*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Its just annoying in general at some point over the last year they've changed the way UI/text scaling works even on 10 it used to be you could scale text alone now its an all-in-one that scales all UI elements as well so in order to have text thats large enough to read on an UW monitor I now have icon spacing messed up and taskbar thats ludicrously oversized spent the best part of yesterday trying to downsize everything but text its mostly back resembling something close to normality but the start menu still looks like a kiddies "lets learn to read" large print edition. I had to respace the desktop icons manually editing values in regedit

Why does MS have to dumb down/assume all users are clueless idiots all the time? I just don't get it do they have any idea why Windows are losing market share at all are they so very desperate to be apple wannabes that they simply don't care? Its baffling.

Most of it's due to the move of even "in-box" apps like calculator using the stupid Windows store UI framework, rather than the older Winforms style win32 apps.

Are they actually losing market share though ? ( I honestly don’t know). But the tide of opinion seems very much to be turning against them just now
Not necessarily losing market share, but wanting more control over the market share they have - half the reason they've gone with the Qualcomm snapdragon machines is to have some kind of control over hardware, and to push the Windows Store framework via the backdoor i.e. you need to compile for that framework for it to work well on ARM.

Getting "automatic sample submission" re-flagged because it is off almost every day now :( along with the changes to OneDrive to upload files by default and a bug with OneDrive which was uploading people's files it is almost like MS is trying to hoover up people's files :s

MS really needs to **** off.

EDIT: And an update to Edge which tries to trick you into setting it as the default browser if you aren't paying attention...

Last edited:
And twice today it has flagged up that automatic sample submission is off... FFS... sure I can ignore it but it shouldn't be doing this, if I've chosen to disable it that is my decision.

Some Googling suggests setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Spynet\SubmitSamplesConsent to 2 permanently disables it but I can't find much information on that.

EDIT: https://admx.help/?Category=Windows...olicies.WindowsDefender::SubmitSamplesConsent

But probably doesn't disable the periodic prompt to enable it :(

Last edited:
If you're talking about the little yellow exclamation mark where you have to go into the security centre and click dismiss AFAIK you can't stop it from doing that, i spent ages trying to find a way and eventually gave up.

Best solution i came up with is hiding Security Centre from the taskbar.

If you're talking about the little yellow exclamation mark where you have to go into the security centre and click dismiss AFAIK you can't stop it from doing that, i spent ages trying to find a way and eventually gave up.

Best solution i came up with is hiding Security Centre from the taskbar.

Yeah, it is annoying because I want relevant security notifications but I don't want to be constantly reminded about a feature I've intentionally disabled :s it seems to go in fits and starts sometimes weeks before it re-flags it other times like at the moment I've got two systems which are doing it almost daily for over a week now.

If I get annoyed enough I guess I'll have to see if there is some way to forcefully reset it with a small program on startup...

...I guess I'll have to see if there is some way to forcefully reset it with a small program on startup...
IDK a good way to do that, when i last investigated clicking on dismiss didn't/wasn't changing any registry keys so where/how it stores that particular setting was/is a mystery to me.

Getting "automatic sample submission" re-flagged because it is off almost every day now :( along with the changes to OneDrive to upload files by default and a bug with OneDrive which was uploading people's files it is almost like MS is trying to hoover up people's files :s

MS really needs to **** off.

EDIT: And an update to Edge which tries to trick you into setting it as the default browser if you aren't paying attention...
"News and Interests" keeps re-enabling itself on my taskbar I click "turn off" and it lasts about a week before it turns itself back on again. Must have done this 3 or 4 times now first time was "WTF is that? Who the heck put that on there?!"

"Off" should mean "off" not "turn it back on when I'm not looking/till it wears me down". Will you kindly just sod off microsoft.

Last edited:
Its just annoying in general at some point over the last year they've changed the way UI/text scaling works even on 10 it used to be you could scale text alone now its an all-in-one that scales all UI elements as well so in order to have text thats large enough to read on an UW monitor I now have icon spacing messed up and taskbar thats ludicrously oversized spent the best part of yesterday trying to downsize everything but text its mostly back resembling something close to normality but the start menu still looks like a kiddies "lets learn to read" large print edition. I had to respace the desktop icons manually editing values in regedit

The other thing I find is how some apps just dont even scale properly and end up with some horrific blurred mis-sized text.

How hard can it be.... Windows 7 seemed to handle my ultrawide absolutely fine...

I see Microsoft have messed up again.

A mandatory July update is locking people's computers if they have bitlocker enabled.

My bitlocker was on by default, and I'm on the home edition.

I know where my unlock codes are. But I bet millions don't.

Unless Microsoft can quickly remotely mitigate this issue millions could be locked out of their computers.

Mainly Windows 11 versions effected. But also some Windows 10 versions too.

A mandatory July update is locking people's computers if they have bitlocker enabled.

Unless Microsoft can quickly remotely mitigate this issue millions could be locked out of their computers.

My work laptop as bitlocker enabled and I have made sure I have a copy of the key saved somewhere I can get to it easily.

Don't fancy sitting on the phone getting it read out to me with IT lol

Had around a dozen laptops impacted last week at work and that's with a gradual rollout of the update.

Lost two laptops that had keys in AD that didn't match those on the computer, opened up an entire can of worms.

Back
Top Bottom