does one accidentally end up here? Do you then accidentally post to say how you accidentally ended up here and how you hate it when that happens? :/

Soldato
Q

I know bugger all about cars going round and round a racetrack and know nothing of Shumacher except he was good at going round and round.
Can somebody tell me why he is so hated by many people?
Is it a Man Utd type hate because of success?

Dont worry Dimple.
Some people hero worship their sports idols so if anybody says anything remotely offensive, they throw a hissy fit.

MSc is the most complete driver ever to have raced in F1. He is statistically, by far, the most successful F1 driver.

He battled against many great drivers and beat them all...including Senna (the race in which Senna died, Senna was trying to stay ahead of MSc and taking increasing risks to do so).

Across the years, he was ruthless and left no stone unturned in attempting to gain an advantage over his opposition. This is why I say he is the most "complete" driver.

He also happens to be the driver who received the most bans/DQs in his career. He got black flagged in a race, disqualified from a WDC. Was banned for 2 races in 1994 an black flagged in Silverstone '94...this list goes on.

He was hated for being ruthless and for cheating, to gain an advantage (which is actually quite normal in F1). The only guy who he couldnt tame was F.Alonso, who is widely regarded as the current standard in F1. After losing to Alonso for 2 successive years, MSc quit F1.

Some felt that he won only because he was in the best car, but these people forget that he started winning for Ferrari, right from the start, in a car which was far from the best. Some of MSc's wet weather drives had to be seen to be believed. His first race win against the "unbeatable" 1992 Williams was almost unbelievable.

As an avid F1 fan, I've seen many great drivers come and go, but MSc, IMO was as good as it gets. If I was building a new F1 team and could choose any driver in F1 history, MSc, in his prime, would be the lead driver.

During MSc's career, he was the highest paid driver in F1 history. He had sponsorships which also made him the highest paid sport person, in the World (and that includes sportsmen in USA), for many years running.

Hopefully, this gives people an idea of MSc's status in Motorsport.

;)

Soldato
Schumacher was far and away my favourite driver as a kid. I obsessed over F1. I couldn't understand at the time why I was the only one with a Ferrari flag when I went to Silverstone in 1998 because I thought everyone loved Schumacher too :D

I can understand why people dislike him, and I don't hide from the fact that he made some very bad judgments in his career, but I don't like comments like the one above. Blurting that out without any justification is pointless imo. I do think there are people who are genuinely jealous of his success though. Comments like that make you seem like one.

Sebastian Vettel's going the same way. People needed something to justify their hate for him and Malaysia this year gave them ammo to do so and they'll cling onto that for as long as they can to convince themselves he's not deserving of so many titles because of his ruthlessness or that he 'single-handedly killed the sport'. People hate constant success, I've never understood why.

Last edited:
Soldato
Schumacher was far and away my favourite driver as a kid. I obsessed over F1. I couldn't understand at the time why I was the only one with a Ferrari flag when I went to Silverstone in 1998 because I thought everyone loved Schumacher too :D

I can understand why people dislike him, and I don't hide from the fact that he made some very bad judgments in his career, but I don't like comments like the one above. Blurting that out without any justification is pointless imo. I do think there are people who are genuinely jealous of his success though. Comments like that make you seem like one.

Sebastian Vettel's going the same way. People needed something to justify their hate for him and Malaysia this year gave them ammo to do so and they'll cling onto that for as long as they can to convince themselves he's not deserving of so many titles because of his ruthlessness or that he 'single-handedly killed the sport'. People hate constant success, I've never understood why.

this! :) good post!

hopefully he recovers from this!

Soldato

Here's a little something for those not familiar with F1. 1996 was MS's first season at Ferrari and to be honest, the car wasn't great. Alesi took Ferrari's only win in Canada in 1995, they were struggling and from the first few races it looked like Williams were going to dominate (and as it turned out, they did) so to be 3.7 seconds a lap faster than them, albeit in dreadful conditions and having qualified almost a second slower than Hill shows what immense talent he had. He won this race by 3/4 of a minute.

I don't remember many people complaining when Button 6 of the first 7 in 2009!

Last edited:
Soldato
Dont worry Dimple.
Some people hero worship their sports idols so if anybody says anything remotely offensive, they throw a hissy fit.

MSc is the most complete driver ever to have raced in F1. He is statistically, by far, the most successful F1 driver.

He battled against many great drivers and beat them all...including Senna (the race in which Senna died, Senna was trying to stay ahead of MSc and taking increasing risks to do so).

Across the years, he was ruthless and left no stone unturned in attempting to gain an advantage over his opposition. This is why I say he is the most "complete" driver.

He also happens to be the driver who received the most bans/DQs in his career. He got black flagged in a race, disqualified from a WDC. Was banned for 2 races in 1994 an black flagged in Silverstone '94...this list goes on.

He was hated for being ruthless and for cheating, to gain an advantage (which is actually quite normal in F1). The only guy who he couldnt tame was F.Alonso, who is widely regarded as the current standard in F1. After losing to Alonso for 2 successive years, MSc quit F1.

Some felt that he won only because he was in the best car, but these people forget that he started winning for Ferrari, right from the start, in a car which was far from the best. Some of MSc's wet weather drives had to be seen to be believed. His first race win against the "unbeatable" 1992 Williams was almost unbelievable.

As an avid F1 fan, I've seen many great drivers come and go, but MSc, IMO was as good as it gets. If I was building a new F1 team and could choose any driver in F1 history, MSc, in his prime, would be the lead driver.

During MSc's career, he was the highest paid driver in F1 history. He had sponsorships which also made him the highest paid sport person, in the World (and that includes sportsmen in USA), for many years running.

Hopefully, this gives people an idea of MSc's status in Motorsport.

;)

He is not disliked because he is German, he skirts controversy - both his Benneton championships came due to cheating - both on the track and in the car - traction control anyone?

He also couldnt compete with Britney, Vettel, webber, Hamilton, Button and probably another 5 drivers - his comeback was a disaster for his legacy - Nico comprehensively beat him both season..

However there is no denying his talents, i still think in equal cars and in any conditions Senna would have the edge as he has far more natural talent and ability to drive over the edge, the weekend of his death he out qualified schumacher in a slower car without traction control...

His first year or two in Ferrari are the best years of his career for me, he was in an appalling car but really showed what he could do but even still in the last race his cheating came to the fore - while i dont think Villenueuve could hold a candle to Schumacher as a driver i am very glad he took the title that day.

I could go on (pit pens anyone) and his success years at Ferrari make the team and money spent on Vettel look small fry such was the funding and dominance - it was boring because they had the best car, best team, most money and one of the best drivers - stick Mika in that car and setup and no doubt he would have done the same etc.

Anyway, none of this matters - he was a great driver and a decent chap off the field, no matter my dislike for his driving 'style' i would wish him the very best and hope he does pull through.

Best wishes to him and his family, must be a horrible situation to be in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom