*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

rrriiiiighhhhttt. /Microsoft walks off slowly looking upwards whilst whistling to self hoping no one notices the avoidance of the question

I'm finding more and more that I'm weighing up my options of where to go with my PC and windows specifically. The whole trend of where windows is going since 11 seems to be in a direction that just isn't listening to users ... or am I not getting it? Forcing through changes, preventing settings from appearing anymore, more and more adverts ... everytime I use my computer there is something that make me think what is this, why is that there? Why cant I?

I don't mind the development of features that can be added to an OS ... but they should be bolt-on optional choices. As a core OS, Win11 is great ... stable, quick etc. Its all the crap on top that kills it.

I actually wish you could have an office 365 subscription which included an core office build OS ... i.e. it had nothing installed other than core OS and office, and the on top of that you chose what you wanted. It'll never happen.

So I've began the process of sorting out my stuff into an organised manner so it can be de-coupled from windows and moved to something else like linux or mac. It'll be a slow process.

I've got 1 more PC to convert to Linux and I'm done with Windows. Crap like this is the reason why. Valve's work on SteamOS has made Linux gaming a reality which was the last thing stopping me moving. I'm dual booting Win/Linux on my main PC just in case but I haven't needed to boot into Windows except for 1 case where I needed to finish a recording project.

So I've began the process of sorting out my stuff into an organised manner so it can be de-coupled from windows and moved to something else like linux or mac. It'll be a slow process.

Best of luck! I don't think it will be as hard as you think but it is a learning curve. If you go Linux I would suggest getting something user friendly like Mint or Pop OS. I went with EndeavourOS and the added complexity would definitely put most people off Linux.

I wonder how much you could cut out of Windows and just have it as a shell for gaming, all I use my PC for realistically is web browsing, email, and gaming, DCS, Warzone, World of Warships, that kinda thing, pretty sure I could do the rest on another platform..

rrriiiiighhhhttt. /Microsoft walks off slowly looking upwards whilst whistling to self hoping no one notices the avoidance of the question

I'm finding more and more that I'm weighing up my options of where to go with my PC and windows specifically. The whole trend of where windows is going since 11 seems to be in a direction that just isn't listening to users ... or am I not getting it? Forcing through changes, preventing settings from appearing anymore, more and more adverts ... everytime I use my computer there is something that make me think what is this, why is that there? Why cant I?

I'm hoping there is an easy way to get the Windows 10 extended support updates or investigate installed LTSC

Windows 10 IOT LTSC looks interesting getting updates until 2032. Might not be a legal way to get our grubby mits on it but I'd rather do that than downgrade to 11. :p

Just checked what was called the VLSC back in the day, I can see a Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC, released on Aug 1 2023 so if they stick to the 10 year life cycle promise that should be 2033, it does however say Jan 13 2032 as its 'Extended End Date', 'Mainstream End Date is still Jan 12 2027 though so maybe Windows 12 will be more to your liking....

I had to boot into Windows 11 to get some info off a program and it did an update that did something to the hard drives that made them read only in Linux until I did a chkdsk. So glad I've made the move although this feeling will probably only last until wine/proton doesn't run something I want!

Well, I was toying with the idea of going Linux on my Surface Laptop 1st gen before Win10 gets sunsetted....but I don't have the time or inclination to faff about....so thought I'd have another go at installing Win 11 on it with the hacks to bypass the CPU and TPM checks.

Made a bootable USB and did a clean Win11 install. I didn't need any hacks, registry keys or anything. It just installed as normal. Once up and running I installed the Surface Laptop Drivers and it's all working perfectly.

I guess MS have quietly removed some of the install restrictions.

Well, I was toying with the idea of going Linux on my Surface Laptop 1st gen before Win10 gets sunsetted....but I don't have the time or inclination to faff about....so thought I'd have another go at installing Win 11 on it with the hacks to bypass the CPU and TPM checks.

Made a bootable USB and did a clean Win11 install. I didn't need any hacks, registry keys or anything. It just installed as normal. Once up and running I installed the Surface Laptop Drivers and it's all working perfectly.

Wouldnt surprise me if they did, I should imagine there are machines out there that will happily run Win11 but cant simply because of TPM, if they want people to move over from Win10 then making it easier works in Microsofts favour if they're planning on using the OS to push adverts into peoples faces, the trade off is probably worth it to them.

Wouldnt surprise me if they did, I should imagine there are machines out there that will happily run Win11 but cant simply because of TPM, if they want people to move over from Win10 then making it easier works in Microsofts favour if they're planning on using the OS to push adverts into peoples faces, the trade off is probably worth it to them.
MS is on a mission to lock down the PC platform so its like an Xbox, been sneaking bits in since before secure boot. MS is worse than Google, at lease Google does not charge to data mine us.

One main improvement I have noticed over win10, Windows Hello is super fast..... Open the lid and and the login screen is only visible for a fraction of a second before I'm logged in and on the desktop. Win10 took a second or two to peer at me first.

Certainly an element of it being a clean install, but overall just a slicker and faster experience than 10, same as my desktop.

I was going to post a video from Level1Techs about Microsoft & Qualcomm (aka: Windows on ARM) but it takes 30min to get to the point and i thought Windows on ARM wouldn't interest many people or they'd discount it.

However he does go into what in his, and my, opinion is the problems with Windows in general. Windows on ARM is just the most current/obvious sign of those issues.

Anyway this is the video, skip to 30min if you just want to listen to the point.

MS is on a mission to lock down the PC platform so its like an Xbox, been sneaking bits in since before secure boot. MS is worse than Google, at lease Google does not charge to data mine us.
Its just annoying in general at some point over the last year they've changed the way UI/text scaling works even on 10 it used to be you could scale text alone now its an all-in-one that scales all UI elements as well so in order to have text thats large enough to read on an UW monitor I now have icon spacing messed up and taskbar thats ludicrously oversized spent the best part of yesterday trying to downsize everything but text its mostly back resembling something close to normality but the start menu still looks like a kiddies "lets learn to read" large print edition. I had to respace the desktop icons manually editing values in regedit

Why does MS have to dumb down/assume all users are clueless idiots all the time? I just don't get it do they have any idea why Windows are losing market share at all are they so very desperate to be apple wannabes that they simply don't care? Its baffling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom