Michael Schumacher 'Hurt In Skiing Accident'

Man of Honour
Personally, unless he makes a decent enough recovery, it may of been better for his family that he was 6ft under, TBH.

I wouldn't want to put that burden on my family. Having me lay there in a vegetative state for my remaining yrs. He has the money, so no doubt he'll have the best care / nurses etc... But for the rest of us, it would be left down to our missus / family to change our diapers !

Hopefully he recovers, and the above isn't going to be the case.. But its definitely a good possibility ATM.

Sometimes it works out that way but sometimes it can be very different - my brother walked away from a motorbike accident with barely more than superficial bruising thanks to the armored jacket, etc. he was wearing, if he'd been just in regular leathers, let alone no safety gear he'd almost certainly be dead or at the very least a broken back.

Caporegime
It's not looking good is it? I think they are probably right that the longer he is in a coma the less chance there is of a full (or even partial) recovery.

Even if his situation is terminal I would imagine that turning off a family members life support is a very difficult decision to make, even if the chance of recovery is less than 1% it still offers some hope to keep them in a coma.

Soldato
It's not looking good is it? I think they are probably right that the longer he is in a coma the less chance there is of a full (or even partial) recovery.

Even if his situation is terminal I would imagine that turning off a family members life support is a very difficult decision to make, even if the chance of recovery is less than 1% it still offers some hope to keep them in a coma.

I know, i can't imagine the how it must be for the family. At least if he was dead, there would be the initial shock, the sorrow but they'd move on. Like this, it'll be like a dark cloud overshadowing everything in their lives, until there's an outcome, good or bad.

Soldato
I think the former Israeli PM was in a coma for 5-10 years, before they pulled the plug. He never recovered. It's quite possible that he may never regain consciousness.

Soldato
I think the former Israeli PM was in a coma for 5-10 years, before they pulled the plug. He never recovered. It's quite possible that he may never regain consciousness.

He was 85 (I think) and his organs were failing - I'm not sure being in a coma had anything directly to do with his death. Schumacher is half that age and presumably still supremely fit when he had his accident, which may or may not be relevant in any recovery.

As far as I know, there has been no word from the hospital or his agent for a couple of weeks now, as the family has requested no information be released. I've no idea where this information has come from or if it's just made up tabloid nonsense based on the fact that there hasn't been any news for a while and they were having a slow week.

Man of Honour
He was 85 (I think) and his organs were failing - I'm not sure being in a coma had anything directly to do with his death. Schumacher is half that age and presumably still supremely fit when he had his accident, which may or may not be relevant in any recovery.

Probably somewhat incidental with brain injuries, way too many variables - sometimes even with extensive damage the brain can work out how to route around it with time, other times a fairly minor injury can pretty much stop everything permanently.

Soldato
I don't believe physical fitness has any benefit when dealing with brain injuries. The brain was damaged and needs time to heal properly (which is why he's in a coma).

The experts in the field have only said the longer a patience is in a coma, the less likely they will make a full recovery. I think two weeks is considered the maximum to make a full recovery. Speculation (and its only that) has been around the time Michael has been in the coma. I really hope he pulls through, but no, it's not looking good at all :(

I'm sure I heard someone on sky news say they have never known any patience who's been in a coma for a month come out and be 100%

The guys a legend and deserves better! really hope he's ok

Sgarrista
Commissario
I don't believe physical fitness has any benefit when dealing with brain injuries. The brain was damaged and needs time to heal properly (which is why he's in a coma).

The experts in the field have only said the longer a patience is in a coma, the less likely they will make a full recovery. I think two weeks is considered the maximum to make a full recovery. Speculation (and its only that) has been around the time Michael has been in the coma. I really hope he pulls through, but no, it's not looking good at all :(

I'm sure I heard someone on sky news say they have never known any patience who's been in a coma for a month come out and be 100%

The guys a legend and deserves better! really hope he's ok

2 weeks? People have been in comas for months and come out fine.

Richard hammond after his rocket car crash was in a coma for the best part of a month.

Caporegime
You actually dont want a stronger helmet (schumachers was split in 2 from the impact), you want one with more absorbative properties to give the head time to slow down.

When I say stronger I mean one that protects the head better... To be pedantic. :p

well it did otherwise he'd be 6ft under by now.. ;)

Well if he ends up in a vegetative state that may have been the best option...

Man of Honour
2 weeks? People have been in comas for months and come out fine.

Richard hammond after his rocket car crash was in a coma for the best part of a month.

Yeah lot of variables, 2 weeks will be about the time for actual physical recovery, swelling going down, etc. after which many people would come around but deeper injuries can take a lot more time, the brain has some pretty incredible abilities to work around or recover functionality lost or impaired which can take a lot lot longer - as was the case I believe with Richard Hammond as his personality was slightly modified due to the brain having to rebuild certain stuff.

Commissario
Sorry, can't give individual reasons when multi deleting posts. You have my word that the subsequent posts were ok.

Edit - JG has sorted it.

Soldato
I still can't believe this is happening. How could this happen to Michael Schumacher? He'll pull through, purely on the basis he doesn't deserve such a tragic fate.
Come on Schumi! :)

Sgarrista
Commissario
Yeah lot of variables, 2 weeks will be about the time for actual physical recovery, swelling going down, etc. after which many people would come around but deeper injuries can take a lot more time, the brain has some pretty incredible abilities to work around or recover functionality lost or impaired which can take a lot lot longer - as was the case I believe with Richard Hammond as his personality was slightly modified due to the brain having to rebuild certain stuff.

From what I read about hammond, it wasn't the physical injury which effected him, it was the emotional one.

Back
Top Bottom