*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Associate
I think its missing some of the depth of previous versions. I know that they want a flatter look, which is fine enough within an app window for menus etc , but it makes for the desktop to be too flat overall. Even in the above desktop image, with no drop shadows to give depth between windows, the whole thing falls flat..

Man of Honour
I think its missing some of the depth of previous versions. I know that they want a flatter look, which is fine enough within an app window for menus etc , but it makes for the desktop to be too flat overall. Even in the above desktop image, with no drop shadows to give depth between windows, the whole thing falls flat..

I could feel there was *something* missing but now you've mentioned it I can't un-see it :( though I always find 10/11 an eyesore though 11 in concept would be the right direction for a modern OS UI.

Soldato
I'll be upgrading my computer next week (including new motherboard and CPU) and will be looking to upgrade from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro.

I have a Windows 10 Pro digital licence linked to my Microsoft Account which I assume will let me upgrade to Windows 11 Pro free of charge?

Also would it be a more sensible option to:-

1. Do a clean install of Windows 11 off the bat after installing new components;
2. Update Windows 10 to Windows 11 just now prior to installing new components;
3. Install new components first and then update from Windows 10 to 11 via Windows Update?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Best off doing a clean install of the latest version of the OS using latest installation media - I've not actually tried that path myself yet but as long as the hardware supports the requirements for 11 the media tool should allow you to use the Windows 10 key/hardware activation to install 11. Failing that you can install 10 and it will let you update to 11 pro via the Windows Update page in Settings. There won't be any charge for the upgrade as long as you are upgrading from and to the same tier of Windows i.e. pro to pro.

Any other combination increases the chance of inheriting possible legacy issues over from the older OS install, etc. though it shouldn't really happen.

Last edited:
Associate
@m@rty As @Rroff said go with a clean install, the same as you I had a Win10Pro licence linked to my my MS account, did a clean install and it activated itself no problem at all. When you create your install media download all your drivers, antivirus software etc to the same USB so you have them ready to go once the install completes.

Soldato
Best off doing a clean install of the latest version of the OS using latest installation media - I've not actually tried that path myself yet but as long as the hardware supports the requirements for 11 the media tool should allow you to use the Windows 10 key/hardware activation to install 11. Failing that you can install 10 and it will let you update to 11 pro via the Windows Update page in Settings. There won't be any charge for the upgrade as long as you are upgrading from and to the same tier of Windows i.e. pro to pro.

Any other combination increases the change of inheriting possible legacy issues over from the older OS install, etc. though it shouldn't really happen.

@m@rty As @Rroff said go with a clean install, the same as you I had a Win10Pro licence linked to my my MS account, did a clean install and it activated itself no problem at all. When you create your install media download all your drivers, antivirus software etc to the same USB so you have them ready to go once the install completes.

Cheers guys, will go with a fresh install

Man of Honour
When you create your install media download all your drivers, antivirus software etc to the same USB so you have them ready to go once the install completes.

This is good advice - for instance I've occasionally had systems where the networking hardware isn't supported by the default installation drivers meaning the OS can't go online to get them, so having them on the media saves messing about.

Soldato
I've installed Windows 11 on a first gen i5 laptop for fun and it doesn't run too bad. It doesn't have TPM or Secure Boot, so it will be interesting to see how the 22H2 update is handled. :D

Soldato
I've installed Windows 11 on a first gen i5 laptop for fun and it doesn't run too bad. It doesn't have TPM or Secure Boot, so it will be interesting to see how the 22H2 update is handled. :D
Well I have disabled the TPM and SecureBoot check in mine because I can't use a bootmenu with SecureBoot enabled, so I hope I dont run into any problems with updates in the future either:eek:

Man of Honour
Amusing that several recent presentations, streams, etc. people have spotted MS employees running Windows 11 on hardware which is unsupported by Windows 11 according to the MS requirements and/or doesn't have TPM support........ I bet many of them don't have to put up with the **** which is updates either the way most consumers do......

Soldato
All the shortcuts has disapearsd from windows tools in the control panel accept for a new one called "Power Automate" after doing window updates?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Amusing that several recent presentations, streams, etc. people have spotted MS employees running Windows 11 on hardware which is unsupported by Windows 11 according to the MS requirements and/or doesn't have TPM support........ I bet many of them don't have to put up with the **** which is updates either the way most consumers do......

Maybe they are testing?

Soldato
All the shortcuts has disapearsd from windows tools in the control panel accept for a new one called "Power Automate" after doing window updates?
Which update caused this? According to Windows Update, my Windows 11 laptop has all available and optional updates installed and Control Panel seems to work for me.
1.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Which update caused this? According to Windows Update, my Windows 11 laptop has all available and optional updates installed and Control Panel seems to work for me.
I have no idea which update made them disappear, but they are still in the start menu, but not in Control Panel>Windows Tools... Where do you get System and Security from as I dont have that in my control panel?
QWNuOt4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom