Michael Schumacher 'Hurt In Skiing Accident'

Man of Honour
From what I read about hammond, it wasn't the physical injury which effected him, it was the emotional one.

There is a bit of both to it - the realities of the incident and the experiences of the recovery period changed his outlook on life somewhat but also there are some changes to his personality due to the physical injuries also - fortunatly in his case it seems hes bounced back pretty well.

Man of Honour
I thought I read Richard Hammond was up and about within 2 days there's something on the net I remember which reading which came from Jeremy

Up and about within 2 days of coming out of the coma IIRC, he was in an induced coma for more than a couple of days. He did amazingly well - rebounded within months when most people would take years to achieve the same recovery.

Man of Honour
The Times reporting that they've started bringing him out of a coma:

L’Equipe, the daily sports newspaper, said that the seven-times Formula One champion was reacting positively to the new phase in his treatment.

The newspaper claimed that he was able to open and close his eyes when told to do so, or open his mouth or squeeze someone’s hand.

However, Sabine Kehm, Schumacher’s manager, dismissed the report as speculation.

According to L’Equipe, the attempt to bring him out of the medically induced coma began this week.

Let's hope there is some truth to the story.

Capodecina
Soldato
DM:

Schumacher’s spokeswoman Sabine Kehm...In a statement she said: 'I insist again on the fact that any statement on the health of Michael Schumacher that does not come from the medical team in charge or his management is just speculation.'

BBC:

Both Hartstein and Shieff believe it will be difficult for Schumacher to return to the same level of health he had before his accident.
"It is extremely unlikely, and I'd honestly say virtually impossible, that the Michael we knew prior to this fall will ever be back," Hartstein said

"I think that it will have to be considered a triumph of human physical resiliency, and of modern neurointensive care, if Michael is able to walk, feed himself, dress himself, and if he retains significant elements of his previous personality."

Associate
From the BBC feed covering testing today:

BREAKING NEWS
Michael Schumacher is slowly being brought out of an induced coma following last month's skiing accident, his manager says.

"Michael's sedation is being reduced in order to allow the start of the waking up process which may take long time," Sabine Kehm confirms.

"For the protection of the family, it was originally agreed by the interested parties to communicate this information only once this process was consolidated."

its going to be a long process, but fingers crossed :)

Soldato
My understanding is that as he's in an induced coma then he was always going to come out of it. The question is what state he'll be in after it, looks like we'll see soon.

Associate
He is in an induced coma yer.

Apparently they wanted to bring him out of it, but after CT scans came back the condition of his brain wasn't great still.

Its still a bloody long time to be in a coma for, regardless of it being induced or not. I think the doctors said something like "If he can still walk and dress himself that would be a major victory".

Chances are, at the very best hes gonna have to learn to walk again and do a whole bunch of other stuff like that. Worst case? vegetable.

My question is, he hit his head on a rock, and he had a helmet on right? I guess helmets aren't designed to take the impact of a rock :/

Back
Top Bottom