Military coup in Turkey?

Soldato
One thing I will say. This has been a masterclass of defense by the ruling government (and former politicians) purely through words.

How many times has the phrase, an attack on democracy been used by government officials.

Soldato
My sister and kids had a holiday booked for August in Instanbul. Villa has been paid for and unlikely to get refunded on that.

Not that that is important what so ever with scores being killed.

Caporegime
i have to be up in 5 hours :(

Its incredible. I remember Gulf War 1, watching the A10s do strafing runs on TV whilst i ate my cornflakes before school.
Now days with practically everyone being able to stream live to the internet from their freaking pocket it is such an overwhelming barrage of sound pictures and videos.

I have to go to bed but i really hope that when i wake up the casualty lists are low and its mainly military vs military/security forces. I know they are real people too but at least they are aware of their roles.

Soldato
With those kind of weapons fired at that angle you normally get a few tracers going skywards from the point of impact as well which were entirely absent.

Thats the 20mm from the AH-1W or the T-129 and it's firing HEI (with HEI-T derivative) which you can tell from the little flashes as they impact so there will be no ricochets as each one explodes on contact.

There's plenty of Gulf War 2 videos of the US Marines using the same cannon on their AH-1W and again there's no ricochets.

Caporegime
Read this on another forum, no idea as to whether it's reliable:

I'm getting hints from Turkish "in-the-know" (military ties) friends that the F16 shot down the shooting military helicopter, because it has opened fire on police forces, killing over a dozen of policemen. The source claims the military were told to absolutely avoid bloodshed and this means they've executed their own on the spot for this war crime.​

Others are saying the coup leaders were in the shot down helicopter.

Soldato
Interesting to see that the Kurds, who have had nothing short of an absolutely torrid time under Erdogan are coming out in full voice against the coup. That must be hard, the chance to see somebody who could easily be considered to have persecuted your people be overthrown, but to stand up for your views on democracy anyway.

Soldato
I have to go to bed but i really hope that when i wake up the casualty lists are low and its mainly military vs military/security forces. I know they are real people too but at least they are aware of their roles.

It makes one wonder whose payroll the splinter group is on to follow through with this (if they do) and how loyal they are to their cause. I don't think the average military guy is going to want to die for this.

Caporegime
Surely it will fail? There's too many people on the streets.

It's not really clear how many people there actually are. People walking around are saying the streets are spookily empty in most of the city. A crowd gathered in a square looks big but it doesn't necessarily mean big support.

The pictures of army officers arrested by the Police are more telling, I think. If they can't claim the machinery of state, they'll struggle.

V F

V F

Soldato
It makes one wonder whose payroll the splinter group is on to follow through with this (if they do) and how loyal they are to their cause. I don't think the average military guy is going to want to die for this.

The politicians just see them as expendable.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Special forces saying someone has engaged in treason, first army group and Navy leader not supporting this.

Does not seem planned by main military, will not succeed.

Back
Top Bottom