• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Microsoft Locks Ryzen, Kaby Lake Users Out of Updates On Windows 7, 8.1

Man of Honour
They are limited a bit in pulling Windows 7 due to corporation use or they'd have probably done more to push users on already - we only just finally ditched Windows ME entirely :o so 7 isn't going anywhere for a little while. I'm not sure the entire details as it isn't my role but they tried deploying 10 twice at work and had to pull it due to issues one being the amount of integration with epos/embedded systems and Windows 10 even the versions intended for that role are kind of tragic and caused a lot of downtime - they actually ended up changing all those over to arch linux or something as it integrated ok with 7, didn't interfere with the intended usage and they needed to update them all.

Soldato
This the reason I won't be updating my CPU anytime soon.

I thought that windows 7 was ok till 2020? looks to me that MS forcing people to go to the failed windows 10.
Failed Windows 10? Only if you are a regressionist and the same mindset that feels the need to stay on XP when Windows 7 was there etc.

I dislike OSX..At least a year with it and it is still crap. It has flaws just like windows. Going between wireless and wired sometimes need a reboot to fix. It sometimes crashes just like windows. It is simply not as productive or as easy to use between windows. Also not as configurable as windows. It can behave differently between MacBooks as well even on the she build. Sometimes won't recover from sleep.

No OS is perfect. Windows has consistently been the most useful to me, even though I don't like Microsoft's data mining operation lately.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No OS is perfect. Windows has consistently been the most useful to me, even though I don't like Microsoft's data mining operation lately.

Not so bothered by the data mining myself though I'd rather it wasn't there and not sure where it might lead in the future - but most of it is gathered and reported back as far too generic a profile to be linked back to an individual as such or be particularly telling about an individual.

What I dislike is the amount that control is taken out of the hands of the user - who is better positioned to know what they need/want and might have preferences over those things as well. That and the UI looks horrendous - sure I can stick some 3rd party software on there to fix that but as per my point before Windows 10 isn't a static thing in that regard the next major feature update might change things dramatically UI wise breaking compatibility with existing reskin/theme software, etc. and completely changing around things that I've built up muscle memory and so on in using - and while relearning some of that stuff is trivial it can be a nightmare for older/less tech inclined people who have to follow a known, learnt, path to get to what they want - sometimes even noted down on paper.

Man of Honour
It isn't really a surprise though. I'm not sure why you'd expect them to spend time and money supporting old operating systems for new hardware.
Sure, don't support new features on CPUs. But why lock out any updates for CPUs that are backwards compatible and so should run old features just fine?

Soldato
Sure, don't support new features on CPUs. But why lock out any updates for CPUs that are backwards compatible and so should run old features just fine?
Basically, 7 and 8 are obsolete now and Microsoft only supply updates to them to not screw over people on existing systems who cannot update to 10. Anyone installing an obsolete O/S on new hardware and receiving updates designed for legacy users was taking the **** a bit as that service was there to help other people not them, funnily enough Ryzen/KB systems won't be able to get updates on Windows 98 either (no system can anymore) but people aren't complaining about that.

Man of Honour
Basically, 7 and 8 are obsolete now and Microsoft only supply updates to them to not screw over people on existing systems who cannot update to 10. Anyone installing an obsolete O/S on new hardware and receiving updates designed for legacy users was taking the **** a bit as that service was there to help other people not them, funnily enough Ryzen/KB systems won't be able to get updates on Windows 98 either (no system can anymore) but people aren't complaining about that.
The difference is there is nothing in those earlier systems to actually PREVENT you applying updates. But there now is in W7 and W8.

Soldato
Failed Windows 10? Only if you are a regressionist and the same mindset that feels the need to stay on XP when Windows 7 was there etc.

I dislike OSX..At least a year with it and it is still crap. It has flaws just like windows. Going between wireless and wired sometimes need a reboot to fix. It sometimes crashes just like windows. It is simply not as productive or as easy to use between windows. Also not as configurable as windows. It can behave differently between MacBooks as well even on the she build. Sometimes won't recover from sleep.

I don't think it's fair to use the label "regressionist". I was of the opinion that sticking with XP was pointless in most cases and that Windows 7 was just better. I didn't mind Windows 8 too much, as long as a Start menu replacement application was installed. However, Windows 10 is a far bigger change beyond modifying the looks of the OS and adding an app store you don't need to touch. Now we have adverts in the OS, huge amounts of data mining, and all signs pointing towards MS wanting to move to a subscription-based model. MS's utter contempt for a consistent user experience annoys me too.

Thus I don't think it's "regressionist" to want to stick with Windows 7 or 8 at this point, or something like Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. Hell, it makes me want to switch to Linux more and more every day. The only plus point Windows 10 has for the majority of desktop/laptop users is gaming, and the more games that use Vulkan the lesser that advantage is going to be. DirectX 12 may well counter that, we'll have to see.

Last edited:
Windows 10 is just so easy to use and a free upgrade.

LINUX. Well linux has always made the most basic thing a pain in the ****. Linux could easily have replaced Windows but the geeky click that surrounds it just don't want to. Also why the hell would anyone suffer linux for games lol (Do AAA titles even get to linux - BF1 / The Witcher 3?) That's just desperate. Worst case duel boot.

Soldato

LINUX. Well linux has always made the most basic thing a pain in the ****. Linux could easily have replaced Windows but the geeky click that surrounds it just don't want to. Also why the hell would anyone suffer linux for games lol (Do AAA titles even get to linux - BF1 / The Witcher 3?) That's just desperate. Worst case duel boot.

Linux is useful to have on USB stick, in case of virus, need to wipe windows retrieve files, also in case a friends machine with same problems, but can't boot so use live CD.

As for Windows 7 no longer supported, that sucks on the other way round too, if I install W10 on my machines SATA/Chipset and most likely soundcard drivers aren't available.

Soldato
Open the group policy editor and set it to disabled.

Some people fear change, it doesn't matter if things are either the same or improved they don't like it because it's different.

It was the same when 95, XP and Vista arrived. Great O/S's but many people refusing to upgrade because they had gotten used to the one they had and convinced themselves the new one was inferior.

And then you had Windows 8 where the new Start menu design was literally night and day better but people complained because they couldn't see their desktop when using Start, despite the fact they couldn't interact with it while using the old Start either (I am not joking that was one of the biggest complaints).
Changing from win7 to fedora, you could say that is more of a change.

Each to their own though, personally i don't miss windows at all. In fact i often wish i could use it at work, i would be far more productive.

Soldato
Taken from the untangle forum

. After lab analysis for a few days, I believe I have a definitive list of what to block in Web Filter relating to the ridiculous amount of telemetry MS is gathering with Windows 10. We've found that basically Windows 10 is a keylogger in some cases, and even sends camera/microphone data in 40Mb bundles!

Anyway, enter this into your custom block list, and you are good to go.

a-0001.a-msedge.net
choice.microsoft.com
choice.microsoft.com.nstac.net
corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
corp.sts.microsoft.com
compatexchange.cloudapp.net
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
df.telemetry.microsoft.com
feedback.windows.com
feedback.search.microsoft.com
fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
i1.services.social.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
pre.footprintpredict.com
redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
ssw.live.com
statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
survey.watson.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
telemetry.appex.bing.net
telemetry.microsoft.com
telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
vortex.data.microsoft.com
watson.live.com
watson.microsoft.com
watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Man of Honour

Personally I find some flavours of Linux such as Mint Cinnamon to be far easier than W10 for some things. Not everone plays games. Linux isn't cliquey anymore.

Soldato
The difference is there is nothing in those earlier systems to actually PREVENT you applying updates.
Yes there is, Windows update gets deactivated for obsolete systems after a certain time, hence 98, 2k, etc not being able to access it anymore. The only reason it's still serving updates to 7/8 is because existing 8 systems are still in support (and they are still running it for existing 7 systems too), Support for new Windows 7/8 systems ended in 2016. Legally Microsoft have no obligation to supply updates to anyone installing Windows 7/8 in 2017, and so whether people like it or not they have every right to prevent people abusing the system to gain updates for new installs in 2017, the only reason it's happening now for the first time is because Kaby/Ryzen are the first launched after the end of 7/8 support and so it's possible to detect that they don't qualify.

Man of Honour
Yes there is, Windows update gets deactivated for obsolete systems after a certain time, hence 98, 2k, etc not being able to access it anymore. The only reason it's still serving updates to 7/8 is because existing 8 systems are still in support (and they are still running it for existing 7 systems too), Support for new Windows 7/8 systems ended in 2016. Legally Microsoft have no obligation to supply updates to anyone installing Windows 7/8 in 2017, and so whether people like it or not they have every right to prevent people abusing the system to gain updates for new installs in 2017, the only reason it's happening now for the first time is because Kaby/Ryzen are the first launched after the end of 7/8 support and so it's possible to detect that they don't qualify.

I have no doubt they can legally do it and I acknowledged earlier that MS have the right to do it. However it is very obviously a tactic to encourage an upgrade and I can't see much technical reason why the security updates are blocked for anyone with a newer CPU. People need to understand that companies can and will do this if they are allowed to by their paying customers.

Associate
Not really i find modern games mostly rubbish.
My tastes have changed and i can find a lot off stuff is already available.

Same here, Linux is perfectly viable for gaming these days, I have 460 games in my Steam library, more than I'll ever have time to play. Steam has gone from 50 games to over 3,000 within the last 4 years, there's a ton of interesting and "AAA" games to play. I miss out on the EA/Activision games but once you've played one, you've played them all, and I've grown bored of the generic FPS EA and Ubi churn out.

Soldato

Just look at the world OS ranking. Since windows 10, windows 7 sales have gone up.
So that's real users buying a OS and not what's in the shop unsold.

And when MS is forcing people to use windows 10. You know it's failed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just look at the world OS ranking. Since windows 10, windows 7 sales have gone up.
So that's real users buying a OS and not what's in the shop unsold.

And when MS is forcing people to use windows 10. You know it's failed.

Can you give a link to this world ranking?
(P.s. "Regressionist" was a bit harsh as noted by some people, I just didn't have a decent word for it)

Back
Top Bottom