Michael Schumacher 'Hurt In Skiing Accident'

Soldato
mail-bitch_zps3c58d060.jpg

Man of Honour
Anyone here who can read German? What is the German press saying? Same as the Daily Fail ? Or a little more hopeful?

The news is still the same as it was before:

http://translate.google.com/transla...er-bleibt-im-koma-217_id_3509262.html&act=url

The DM article is speculation:

The Daily Mail is reporting that German outlets Focus and Bild have spoken with neurological experts, who have discussed their views based on reports of Schumacher's condition.

But according to the Daily Mail, the silence on Schumacher's condition has led to anxiety in his native Germany, as publications turn to non-official sources to gain an insight into the potential - or otherwise - of Schumacher making a full recovery.

German publication Focus spoke to neurosurgeon Andreas Zieger of the University Clinic for neurosurgery in Oldenburg, a man not part of Schumacher's medical team.

Professor Zieger speculated that, given the time Schumacher has been kept in an induced coma, "there may have been complications."

"We should not speculate here. Ultimately, we are talking about life and death. A coma can in theory be maintained for a lifetime. It won't hurt the human brain."

Professor Zieger added: "Brain injuries are among the most complicated injuries that can happen to the human body.

"Predictions about how long a person might be in a coma or potential complications are seldom reliable."

Another news outlet interviewed Cologne neurological expert Professor Gereon Fink, who fears that the length of Schumacher's coma, now reaching its 18th day, indicates serious damage in the brain..

"He assumes that Michael Schumacher's health condition is apparently worse than hoped for," the site reported.

"If the injuries are so severe that it would harm the patient, he is kept longer in the medically induced coma," Professor Fink said.

"Depending on where bleeding has taken place can lead to unilateral paralysis, speech disorders or personality changes."

Soldato
Just read the daily fails update on this. They're saying experts are saying the longer this goes on for, the grimmer his chances are. 4 weeks now in the coma. Not good. Apparently there are currently 10,000 fellow German countrymen in a permanent vegetative state. That's a high number ! Much higher than I thought it would be. Mind you there are 80million people living in Germany.. If there's one good thing to come from this.. Is it brings it to the attention of the masses, how quickly things in our life can change and to protect that head ! Dang if it can happen to MS, with his better than the rest of us, instinct and reflexes then take note ! I've even started wearing a helmet whenever I cycle.. Though as a negative, i don't seem to be riding my motorcycle as much.

Caporegime
Just read the daily fails update on this. They're saying experts are saying the longer this goes on for, the grimmer his chances are. 4 weeks now in the coma. Not good. Apparently there are currently 10,000 fellow German countrymen in a permanent vegetative state. That's a high number ! Much higher than I thought it would be. Mind you there are 80million people living in Germany.. If there's one good thing to come from this.. Is it brings it to the attention of the masses, how quickly things in our life can change and to protect that head ! Dang if it can happen to MS, with his better than the rest of us, instinct and reflexes then take note ! I've even started wearing a helmet whenever I cycle.. Though as a negative, i don't seem to be riding my motorcycle as much.

Because wearing a helmet has helped Schumacher... ;)

That said I wear a helmet skiing anyway. I do wonder if this will force helmet makers to make stronger helmets though, or whether it will jist be put down to **** happens (theasably it could be either, just bad luck or something that can be changed).

Sgarrista
Commissario
Because wearing a helmet has helped Schumacher... ;)

That said I wear a helmet skiing anyway. I do wonder if this will force helmet makers to make stronger helmets though, or whether it will jist be put down to **** happens (theasably it could be either, just bad luck or something that can be changed).

You actually dont want a stronger helmet (schumachers was split in 2 from the impact), you want one with more absorbative properties to give the head time to slow down.

Soldato
well it did otherwise he'd be 6ft under by now.. ;)

Personally, unless he makes a decent enough recovery, it may of been better for his family that he was 6ft under, TBH.

I wouldn't want to put that burden on my family. Having me lay there in a vegetative state for my remaining yrs. He has the money, so no doubt he'll have the best care / nurses etc... But for the rest of us, it would be left down to our missus / family to change our diapers !

Hopefully he recovers, and the above isn't going to be the case.. But its definitely a good possibility ATM.

Back
Top Bottom