*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

nothing really relevant to game benchmarks
rather making the problem worse with more NPU related bloat

I wonder if in the future that means on like for like hardware things like the Steam Deck will end up being faster because of less bloat?

When they start retiring 10... We'll become very familiar with it

Straight to windows 12. Though end of life never stopped people just sticking with it for years and years after before.

MS seem to have a pattern of one good one, then a bad one.

Last edited:
MS getting more and more sneaky (new dialogue - or at least I've not seen it before) to try and get people to set Edge as the default browser :( what is wrong with these people.

Last edited:
I dont 'mind' Edge as a browser tbh, its a lot better now than it was when it first came out and they were trying to push their own browser engine..
I think part of the hate towards it was simply because it was Microsoft...
Now that its Chromium based, along with a LOT of other browsers, is it really that bad?

I'd much rather have Edge as my default browser then I would have adverts thrown at me...

I think part of the hate towards it was simply because it was Microsoft...
Rightfully so IMO, MS have not exactly endeared themselves with people. The more shady/questionable choices MS make, the more they hear customers complaints and either do nothing or do it anyway, the more people lose trust in them.

I liked Edge when it first released but it just got more and more cluttered and bloated. I'm trialing Floorp/Waterfox now as an alternative to vanilla Firefox.

I'm due a reinstall tbh, I've just moved from AMD to Intel without doing an actual reinstall, so might create my own ISO, strip all the crud out of stock 11 and use Brave or something else instead..

After revisiting some browsers recently I would say Edge is now probably one of the fastest and most efficient browsers.

In case anyone was wondering, you can easily strip some of the 'extras' Edge throws in, such as Copilot etc. One of the functions it has over the others is the built in split view which I like when I've used Edge.
And all the MS location/telemetry stuff can be removed and/or disabled which also applies to Edge.

But the fact you can't easily opt out of this stuff and have to actually go stripping part of windows is annoying. All this extra stuff like Copilot should be opt in, not applied by default...but that's MS for you.

Last edited:
I dunno why but I miss being able to do a search in File Explorer for say "*.jpg;*.png" like Windows 7 and earlier while as a programmer it makes more sense to use OR instead of ; it just feels odd in a File Explorer search. EDIT: And you can use kind: picture (no space) in later versions of Windows but advanced use of the search definitely is unintuitive.

Last edited:
Latest update asking me to customise my experience, back up my files, add a phone, get Office 365, etc etc has tipped me over the edge. Formatting as we speak and back to a stripped down Windows 10.

I want an operating system that after it's set up and working never asks me to do anything ever again. It should just install security updates and bug fixes in the background and wait for the next restart if it needs it to apply them, without bothering me.

Yeah, it's so bloody annoying. I just want to turn it on and play games, stupid annoying and repetetive questions I can't dismiss before using the operating system for what I want.

Latest update asking me to customise my experience, back up my files, add a phone, get Office 365, etc etc has tipped me over the edge. Formatting as we speak and back to a stripped down Windows 10.

I want an operating system that after it's set up and working never asks me to do anything ever again. It should just install security updates and bug fixes in the background and wait for the next restart if it needs it to apply them, without bothering me.

There is an option to turn off the welcome screen thing... only MS randomly decides to ignore your selection if they feel like it...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom