• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Microsoft Locks Ryzen, Kaby Lake Users Out of Updates On Windows 7, 8.1

Soldato
Ignoring the fact that that isn't actual OS usage, I did mention a couple of posts earlier that because it's basically guesswork a change of 1.2% is well within the margin of error for their data collection. It simply means that last month more Windows 7 systems visited the 40,000 websites that log data than did the month before.

I can see your a fan boy. So I will leave you dreaming ;)

Soldato
A fan boy of what? Reality? :confused:

Marketshare claiming that an obsolete O/S is gaining market share because their observation of 0.004% of web traffic showed them a change well within any sensible margin of error is erroneous at best and fake news at worst.

Soldato
He is right in point though. The user base being used is random, the likelyhood of someone visiting to get their data logged is random. Case in point I am on a W7 computer at work at moment for a specific piece of software and online here, I am never online at home and thus would never be logged as a W10 user.

In fact anything up to 5% would easily be margin of error if not higher. Further to that it would have to show a trend of the figures increasing month on month over 6 months to really be able to suggest that the trend is W7 is taking more market share again.

That is not the case.

You are also likely to see a disperportion of figures of people visiting using W7 because we all know and agree it does have the biggest market share but then the likelyhood of recording the split correctly with the correct figures is less likely as you already a weighted likelyhood of someone visiting with W7 and not W10.

Going further into it. If you took just home users then the split between W7 & W10 would be different again so it depends on how you want to look at the market.

Soldato
Official sales ended in 2013, you can still buy surplus/dead stock but it's sold "as is" just like a sealed copy of Windows 95.

Are basically guesswork, seriously a change of 1.2% is well within the margin of error for their data collection.

Official sales of the OS and different version all finished the same time for both OEM and Retail as per what I stated. Regardless of where you got it from so some were prior to W10 release some were after. It depends on which one you wanted.

Sales are still happening of course cause of old stock. It wasn't though possible to buy OEM (Dell, Toshiba) products with W7 installed although many stated free upgrade to W10 when buying this product as a sales pitch rather than we have to recall all these products to switch the OS pre-installed.

Soldato
Taken from the untangle forum

So if I don't use Untangle do I just add these at browser level ? Per browser using an extension like adblock plus or unlock origin ?I guess it must be at firewall so ESET in my case - is that correct ?

Also re the cortona stopping I have win 10 home and have done the fix to add the group policy editor to my comp but I can't see a search option under computer configuration > admin templates> windows components.

Guess I'll use the registry hack.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also re the cortona stopping I have win 10 home and have done the fix to add the group policy editor to my comp but I can't see a search option under computer configuration > admin templates> windows components.
So you don't have "computer configuration > admin templates> windows components > search" at all?

Soldato
I hope people know there is a difference between MS shipping the OS numbers and the numbers of people actually use the OS.

@ubersonic please show me\link to a site that shows win 10 beating win 7.

But what he stated about the data being collected is correct. There is no way to know the accuracy of what is being stated and the 1.2% is well within margin of error. The same as for Steam info on systems and numbers of players etc they use where the extrapolate the data to give a rough estimate.

I actually don't know anyone directly who at home uses W7 anymore out of the 20 odd people I have daily contact via gaming or general internet browsing etc. My parents updated their two laptops, desktop. My brother his two computers (uni and home), my other gaming friends are all on W10.

To suggest that W7 is increasing market share is not the same as what you are saying either.

Uber also never stated W10 is beating W7. He is saying that the adoption rate of systems being sold now and W7 or W10 being activated now is not in W7 favour and that honestly has to be the case otherwise we wouldn't have the 25% market share W10 has now. Since there was only 10% market share for W8 & W8.1 at the time then it isn't just them migrating, it is that W10 has the greater adoption rate than W7 because OEM's can only ship with W10 and can't downgrade to W7 without going out and buying one of the remaining retail copies from a store.

And once those are gone then it will always be W10 being installed which may be another year away but it will happen where short of getting W7 illegally or transferring from another older machine that has a retail copy then W7 wont ever have the greater adoption rate.

Man of Honour
I actually don't know anyone directly who at home uses W7 anymore out of the 20 odd people I have daily contact via gaming or general internet browsing etc. My parents updated their two laptops, desktop. My brother his two computers (uni and home), my other gaming friends are all on W10.

About 60% of people I know have atleast 1 PC on Windows 10 now - about 1/3rd were auto updated and grumble about it but are too lazy to revert to 7 or 8. Only the minority are that happy with the OS, some being resistant to change or having to relearn stuff but a fair few have privacy concerns or hate the look of it - though several think 8 looks better so not sure what is going on there as there isn't a huge difference overall between those 2.

As an aside when giving people with little to no PC experience the option of 7 or 10 (having given them a chance to use both and not knowing anything about them such as which is newer) they overwhelmingly choose 7.

Soldato
About 60% of people I know have atleast 1 PC on Windows 10 now - about 1/3rd were auto updated and grumble about it but are too lazy to revert to 7 or 8. Only the minority are that happy with the OS, some being resistant to change or having to relearn stuff but a fair few have privacy concerns or hate the look of it - though several think 8 looks better so not sure what is going on there as there isn't a huge difference overall between those 2.

As an aside when giving people with little to no PC experience the option of 7 or 10 (having given them a chance to use both and not knowing anything about them such as which is newer) they overwhelmingly choose 7.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback also as it shows different groups as well. Interestingly I had done the same with a few people who I built PC's for and offered W7 or W10 and they had a try on a dual boot PC I had and said they didn't care as long as it worked. Both have a start menu, desktop icons, search function and internet and work with basic programs fine and that is all they were worried about. Navigation has zero difference in premise and the start menu with the small tiled icons most preferred as they found it visually easier to find what they wanted.

Soldato
Did you read the links or backup what you are saying?

Yep so out those two links you posted together, the first link shows that W10 is increasing and W7 is decreasing although the adoption rate is slow.

The second link I had a flick through but bundles windows together and actually just shows windows as an overall platform increasing, apple decreasing and linux had also a minor increase.

So that backs up what I stated and falls in line with what is happening in the market, which will only increase in W10 share as time goes on as the only other alternative is Linux which will I suspect see another few % increase but nothing major in honesty. There are some good base linux clients out there but they are currently lacking a few key support points and we would not be able to use them for work PC's so will be with W10 for the 470 people at our office as updates are rolled out in stage processes.

We offer an hour seminar to go over the base changes from W7 to W10 to all our employees and no one so far has asked to go back to W7 (which is offered) and some have even gone out there way to update to W10. We of course disable all the ads etc so we provide the info needed to the employees on how to set their windows up accordingly or offer to do it if they bring machine in.

No problems this end on that. I don't personally have issue with W10 other than there are a few minor niggles with the way updates work. That is really about my only grumble with the system how it is at this time since it is just W7 with a facelift.

Soldato
Yep so out those two links you posted together, the first link shows that W10 is increasing and W7 is decreasing although the adoption rate is slow.

The second link I had a flick through but bundles windows together and actually just shows windows as an overall platform increasing, apple decreasing and linux had also a minor increase.

The links show that windows 7 is still the most used OS out there and has been for years.
Point being MS are having to force people to take up windows 10. Where as they didn't with windows 7.

The silly thing is that the new Ryzen cpu runs better on windows 7 lmfao.

Soldato
The links show that windows 7 is still the most used OS out there and has been for years.
Point being MS are having to force people to take up windows 10. Where as they didn't with windows 7.

The silly thing is that the new Ryzen cpu runs better on windows 7 lmfao.

That wasn't anything to do with what I or anyone else stated though. We are on about adoption rates. MS have always tried to force people to move, they just done it much better "for themselves" this time with how they have done it. It also took years for W7 to become market share at the time of release. It wasn't an instant here is 50% the market share.

W10 has still technically been the fasted adopted windows released, it just isn't where it MS want it to be and it isn't really home users, it is enterprise users that have slowed the adoption rate.

Soldato
That wasn't anything to do with what I or anyone else stated though. We are on about adoption rates. MS have always tried to force people to move, they just done it much better "for themselves" this time with how they have done it. It also took years for W7 to become market share at the time of release. It wasn't an instant here is 50% the market share.

W10 has still technically been the fasted adopted windows released, it just isn't where it MS want it to be and it isn't really home users, it is enterprise users that have slowed the adoption rate.

Taking into consideration the abusive push on to people's PC's and the IOT devices the number of willing desktop adopters is far lower.

Soldato
Taking into consideration the abusive push on to people's PC's and the IOT devices the number of willing desktop adopters is far lower.

Not suggesting otherwise from my personal view either and I would go far as to say I agree, but there is no way to actually prove this in any sense without producing a survey for all Windows 10 users on how they got to have the OS and if they chose it.

The point is still that however we look at it the adoption rate was fast at beginning, it has slowed right now but it will pick pace up again as time goes on due to the nature that W7/8/8.1 regardless of W10 and how they are is end of life.

Soldato
No. You replied to what I was talking about. Then tried to change it\bend words. I've noticed your doing it a lot.
Glad I haven't got to upgrade my CPU for a few years yet.

No your post from how I read it was that you are suggesting that W7 is outselling W10 and thus W10 is failing.

This was then noted that you showed that a site logged that there was an increase in W7 increase by 1.07% or however much it was now. I stated that isn't correct and that W10 adoption rate thus sales for W10 is greater than W7.

W7 has overall a larger market share and yes still selling copies but that isn't the same as stating W10 is failing because you can still purchase W7. That was the point at the start. You then linked to things that supported that W10 is being purchased more than W7 one way or another as it has higher growth adoption rate relative to it's market share than W7.

I haven't bent anything, I read the links and took the data you linked and told you what they said. You don't like and decided I have done something otherwise. Maybe I miss understood your first point and you are trying to say something different but in that case I would have thought maybe you could have clarified what you are suggesting then.

No one else appears to have thought you said anything different to what I thought either as you stated we both are wrong on who has replied to you.

Back
Top Bottom